Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: H3D50 + HTS + 28MM + Stitch  (Read 14324 times)

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
H3D50 + HTS + 28MM + Stitch
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 02:41:00 pm »

Quote from: cjmonty
Really nice to see you throw out what it can do- great and really helpful.
I cant help but notice that the straight 28mm shot aint too shabby.

Any Lens Cast issues?

Thanks for pointing out the 28mm shot.  It looks excellent in its full rawness!

I have never experienced any lens cast issues with the 28 separately or with the HTS.  But to be fair I have not used it in anger enough to unequivocally say there will be no lens cast.  There is plenty of facility in Phocus to correct for lens cast.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 03:00:57 pm »

This site is always good for a chuckle. It seems to me counterproductive to detract and diminish any tool before trying it.

As one who shoots architecture for a living (and have for over 25 years) and now uses an HTS, I consider it worth every penny. I use it on every shoot.

R

Quote from: Leonardo Barreto
Adam, thank you for answering for me, it is exactly what I think, probably the effort -and money- is better spent on non-retro focus lenses with wide coverage...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:13:14 pm by rsmphoto »

Streetshooter

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 03:58:00 pm »

Quote from: rsmphoto
This site is always good for a chuckle. It seems to me counterproductive to detract and diminish any tool before trying it.

As one who shoots architecture for a living (and have for over 25 years) and now uses an HTS, I consider it worth every penny. I use it on every shoot.

R

Richard,

I'm glad you like it. But you should never assume people haven't tried it before commenting. It isn't good enough for me, simply doesn't compare to a proper Large Format camera with a full range of movements and good lenses. That's my opinion anyway.

Pete

• Capture One
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 04:18:33 pm »

Quote from: Streetshooter
Richard,

I'm glad you like it. But you should never assume people haven't tried it before commenting. It isn't good enough for me, simply doesn't compare to a proper Large Format camera with a full range of movements and good lenses. That's my opinion anyway.

Pete

Pete,

It was never meant to compare to a large format camera and full range of lenses.

However, some photographers who do not want or wish to use such a solution have a real alternative with the HTS.

That is the point of it.

David

David Grover

Carsten W

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 04:28:59 pm »

My mind is still stuck a bit on the utility of shifting with the HTS 1.5 when, if you stitch to the max. extent possible, you only get back the original coverage. It seems it has two possible uses: stiching to get bigger files, and if you have a lens which is 1.5x as wide as you need (or more), then you can just shift to correct perspective. Am I missing something?
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

rsmphoto

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 06:49:50 pm »

It's hard for me to believe that anyone really thinks it was Hasselblad's intention to try to replace Large Format with the HTS, (and thus Canon and Nikon with their PC lenses)? Of course it doesn't. Why would it? I don't expect it to.

The HTS is simply a practical answer to a desire to expand the utility of the camera system.

It's a tool that fulfills a need for some like me, who use the system in a particular manner, not for others, like you who prefer LF.

Quote from: Streetshooter
Richard,

Pete
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:35:49 pm by rsmphoto »

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 07:01:17 pm »

I was initially really interested in getting the HTS 1.5....for about 5 minutes after reading the entire Hasselblad press release. It is pretty useless for the majority of my architectural photography as the 28mm lens suddenly becomes a 43mm lens, which is nowhere near wide enough for the majority of my shots. It's a pity because it would have made my life a lot easier. I don't know if it's technologically possible to make a wider lens to be used with the HDS1.5. Than that could be interesting.

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 12:21:01 am »

Hey, but you can stitch the 43mm back to 28mm, and ... tilt it. What else you want for only $5k ?

Quote from: Enda Cavanagh
I was initially really interested in getting the HTS 1.5....for about 5 minutes after reading the entire Hasselblad press release. It is pretty useless for the majority of my architectural photography as the 28mm lens suddenly becomes a 43mm lens, which is nowhere near wide enough for the majority of my shots. It's a pity because it would have made my life a lot easier. I don't know if it's technologically possible to make a wider lens to be used with the HDS1.5. Than that could be interesting.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:21:36 am by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa

• Capture One
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 02:54:27 am »

Quote from: Leonardo Barreto
Hey, but you can stitch the 43mm back to 28mm, and ... tilt it. What else you want for only $5k ?

Leonardo, you need to rethink the purpose and use of this device.  Photographers who have already bought the device, like rmsphoto have real uses for it, exactly like a PC lens from Canon or Nikon, but in our case you have the benefit of adapting five H lenses.  Not to mention its the only TS device that uses lens data to correct distortion, CA and vignetting.

Best,

David
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:55:14 am by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 09:44:21 am »

David, You have a valid point. If there are photographers using it it must be useful and it is positive that Hasselbald took the time and effort to design it and produce it. I think that this proves the need for control of perspective, and of lenses with wide and wider views.

