Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best water-based coating for canvas  (Read 2362 times)

iCanvas

Best water-based coating for canvas
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:41:09 am »

I would like advice with longevity of water-based coatings for canvas.  My experience is water-based coatings don't yellow over time as due oil-based coatings.  However, I am not sure about the longevity of water-based coatings.  I would like to know what you use and the price per gallon. Since I print giclees I have been using a water-based coating from Minwax which costs about $42 per gallon.  I have been doing these reproductions for about 6 years, and have seen some of my first reproductions and the coating is not cracking or peeling.  I print on Epson Premium Canvas Satin.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gar

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:40:06 pm »

Many of use here are using with Breathing Color's "GlamourII" or Clearstar's "Clearshield."  They both cost around $80/gallon but if you buy in quantity it's a lot less.

I dilute GlamourII with about 45% water and spray it with an HVLP gun.  I wind up using about 0.5 ounces per square foot to get a kind of satin finish using only the gloss version.  So I get about 250 square feet per gallon, at very roughly $0.32 per square foot.  If you are doing quantity you definitely want an HVLP gun since you get a much higher success ratio, and use much less paint than if you use a roller.

I did try some commercial water-based coatings.  I didn't like the MinWax at all, especially since it did not spread well with a roller and probably could not be sprayed well.  The best commercial coating I found was "Simple Success" from Woodworkers Supply.  It rolled on extremely well, by far the easiest roller application of any coating I have ever tried.  However, it contains some nasty chemicals and smells like it, you can't even buy the gallon size in states like California.

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:28:28 pm »

Quote from: iCanvas
I would like advice with longevity of water-based coatings for canvas.  My experience is water-based coatings don't yellow over time as due oil-based coatings.  However, I am not sure about the longevity of water-based coatings.  I would like to know what you use and the price per gallon. Since I print giclees I have been using a water-based coating from Minwax which costs about $42 per gallon.  I have been doing these reproductions for about 6 years, and have seen some of my first reproductions and the coating is not cracking or peeling.  I print on Epson Premium Canvas Satin.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gar

We use Glamour II. We make a semi-gloss mixture by mixing the gloss and matte and then diluting with water.

It adds depth to the canvas prints and is completely transparent, with no distracting sheen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up