Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Article about Miami and noise in images  (Read 17198 times)

JamesA

Article about Miami and noise in images
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 01:13:58 am »

Quote from: John Camp
I'd wait a bit, for that Micro 4/3 from Olympus, to see what they do with it. They make terrific lenses when they want to, and this could be a very Leica-like camera. The big question mark at this point is how fast the lenses will be, or if they will just come across with a couple of crappy P&S-style "super-zooms" with the first twist. If they do that, though, they'll be missing their market: there's a positive hunger out there for a compact cameras with a relatively large sensor and good glass.

JC

Well, one of the next ones is going to be a 14-140mm (something like that) zoom that'll cost $1k and won't be fast.  The new G1H is (at first) going to be sold only as a kit with that lens, $1800 U.S. sugg. price.

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 11:51:01 am »

Quote from: Wally
fwiw,
Ah Wally you have it right on the head.  That's what it's all about, but one would have had to be there to know what your talking about.
Most serious street shooters shoot with a prime lens and usually just use one focal length anywhere from 28-50mm. That requires you to get right up and into the action. If you do that after a while you will begin to see things from the perspective of your focal length and will develop an eye for what is in that bubble. You will actually capture much better photographs because you will be more focused on what will work rather than what you could shoot with a 10X zoom.

When walking down a street where do you look? Do you look 4 blocks down since you can reach it with your 300mm zoom? Or do you look up and try to see what is going on 5 stories up. How much are missing because you are looking down the street rather than what is right next to you?

BJL

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 01:58:15 pm »

One normal to moderately wide lens works for a good chunk of street photography, but far from all: for example, not for the longer shots in Michael's recent essay. Substantial cropping is about equivalent to using a substantially smaller sensor: more IQ loss than the lower speed of a zoom, I suspect.

Right now, my fantasy for a small, discreet kit is a small Micro Four thirds body with in-body IS, articulated LCD (no complaints about LCD washout with night photography!), the promised Panasonic 20/1.7 "wide normal", and a smallish telephoto zoom. Camera motion is far more of a worry for most of my photography than subject motion, so several stops of stabilization is worth far more than a lens that is several stops faster, given the weight, cost, and shallower DOF that goes with faster apertures.

Ray

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 08:57:32 am »

As I understand, the article is about using high ISO without flash. How useful is your camera in low light? The old 5D is remarkable. Here's a shot at ISO 1600 without flash, in a night market in Chiang Mai ... an artist trying to support his two kids.

[attachment=12866:ISO_1600...ash_1824.jpg]

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 09:03:58 am »

Quote from: Ray
As I understand, the article is about using high ISO without flash. How useful is your camera in low light? The old 5D is remarkable. Here's a shot at ISO 1600 without flash, in a night market in Chiang Mai ... an artist trying to support his two kids.

[attachment=12866:ISO_1600...ash_1824.jpg]

Ray, I see he´s already painted Michael, second row on the left... which one is you and who the babe in the ´bra?

Rob C

Edit: Painted? No, probably pencilled him in.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:04:50 am by Rob C »

Ray

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 10:00:16 am »

Quote from: Rob C
which one is you and who the babe in the ´bra?

The babe in the bra, I have no idea. However, I can assert that I'm definitely not featured in the painting.

This is me, giving a terrible fright to a tiger. You can tell from his blurred right paw that he's agitated. I'm sorry that I should give such distress to tiger. I hope Jesus forgives me.

[attachment=12873:Tiger_0144.jpg]

Ray

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 10:35:53 am »

In case anyone takes exception to my harsh treatment of tigers and accuses me of animal cruelty, I'll offer the following shot showing that I'm very loving.

[attachment=12875:Tiger_on_lap_0133.jpg]

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 04:13:39 pm »

In case anyone takes exception to my harsh treatment of tigers and accuses me of animal cruelty, I'll offer the following shot showing that I'm very loving.

Which one's the big pussycat?  
David

alfin

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 05:39:51 pm »

I have also done that! A bit scary actually and I’ve always thought they were rough like a horse’s tail, but they are really smooth and soft like small pussycats.
Lars Mollerstrom

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 05:51:48 pm »

You two are both effing mad.

