Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Used 4800?  (Read 4151 times)

shootergrl

Used 4800?
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:32:45 am »

I'm looking at purchasing a used Epson 4800 locally.  The printer was previously used to print on t-shirts so is loaded with heat transfer ink.  My question is, is it possible to clean the old ink out and replace it with Epson K3 inks, how should I go about doing it if so and does it seem like it's worth it?  I've got new inks ordered but don't want to blow through a couple of hundred dollars worth if it isn't possible to clean the old inks out entirely and end up with artifacts etc.  Should I buy a different used 4800 or bite the bullet and save up for a 4880?

Any help, advice is appreciated.  Thanks

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Used 4800?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:20:30 pm »

Quote from: shootergrl
I'm looking at purchasing a used Epson 4800 locally.  The printer was previously used to print on t-shirts so is loaded with heat transfer ink.  My question is, is it possible to clean the old ink out and replace it with Epson K3 inks, how should I go about doing it if so and does it seem like it's worth it?  I've got new inks ordered but don't want to blow through a couple of hundred dollars worth if it isn't possible to clean the old inks out entirely and end up with artifacts etc.  Should I buy a different used 4800 or bite the bullet and save up for a 4880?

Any help, advice is appreciated.  Thanks

7900 is only $3500 with the rebate. Not sure what a 4800 costs but my 7900 output is out of this world.
Dan Berg
Bergs Canvas Gallery

Peter McLennan

Used 4800?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:02:47 pm »

A prime candidate for a continuous inking system.  You don't say how much they want for it, but unless it's worn out, the 4800 is a workhorse.  I'm not sure how you do it, but the menu system should give you an indication of how many hours the printer has on it.  Consult Epson online or use the manual. I'd think $200 would be a good price for one that has had plenty of use.

Flushing the inks will consume plenty of ink, hence the CIS recommendation.

www.inksupply.com

for Epson compatible ink and CIS hardware.

shootergrl

Used 4800?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 10:42:42 am »

Thanks for your suggestions.  I think I've pretty much talked myself out of buying this particular printer.  Can envision printing a 16 x20 3 months down the line and having it ruined by a droplet of the old ink.  Now only problem is whether to find another used printer or purchase new - the new ones are so cheap it's hard to resist!

Janice

john milich

Used 4800?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:11:23 pm »

i have a 4880 that comes with imageprint 7 and a pretty full set of 220ml carts for sale.  primo condition, $1,900 in NYC

jm

Quote from: shootergrl
Thanks for your suggestions.  I think I've pretty much talked myself out of buying this particular printer.  Can envision printing a 16 x20 3 months down the line and having it ruined by a droplet of the old ink.  Now only problem is whether to find another used printer or purchase new - the new ones are so cheap it's hard to resist!

Janice

shootergrl

Used 4800?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:28:52 pm »

Thanks jm.  I've looked at buying from the states but would have to pay taxes getting it over the border.  Not worth it at this juncture.

Janice

mmurph

• http://
Used 4800?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:38:16 pm »

Midwest Photo Exchange has the 4880 for $1,400 new.

www.mpex.com

Not sure if Epson added any new rebates on it after the old expired on 3/31. I know they did on the 3800.

shootergrl

Used 4800?
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:09:24 pm »

thanks for the tip.  I thought the prices had come down quite a bit on the 4880's.  Don't see another rebate yet but it looks like they have free shipping which is important for something this size.  Guy in town wants $1200 for his 4800 with the heat transfer inks - had a feeling that was a little on the high side.  All the stats on the printer are 5 out of 5 but I just can't get past the ink issue.  It would be nice to be able to just blow something (other than ink) through the lines to clear them completely out before loading fresh inks in.  Shame for a quality printer to just be sitting idle and (potentially) end up just being trashed if he can't get rid of it.  As (I believe) they said on SNL a few years back though "wouldn't be prudent!".

