Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broncolor heads history - need some info  (Read 16012 times)

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
Broncolor heads history - need some info
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:12:57 am »

I need to pick up about 10 Bron heads and I am trying to figure out the differences between various Bron heads and their approximate age. I know the current Pulso G4 but have no clue about the older models and its limitations when used on Grafit and Scoro packs. I really do not feel like spending $28,000 for 10 heads so your input truly has a dollar value attached to it for me.
Thanks in advance.
Andre Napier

kingsize

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 05:27:22 am »

Regardless of age, ensure that the heads have updated tubes to withstand the verso and scoro higher voltage other wise you risk tube failure.

you can run any bron head since 30+ years from memory. The current heads are the unilite which is ideal for rugged general use, and then the pulso g for when you need total accessory compatibility and also focusing control. there is also a pulso twin which is a bi-tube head. all heads are pack compatible (though you may not always get modeling bulb support with some battery packs)

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 06:04:11 am »

Quote from: kingsize
Regardless of age, ensure that the heads have updated tubes to withstand the verso and scoro higher voltage other wise you risk tube failure.

you can run any bron head since 30+ years from memory. The current heads are the unilite which is ideal for rugged general use, and then the pulso g for when you need total accessory compatibility and also focusing control. there is also a pulso twin which is a bi-tube head. all heads are pack compatible (though you may not always get modeling bulb support with some battery packs)

When purchasing new, the price that is listed is WITHOUT flash and modeling lamps.  When purchasing used, the price of the tubes is discounted considerably.  New flash tubes are $500, so this is not an insignificant consideration.  Pulso heads are frequently available on eBay.  Unilites are rare.  Michael Murphy is very knowledgeable about all of the BRONCOLOR products, including many of the rare light modifiers.  Michael, frequently has BRONCOLOR heads and modifiers for sale, and having purchased from Michael, can only say he is very fair and totally dependable in his dealings.

mmurphy7@comcast.net

Good luck with what sounds like a very interesting project,

Jerry Reed

Dave McRitchie - Bron Imaging Group

• Capture Integration
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 07:24:24 am »

Hi Andre,

Jerry is incorrect on the pricing.  All broncolor lampheads are sold as complete.  i.e. they come with flashtube, protection domes and modeling lamps. The current lampheads are Pulso G, Unilite & Picolite.   The new tubes with a * rating are rated to handle 90,000ws per minute.  The Pulso and Unilte use the same * rated flashtube.  They are available as both 1600ws and 3200ws.

Previous lampheads are;

Primo, Flashman, Pulso F.

Pulso F was the predecessor of the Pulso G.  They can be used with the new * rated tubes also.  The Flashman was similar to a Pulso F, but does not have the handle on the rear and also does not have a fan.  This is important in either long flash sequences or running with full modeling lamps.

Kind Regards,
Dave.
Dave McRitchie (e-mail Me)

National Sales Manager, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor &

AndreNapier

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:36:49 am »

Thanks Guys for your answers.
Does anybody no the difference between Pulso 4 and Pulso G4, I mean besides $2,000.
Andre

BJNY

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:50:00 am »

The PulsoG4
- uses a two-pin 300W model lamp vs. screw-in 250W
- has a knob to focus the flashtube
- stand-mount is more sturdy & fits onto standard 5/8" studs
- has a handle on rear for positioning ease.

The older Pulso 4 flashhead could possibly be self-upgraded if desired
with rear handle and stand-mount at reasonable cost.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:02:06 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

BJNY

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 09:53:04 am »

Double Post
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:54:32 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:56:00 am »

Quote from: Dave McRitchie - SBI
Hi Andre,

Jerry is incorrect on the pricing.  All broncolor lampheads are sold as complete.  i.e. they come with flashtube, protection domes and modeling lamps. The current lampheads are Pulso G, Unilite & Picolite.   The new tubes with a * rating are rated to handle 90,000ws per minute.  The Pulso and Unilte use the same * rated flashtube.  They are available as both 1600ws and 3200ws.

Previous lampheads are;

Primo, Flashman, Pulso F.

Pulso F was the predecessor of the Pulso G.  They can be used with the new * rated tubes also.  The Flashman was similar to a Pulso F, but does not have the handle on the rear and also does not have a fan.  This is important in either long flash sequences or running with full modeling lamps.

Kind Regards,
Dave.

please be aware also that early early pulso heads..2-8 did not have the rear handle..or the black grip-handle but a small round blue grip knob.
I thought the pulso F  heads (introduced late ninties ) are designated as such for the abilty to "focus" the flashtube within the reflector by moving the tube and modeling light in and out about 1 1/2 inches - this alters the effect of the reflectors.  the p70 + p40 reflectors were designed for the pulso 2 and 4 heads and the p65 for the pulso 8 and bi-tube 4 head.  
paul

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 04:32:01 pm »

You should check with YOUR local agent, as it seems to vary, because where I am, the list price most definitely does NOT include the tube or modeling light. And yes, any head will work with any pack, you just need to be aware of the tube rating when using the newer packs as mentioned.

Cheers.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

mattlap2

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 04:50:18 pm »

Andre,

Pulso 4 heads were the original 3200 w/s Pulso Flashhead.    Pulso F's added focusing ability to the flashtube.   Pulso G brought a new stand mount as well as internal modifications and are the current head.  Pulso G's appeared about 5 years ago.   Pulso F's can be as old as about 12 years.   And Pulso heads can go all the way back to the mid 1980s.

Primo's can be had pretty cheap, but I am not a big fan of the reflector mounts.   Unilites are a great design and are quite cost effective if you do not need focusing abilities in the head.   Picolites are fantastic for certain applications, but rather limited in others.

AndreNapier

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:05:11 pm »

You guys are wonderful. Thanks to all who responded. I think I will go with unilites since the price is quite acceptable and I do not need the focusing feature. It seems better option than buying heads dating back to 80' or 90's. I just bought the flashring P and Para 220 and hoping to have lots of fun.
Andre

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 07:11:43 pm »

Quote from: AndreNapier
You guys are wonderful. Thanks to all who responded. I think I will go with unilites since the price is quite acceptable and I do not need the focusing feature. It seems better option than buying heads dating back to 80' or 90's. I just bought the flashring P and Para 220 and hoping to have lots of fun.
Andre

hi andrei,

i just moved from profoto to bron. i picked up 4 grafit packs and 7 heads from a big studio closing in new zealand. so far, i love the grafits. they arnt as cool looking as the profoto stuff, but they beat profoto in just about every test i do. i might buy scoros in the future, but the grafits still are very advanced, even tough they are at least 10 years old in design. at a stop down in power, they are very fast to charge, it makes it hard to justify the scoros. and 3200 is a heap of power, so it isnt a deal breaker that the grafits can be used at half power to get similar charge times as the scoro.

i have half unilite heads and the rest pulso 4s. i prefer the unilites- they seem stronger, and look more modern. the only thing about bron thats weak against profoto (besides looks) is the brons crappy softbox mounts. not a big fan of bron softboxes either, chimera are a lot nicer design.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:08:47 pm »

kind of a funny post after your "a year later" post andre. Interesting info in here tho...

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 01:33:24 am »

True but lighting gear holds its value rather well.

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 02:14:38 am »

very true...
Pages: [1]   Go Up