Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds3 Autofocus Accuracy Adjustment  (Read 17369 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
1Ds3 Autofocus Accuracy Adjustment
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2009, 12:16:17 pm »

Quote from: infocusinc
Well, the camera is back in my hands.  Its been raining all day so I can't really test. I did check the sensor and it is quite clean except for whatl ooks like a small fliud spot at right at the edge of the sensor.  All of my setting were the same as when I sent the camera in, except date, time and frame number.

Checking the microadjust on all my lenses found them all still very close.  I did change a few, one or two points, but that could have just been user error from the last adjustment.

Visually the autofocus seems superb, and the few snaps I took around the house were spot on.  I'll test more tomorrow when the weather clears.

Ran some AI Servo test today at the park, Tennis players, joggers and cars on the street.  300mm F4is.  Only about 2 percent out of focus, inner points, outer points, all fine.  OOF may have been camera movement.

I'm quite happy with both the service and the repair.

Now for the real test, my Pom at the dog park LOL!
Craig Lamson Photo

francois

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2009, 10:56:25 am »

Ran some AI Servo test today at the park, Tennis players, joggers and cars on the street.  300mm F4is.  Only about 2 percent out of focus, inner points, outer points, all fine.  OOF may have been camera movement.

I'm quite happy with both the service and the repair.

Now for the real test, my Pom at the dog park LOL!
Craig,
Thanks for reporting, this is encouraging!
Francois

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 01:03:40 pm »

I sent my 1DsIII in for the auto-focus fix a few weeks ago. The camera now focuses extremely well, whereas before I was lucky to get half of my pictures in focus. I'm very impressed, and the turnaround was only a week.

francois

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 05:56:20 am »

Quote from: G_Allen
I sent my 1DsIII in for the auto-focus fix a few weeks ago. The camera now focuses extremely well, whereas before I was lucky to get half of my pictures in focus. I'm very impressed, and the turnaround was only a week.
Thank you for the info. I contacted Canon this morning and I'm awaiting a shipping box.
Francois

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 09:01:18 am »

Quote from: francois
Thank you for the info. I contacted Canon this morning and I'm awaiting a shipping box.

Wow! they send yoiu a box over there? Here I only got a shipping label   Good luck on your repairs.
Craig Lamson Photo

francois

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2009, 11:00:23 am »

Wow! they send yoiu a box over there? Here I only got a shipping label   Good luck on your repairs.
At least that's what they said but I can remember that Canon and Nikon have struck some agreement with the Swiss postal service.
Francois

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2009, 07:04:00 pm »

Just thought I'd add an update.  At the gentle urging of a friend here on the forum (thanks David!), I bit my lip and called Canon service and initiated the warranty repair.   Within a few hours I had the email with the shipping label.  I boxed my camera up, attached the label -- UPS Ground --  and shipped it off.  This was Tuesday last week, and I confirmed delivery to Canon on Monday morning of this week, California to Virginia.  Canon did the repairs and shipped the camera back to me on Wednesday via 2-Day FedEx, an interesting combination of shipments I thought...  Anyway, it arrived today and according to the sheet, the AF work was done AND the firmware was updated.  That part is really interesting, because I had already installed the latest firmware update(???)

Whatever, the result is the camera focuses immensely better, locks on moving targets and stays locked on.  It may be just my inner glee being overly stimulated, but it really seems even the single-point, single mode AF is much more accurate.

So, +1 happy camper!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 07:06:20 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

dseelig

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2009, 10:00:53 pm »

Hi Jack
I am glad it worked out for you. I am very into the feel of a camera and the mk 111's defitnley are much better after this last upgrade. David

francois

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2009, 04:44:58 am »

My experience is very positive. Contrary to what Canon Switzerland told me, I didn't receive the box and/or shipping label and had to send my 1Ds Mk3 via standard post service. The whole process (shipping to Canon, adjustments, shipping back to me) took 5 days (Saturday & Sunday included). I didn't have the opportunity to stress the AF system extensively but I can say that tracking is definitely improved. I also agree with Jack's comment about the single point AF, single mode. Firmware update was also mentionned with the wrong version (for the 1D Mk3 and not for the 1Ds Mk3). My firmware was already up to dateā€¦  
Francois
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up