Thanks again
Janice
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:09:57 pm by shootergrl »

a.lorge

Used 4800?
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 09:33:30 pm »

You could get a set of cleaning carts to clear out the heat transfer inks.  A full set will cost about $200.  cleaning cartridges.  I recently converted an epson 4000 to a dye sublimation inks (basically the reverse process of what you are looking to do).  I ran two power cleanings with the cleaning cartridges installed in between switching ink sets and the new ink set works fine.

shootergrl

Used 4800?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 09:52:07 am »

Thanks for the information on the cleaning carts and your experience changing inks over.  Will have to see if the gentleman wants to lower his price to accommodate my expenses.  Have another printer am also looking at for less.

Peter McLennan

Used 4800?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 11:09:03 am »

Way, way, WAY too much money for that printer, IMHO.

shootergrl

Used 4800?
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:51:41 am »

What do you think would be a reasonable price for this printer?  I've gotten numbers from $200 - $1500.

Quote from: Peter McLennan
Way, way, WAY too much money for that printer, IMHO.

stevebri

Used 4800?
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 10:54:09 am »

Hi Shooter,

I recently bought a second hand 4800 here in NYC, it cost me $800 with extra inks and a lot of Epson roll paper, it also came with the box.  It is rock solid and a definite workhorse and the prints are stunning.  There is a separate container that holds the drip absorbers, sort of like a drip tray, when you look at the Epson software it tells you in terms of percentage how long you have before it needs a change, they cost 40 odd dollars to replace.
$200 is too cheap for one of these printers, R2400's go for more than that on Craigslist.  Anything in the $500-$800 range depending on condition I think is a realistic 'good price' right now.  The achillies heel of this printer is if you regularly swap matt black for photo black ink... it is wasteful.  i don't so it didin't affect my buying choice

Hope this helps.

S

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
Used 4800?
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 11:14:39 am »

You're looking at the potential for a world of pain by trying an inks changeover in this printer. It's very possible that even with a thorough cleanout, the new ink you put in will react with residue of the old, and cause problems with the nozzels.

I'd strongly caution you about trying to change over from dyesub ink to pigment. Better to get a new printer or a used one running the ink you want to use.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

shootergrl

Used 4800?
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 12:12:21 pm »

How many prints had been printed on your new to you printer?  I'm in Canada so I expect to pay a little more than in the States - fewer available, higher initial cost etc.  Sounds like you're happy with your purchase.

Quote from: stevebri
Hi Shooter,

I recently bought a second hand 4800 here in NYC, it cost me $800 with extra inks and a lot of Epson roll paper, it also came with the box.  It is rock solid and a definite workhorse and the prints are stunning.  There is a separate container that holds the drip absorbers, sort of like a drip tray, when you look at the Epson software it tells you in terms of percentage how long you have before it needs a change, they cost 40 odd dollars to replace.
$200 is too cheap for one of these printers, R2400's go for more than that on Craigslist.  Anything in the $500-$800 range depending on condition I think is a realistic 'good price' right now.  The achillies heel of this printer is if you regularly swap matt black for photo black ink... it is wasteful.  i don't so it didin't affect my buying choice

Hope this helps.

S

stevebri

Used 4800?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:14:08 pm »

Hiya,

i'm not sure of it's mileage...  (can you check it anyone...?).

i bought it based on the fact that it was in a fancy place that made movies... not a sweaty/busy print shop.  Buying anything cheap thats anywhere near to a print place is asking for a high mileage unit.  NYC is full of media places, thay have a lot of high end stuff and often don't use it a lot...

S

shootergrl

Used 4800?
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 11:30:30 am »

Thanks.  I think I will probably wait.  Have a whole set of inks now so at least won't have to add that into price of a new, or used, printer.  I appreciate all the input I've gotten here.  Nice to have experienced people sharing their knowledge.  Tremendous help for those of us starting out.

Quote from: marcsitkin
You're looking at the potential for a world of pain by trying an inks changeover in this printer. It's very possible that even with a thorough cleanout, the new ink you put in will react with residue of the old, and cause problems with the nozzels.

I'd strongly caution you about trying to change over from dyesub ink to pigment. Better to get a new printer or a used one running the ink you want to use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up