Rob C

Ray

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 10:23:30 pm »

You two are both effing mad.

Rob C

And I thought I was one of the sanest persons anyone could hope to meet   .

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 04:20:49 am »

And I thought I was one of the sanest persons anyone could hope to meet   .

Ray, sorry for being so slow these days: now I understand: it´s the magic of Photoshop!

Rob C

Ray

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 05:21:15 am »

Ray, sorry for being so slow these days: now I understand: it´s the magic of Photoshop!

Rob C

No it's not. Those shots are unmanipulated, apart from color, contrast and sharpening. They're snapshots taken with my camera by one of the tiger marshals or wardens. These are Buddhist tigers. Very peaceful! They are fed chickens. No red meat.

Rob C

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 04:26:56 am »

No it's not. Those shots are unmanipulated, apart from color, contrast and sharpening. They're snapshots taken with my camera by one of the tiger marshals or wardens. These are Buddhist tigers. Very peaceful! They are fed chickens. No red meat.

Only joking abut the PS, Ray, but the marshal sure doesn´t suffer from camera shake - guess cool nerves must go with the job, brief that it might probably prove to be... Very touching was the youtube video clip about the re-union with the lion called Christian.

Rob C

Ray

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 08:42:57 pm »

Only joking abut the PS, Ray, but the marshal sure doesn´t suffer from camera shake - guess cool nerves must go with the job, brief that it might probably prove to be... Very touching was the youtube video clip about the re-union with the lion called Christian.

Rob C

The lens on my 5D had IS, but despite this fact most of the shots those marshals took were not sharp due to misfocussing or too slow a shutter speed. I should have had the foresight to set my 5D on ISO 1600 and F16 before handing it over.

Here's one I took of a young New Zealand lady (on a working holiday I think) demonstrating how to chain up a rebellious youngster.

[attachment=12969:Chaining_tiger.jpg]

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 09:29:22 pm »

Where did you go to tickle tigers?
You look a right pair of softies!
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 10:32:05 pm »

Quote from: JamesA
Honestly?  Better to lose some shots than make dozens of poor quality shots with a problem, be it noise or whatever.   Prior to good zooms (1950s?) how did people manage?
Quite simple, they didn't pixel peep obsessively.
If you were to post work from those days online, they would be sneered at by many for their poor quality. A better qaulity image, does not necessarily make for a better photograph. Many times it's better to have a grainey not perfectly sharp image than no image. Look at iconic images from the last century and many are not sharp, grainy, blurry or all 3 in the case of some war photographs.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Ray

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2009, 10:39:16 pm »

Quote from: jjj
Where did you go to tickle tigers?
You look a right pair of softies!

The location is quite close to Death Railway Bridge 277 over the Khwae Yai river, Kanchanaburi, Thailand, as featured in the movie 'The Bridge on the River Kwai'.

There's a movement by the monks of a nearby temple to save the tiger from extinction. The first stage is to raise money from tourists by allowing them to mingle with tame tigers, closely supervised of course.

I wonder what William Blake would have thought!  

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

[attachment=12973:Tickling_tiger.jpg]

Rob C

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2009, 04:40:35 am »

Ray you´ve really blown it now: the magic of the movies and even of the conjouring arts is not to reveal trade secrets!

Far better to have delicately removed all sign of chain or collar and then, voila, your own religion: Animal Animism. Coulda cleaned up - the new Maharishi...

Sore throat and back yesterday, today and probably tomorrow. Dulls the sense. Summer is long in coming and my daughter and her two girls are here for a short Easter break and rain doesn´t do much to help them enjoy the trip. Old misery guts neither, I suppose, but c´est la vie; some days are better than others.

Ciao - Rob C

Ray

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 05:36:52 am »

Ray you´ve really blown it now: the magic of the movies and even of the conjouring arts is not to reveal trade secrets!

Far better to have delicately removed all sign of chain or collar and then, voila, your own religion: Animal Animism. Coulda cleaned up - the new Maharishi...
Ciao - Rob C

Drat it! And I was trying to create the impression I was brave and fearless. Can't fool you folks   .
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up