Technology solved the problem of robotic focus, and an alternative to chemical imaging. The next big thing to solve is the problem of the REFLEX box. When we eliminate the mirror we will have non retrofocus lenses that can be made wider and cameras more dinamic... This will probably begin with CAMERA RED, a non traditional camera manufacturer that would think in a completely unorthodox way ...

Anyway, too much theory, I will go now for a 3 day Easter holly day hopefully to do more and talk less.. take care    

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad

Leonardo, you need to rethink the purpose and use of this device.  Photographers who have already bought the device, like rmsphoto have real uses for it, exactly like a PC lens from Canon or Nikon, but in our case you have the benefit of adapting five H lenses.  Not to mention its the only TS device that uses lens data to correct distortion, CA and vignetting.

Best,

David
[font=Comic Sa

archivue

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 09:14:44 pm »

Lens Equivalent lens with the HTS 1.5 Angle of view diag/hor/vert
HCD 4/28 mm 6,3/45 mm 71°/59°/45°
HC 3,5/35 mm 5,6/55 mm 59°/49°/37°
HC 3,5/50 mm 5,6/75 mm 44°/35°/27°
HC 2,8/80 mm 4,5/128 mm 27°/22°/16°
HC 2,2/100 mm 3,5/155 mm 23°/18°/14°

so, if rodenstock can offer there 40 shift and tilt digaron with a Mamiya 645 it will be even better and wider than it !

• Capture One
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 01:59:46 am »

Quote from: archivue
HC 3,5/35 mm 5,6/55 mm 59°/49°/37°
HC 3,5/50 mm 5,6/75 mm 44°/35°/27°
HC 2,8/80 mm 4,5/128 mm 27°/22°/16°
HC 2,2/100 mm 3,5/155 mm 23°/18°/14°

so, if rodenstock can offer there 40 shift and tilt digaron with a Mamiya 645 it will be even better and wider than it !

IF.

Currently there is little or no information on these new lenses and so far they have only been shown on 35mm mounts.

The HTS is available now and modifies five existing lenses.
David Grover

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 03:09:34 am »

I don't get it. What is this...? David shows some examples of HTS usage and people are trying to put down the stuff he works with/for by trying to 'find better' solutions?

Indeed people already using the H system can find use for this 'adapter'. There are more cases than shift to put the HTS to use. In numerous occasions I have too limited DoF with my H where I don't want to go beyond f16 but for the thing I want to achieve I actually should go beyond it. If the HTS can give me the ability to tweak around the plane of focus it is a very welcome piece of equipment for me.

If only the price would be more friendly I would appreciate the device even more. Even at this price point I will buy it sooner than later since it will make my life much easier.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 05:20:46 am »

Quote from: adammork
for architecture, as this example looks like, not that useful - when you put the straight 28 mm shoot over the stitched image, you reward for the work of stitching 7 images is to my eyes, the same
images combined with some nice dark corners.

If goal is to kill time, then making 7 images and thereafter stitch them, is of course way more efficient than just do one shoot    - in this perspective my Rodenstock 23 mm seems as a bargain......

other subjects than architecture, it's probably more useful.

very best
Adam

its probably for people who do only occasional and sometimes an architecture shot, i cant see any "full time" architecture photographer doing his work with such tool.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Carsten W

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 05:32:40 am »

Quote from: rainer_v
its probably for people who do only occasional and sometimes an architecture shot, i cant see any "full time" architecture photographer doing his work with such tool.

If 28mm * 1.5 is wide enough, then I don't see any serious limitations to the setup? Big if, though.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

archivue

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 06:39:40 am »

Quote from: carstenw
If 28mm * 1.5 is wide enough, then I don't see any serious limitations to the setup? Big if, though.

That's the point,

45mm isn't wide enought for architecture... but still a valid set up for a lot of applications !

an other point, what about distortion...

rsmphoto

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 08:09:28 am »

Quote from: rainer_v

Rainer, with all due respect.....  that is utter BS.

Are you sure you want to stand by such a perceptually self-righteous statement as this?

A particular set of tools does not make the photographer, they just may, or may not make his job technically a bit easier. (In this case, I'm not sure I could say they'd make it "better" since that's quite subjective isn't it?).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:34:29 am by rsmphoto »

hvk

• http://www.vonklopp.se
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 08:20:46 am »

What about it? Please elaborate.

/Henrik

tho_mas

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 09:38:41 am »

Quote from: hvk
What about it? Please elaborate.
and what about sharpness fall off? We've seen some captures with the HTS on the forum by now. showing the field of view or certain possibilities of use. But never a 100% crop of the edges.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:39:11 am by tho_mas »

• Capture One
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 03:39:00 pm »

45mm isn't wide enought for architecture... but still a valid set up for a lot of applications !

Apart from the architecture photographers using it?

Distortion is fully corrected based on the T/S and Rotation settings off the HTS, which are displayed on the camera, written to the image file and then used to match one of the 60,000 lens maps in Phocus (our software) to correct for CA, Vignetting and Distortion.

David Grover
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up