Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"  (Read 11680 times)

timescapes

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« on: April 07, 2009, 12:54:55 AM »

Some new timelapse and 30p footage shot on my 5D2 over the last couple of months....



Enjoy!
Logged

kaelaria

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2222
    • http://www.bgpictures.com
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:00:15 AM »

Love the vid!  The camera movement effects are great - what did you use for a dolly and control of the pans?  How did you get copyright use for the Pink Floyd music?

timescapes

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:46:59 AM »

Quote from: kaelaria
Love the vid!  The camera movement effects are great - what did you use for a dolly and control of the pans?

I have a little custom dolly I built:



Logged

kaelaria

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2222
    • http://www.bgpictures.com
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 12:13:19 PM »

Thanks - I just found the plans and details for it on the Mumford site - very cool!

Graeme Nattress

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 584
    • http://www.nattress.com
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:48:22 PM »

Quote from: timescapes
Some new timelapse and 30p footage shot on my 5D2 over the last couple of months....



Enjoy!

Great work!
Logged
www.nattress.com - Plugins for Final Cut Pro and Color
www.red.com - Digital Cinema Cameras

mikekobal

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 84
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 05:49:02 AM »

Awesome!
Logged

mikekobal

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 84
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 05:49:45 AM »

great music choice!
cheers,
Mike
http://www.mikekobal.com
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:52:38 AM by mikekobal »
Logged

guyharrison

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 02:50:46 PM »

Hi,

I just got my 5DII for photos, but find myself entranced by the amazing quality video.  Lots of fun zooming and doing focus pulls with the 35-350 lens which is just made for video (has been my backpacking lens for years).

HOW DO YOU DO THIS?  I love time lapse but the canon owner manual is rudimentary to say the least.  Where can I get a good primer on creative video techniques such as long shutter speeds, time lapse, etc?

This is my first jump to digital from file (also am looking for a medium format digital back) and I am very excited about it.  I feel like I did when I first discovered photography!

If you don't mind sharing your secrets please let me know as I want to try this out on tomorrow's sunrise!

Guy


Quote from: timescapes
Some new timelapse and 30p footage shot on my 5D2 over the last couple of months....



Enjoy!
Logged

Paul Sumi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1217
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:04:59 PM »

Some great locations and amazing sequences, looks like a lot of eastern Sierra (Alabama Hills, the radio telescopes near Big Pine), the White Mountains, Zabriskie Point in Death Valley and I think Joshua Tree.  

Paul

timescapes

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 12:20:57 PM »

Quote from: PaulS
Some great locations and amazing sequences, looks like a lot of eastern Sierra (Alabama Hills, the radio telescopes near Big Pine), the White Mountains, Zabriskie Point in Death Valley and I think Joshua Tree.  

Paul

Yep!  Those are some of my favorite spots.  Also some shots of the Saguaro cacti from Ajo, AZ and some VLA shots from Magdalena, NM.  

I'm really looking forward to this summer in the high Sierras!
Logged

Paul Sumi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1217
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 01:16:35 PM »

Quote from: timescapes
Yep!  Those are some of my favorite spots.  Also some shots of the Saguaro cacti from Ajo, AZ and some VLA shots from Magdalena, NM.  

I'm really looking forward to this summer in the high Sierras!


I'm curious, where were the surfers and the off-shore oil rig about a minute into the video?  Santa Barbara Channel?

Paul

GregW

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 306
    • http://
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 11:08:23 AM »

I think your video is a great answer to the question, why does a stills photographer need video? Very inspiring.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:09:40 AM by GregW »
Logged

timescapes

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »

Quote from: PaulS
I'm curious, where were the surfers and the off-shore oil rig about a minute into the video?  Santa Barbara Channel?

Paul

That's Huntington Cliffs at Huntington Beach, CA, near "dog beach."
Logged

KevinA

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 953
    • Tree Without a Bird
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 06:40:41 AM »

Quote from: timescapes
That's Huntington Cliffs at Huntington Beach, CA, near "dog beach."

Does it take all night to shoot a sequence, I bet it gets cold. How often do you take a frame for the star shots?
 It would be difficult to do that here in the UK it would cloud up and rain halfway through!
Great images.

Kevin.
Logged
Kevin.

timescapes

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
New 5D2 Video: "Timescapes, Learning to Fly"
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 12:49:53 PM »

Quote from: KevinA
Does it take all night to shoot a sequence, I bet it gets cold. How often do you take a frame for the star shots?
 It would be difficult to do that here in the UK it would cloud up and rain halfway through!
Great images.

Kevin.

Regardless of the exposure time -- whether it be 10s or 90s -- I usually aim for about a 4-second interval between frames.  For daytime shooting with fast-moving clouds, you might drop the interval to 2s or 3s.  Very fast clouds, 1 second.

Yeah, it gets cold!  And the bummer is, it's difficult to have a campfire because the light pollution would ruin any nearby shot.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up