Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drying time and scratch resistance  (Read 2004 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Drying time and scratch resistance
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:47:50 am »

I'm coming up on my first production run. I'm using HP’s “premium instant dry satin photo paper” for the run.

How long does this paper need to dry? Also once dried, is it safe to stack paper or is there a risk of scratching?

TIA

dalethorn

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:59:23 am »

Quote from: Justan
I'm coming up on my first production run. I'm using HP’s “premium instant dry satin photo paper” for the run.
How long does this paper need to dry? Also once dried, is it safe to stack paper or is there a risk of scratching?
TIA

My experience is it dries enough to stack in 2-3 hours if the drying conditions are good, but is still sensitive to moisture and scratching.  I experimented with a print from a couple weeks ago, and it was very scratch-resistant, but direct wetness ruined it.

tived

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:49:46 pm »

TIA

Sorry but I disliked this paper so much, it also kinks very easily, so be careful when handling - I think you would be better off going up one level in paper quality and your life will be easier, the paper name has escaped me, but I am sure your HP supplier will be able to help you out

Henrik

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 05:11:14 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

> My experience is it dries enough to stack in 2-3 hours if the drying conditions are good, but is still sensitive to moisture and scratching. I experimented with a print from a couple weeks ago, and it was very scratch-resistant, but direct wetness ruined it.

According to your sig, yer from LA. What is average temp there? Here it’s in the 60s. Do you think that left to air overnight is enough drying time before stacking?

> Sorry but I disliked this paper so much, it also kinks very easily, so be careful when handling –

Thanks for the tip. I’ll be on the lookout for that.

> I think you would be better off going up one level in paper quality and your life will be easier, the paper name has escaped me, but I am sure your HP supplier will be able to help you out

In suggesting a different paper quality, do you mean something from the fine art genre of papers as opposed to photo papers? Or do you mean something else? I welcome input.

dalethorn

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 07:37:06 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.
> My experience is it dries enough to stack in 2-3 hours if the drying conditions are good, but is still sensitive to moisture and scratching. I experimented with a print from a couple weeks ago, and it was very scratch-resistant, but direct wetness ruined it.
According to your sig, yer from LA. What is average temp there? Here it’s in the 60s. Do you think that left to air overnight is enough drying time before stacking?
> Sorry but I disliked this paper so much, it also kinks very easily, so be careful when handling –
Thanks for the tip. I’ll be on the lookout for that.
> I think you would be better off going up one level in paper quality and your life will be easier, the paper name has escaped me, but I am sure your HP supplier will be able to help you out
In suggesting a different paper quality, do you mean something from the fine art genre of papers as opposed to photo papers? Or do you mean something else? I welcome input.

L.A. temp varies a lot in the early part of the year - from a high of 60, to sometimes as high as 85 or 90.

I'm lazy and don't hang the prints, just lay them on a table for a few hours, then turn them over to make sure the reverse side dries. Overnight is good if the room you dry them in is heated or air-conditioned, or otherwise dry.

My advice on paper is try several and note the characteristics after a day or so.  Mainly, how does it look?  Read some user reviews on each paper to see what the longevity issues are for that paper.  Not all premium papers are a good match for your ink, and you are limited on ink choices for a given printer, unless you try refills or other substitutes (beware of refills and substitutes!)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:53:27 am »

> My advice on paper is try several and note the characteristics after a day or so. Mainly, how does it look? Read some user reviews on each paper to see what the longevity issues are for that paper.

Thanks for this great advice. I've read many reviews at this site and there are many good papers! Even though I'm just revving up, I already have 6 different paper types, and they all produce great results. And I haven’t even started to play with the Hahnemuhle products! I can see where one could easily build a collection of many different paper types. Of course, it becomes a spendy habit! Which reminds me, any paper vendors offer a discount?

> Not all premium papers are a good match for your ink, and you are limited on ink choices for a given printer, unless you try refills or other substitutes (beware of refills and substitutes!)

Don’t intend to alter the ink formula for some time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up