Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital camera for Landscape Lighting photos  (Read 2243 times)

Wayne Jacobsen

Digital camera for Landscape Lighting photos
« on: June 11, 2004, 09:42:36 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I think you are (almost) describing a Canon 10D or Digital Rebel or a Nikon D70.  They are only 6 MP, and might not fit (with appropriate lenses) within your $1200 budget.  But I think they are going to be far better than the digicams for long exposures.  (Having said that, I have not used any of the 8 MP digicams, so I might be all wet.)[/font]

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 11:22:40 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']What Jonathan said...

About the only thing I can add is that given your $1200 stated budget, you cannot practically mention that in the same sentence as "with a high quality digital camera", let alone 8MP.  Add to that "I want maximum details in shadows" and "I will need fairly fast processing times"  and you are pretty much describing state-of-the-art DSLR capture like the 1D MKII.  While a 300D is a possible contender at 6MP, add in 17-40 or 16-35 L zoom and you are still over your budget by 20- 50%.[/font]
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

steve-parrott

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 06:44:04 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I'm working with an ongoing project to shoot nighttime photos of houses and properties that have low-voltage lighting installed. I've been working quite well with a medium format film camera, but would like to supplement that with a high quality digital camera.

Here are my needs:
I will need long exposure times (up to 3 minutes).
I will need fairly fast processing times so I can get as many shots as possible in my 15 min. (dusk) window.
8 MP.
I need a high quality lens with superior optics at both wide angle and telephoto settings.
I need to be able to add filters.
I want to be able to use it easily in the dark.
I want maximum details in shadows.
I don't want weird flares from light sources.

That's it. Any suggestions? My budget is at around $1,200.[/font]

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 08:54:41 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Actually the only camera that will really fit the criteria (excepting cost) is the Canon 1D Mark II. None of the point-and-shoot digicams are going to perform well in multi-minute exposures, and I don't think you will be happy with the flare resistance of digicam lenses, either. The 10D/D70 idea is a fairly reasonable option but you are giving up resolution and noise performance compared to the Mark II.

Don't bother with on-the-lens filters when shooting digital except for a polarizer. Shoot RAW, bracket if necessary, and set white balance in post. Warming/cooling/color balance filters and the like are far better done in Photoshop than on the lens.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up