Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds3 Autofocus Accuracy Adjustment  (Read 17416 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1Ds3 Autofocus Accuracy Adjustment
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 06:39:15 am »

Just got the response back from Canon:

Dear Mr. Dallam:

Thank you for your reply.

The warranty carried by your camera is a repair warranty, not a
replacement warranty.  Unfortunately, we cannot replace your camera with
a new unit.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this has been for you.  Please
write to us again if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Erik
Technical Support Representative

To which I say: Have you ever heard of Nikon?

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 07:22:13 am »

Quote from: dwdallam
Well that is good to know. I feel like I can't rely on this camera any longer. Everytime I go to a  shoot I worry about it breaking down.

How many times has it actually ever let you down?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Mark F

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 05:43:42 pm »

I would call - the several times I have called to ask a technical question about one of the functions, or this time re the repair, the guys at the other end were very professional and cordial.  Try telling them in a nice way your history of problems ( I remember your posts from months back) and the current problems and get them either to give the entire body a thorough testing or ask for a replacement. If that doesn't work try asking to speak to a supervisor, and then his (her) supervisor, etc. You just might get a better response by speaking to someone.    Also, if you use your 1Ds3 to make a living you should be part of their professional group and I've read that pro's get speedier and better treatment than nonmembers.  

Personally, I couldn't deal with an unreliable camera even as a backup. Murphy's law - you know when it will fail.

You mean to get a new camera back? I could rewrite tech support and ask if that is a possibility.

I just emailed them back asking if that were a possibility. I also have a problem with the viewfinder right hand, vertical EV control. When I choose an EV setting, the marker will bounce up and down a couple of seconds before settling on the EV I chose.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:45:28 pm by Mark F »
Mark

Josh-H

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 06:17:07 pm »

Also, if you use your 1Ds3 to make a living you should be part of their professional group and I've read that pro's get speedier and better treatment than nonmembers.

Yes. CPS Australia turned around my 1DSMK3 in 24 hours for me for the service call.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

tandlh

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 06:59:48 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
Yes. CPS Australia turned around my 1DSMK3 in 24 hours for me for the service call.

It took a week for UPS to get my 1DsIII back to Virginia but it was delievered to them today.  This morning I got the email from Canon saying that they received it.   Their website updated this afternoon and said the work was completed.  I'm miffed that I had to wait 2 days for Canon to get UPS to send me a mailing label, and then once I had it was UPS normal slow service.  If I had known that I would have just taken it to the post office and sent it priority mail.  I told the guy on the phone that I was CPS but he either missed it or it doesn't mean anything for the method they pay for to ship it back for the AF fix.  But once they got it they claim to have repaired it the same day.  With luck they'll ship it back a faster way.

Fortunately I have no horror stories with Canon, they have always treated me very well.  Knock on wood it will stay that way.

dwdallam

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 08:29:55 pm »

How many times has it actually ever let you down?

Twice in under 7 months.

dwdallam

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 08:31:08 pm »

How much does the professional Canon thing cost?

dwdallam

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 08:32:28 pm »

Quote from: tandlh
It took a week for UPS to get my 1DsIII back to Virginia but it was delievered to them today.  This morning I got the email from Canon saying that they received it.   Their website updated this afternoon and said the work was completed.  I'm miffed that I had to wait 2 days for Canon to get UPS to send me a mailing label, and then once I had it was UPS normal slow service.  If I had known that I would have just taken it to the post office and sent it priority mail.  I told the guy on the phone that I was CPS but he either missed it or it doesn't mean anything for the method they pay for to ship it back for the AF fix.  But once they got it they claim to have repaired it the same day.  With luck they'll ship it back a faster way.

Fortunately I have no horror stories with Canon, they have always treated me very well.  Knock on wood it will stay that way.

I have no problem with their service either.

Josh-H

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 08:36:36 pm »

How much does the professional Canon thing cost?
CPS

And here is the PDF application Application

Make sure you meet all their criteria and attach all the documentation they require or it will be rejected.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:38:32 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

dwdallam

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 08:48:44 pm »

CPS

And here is the PDF application Application

Make sure you meet all their criteria and attach all the documentation they require or it will be rejected.

Thanks Josh.

tandlh

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 11:04:58 pm »

It's even easier here in the states.  Go to this site http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...amp;keycode=CPS  and simply do it all on-line.  YOu'll need the serial numbers of your lenses and cameras as that's the basis of their determination of whether one is qualified for CPS or not.  But you'll get your number immediately and the welcome package in about a week.

Ted

Josh-H

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 12:09:48 am »

It's even easier here in the states.  Go to this site http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...amp;keycode=CPS  and simply do it all on-line.  YOu'll need the serial numbers of your lenses and cameras as that's the basis of their determination of whether one is qualified for CPS or not.  But you'll get your number immediately and the welcome package in about a week.

Ted

Wish Canon Australia were that organized.

We have to fill in actual paperwork and submit - online would be very nice indeed.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Mark F

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:00 am »

I called Canon on a Friday late afternoon, and got the UPS mailing label by Monday morning email. Sent to a site in Virginia. Had the camera back the following Monday by Fed Ex.

Mark

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 06:00:56 am »

Well I am defiantely at the other end of the spectrum. I have my 1DSMK3 since january 2008 - so a year and a bit now and have shot more than 15000 frames and havent had a single issue.

Again I'm with Josh! I received the first customer MkIII to arrive in Sydney in Dec 2007, and apart from having the v/f level adjustment done (next day turnaround) it has been faultless since (over 20000 frames). The turnaround for this AF firmware install was under 24 hours. As I said I wasn't experiencing problems before the new firmware and all has been fine since.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 09:37:19 am »

I took my DsIII's in for the update and then when I got home dropped one on the cement of the driveway - the 35 1.4 sheared off at the mount and busted in half further up the barrel and the body took quite a hit.
I went straight back to Canon (Australia) and they had it back to me all together calibrated and check in 24 hours.

CPS Oz rocks..  

tandlh

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 11:39:21 am »

Good news on mine.  As I mentioned earlier I called Canon on Friday but didn't get a shipping label till Tuesday.  I immediately boxed it up and took it to a UPS drop off point that same day.  It didn't get to Virginia till the following Tuesday (yesterday).  I received an email yesterday morning saying they had it, I checked yesterday afternoon saying it was complete, and this morning I checked and have a FEDEX overnight tracking number which shows that I'll have it back in my hands today.  Aside from the time spent with UPS this is amazing service.

Ted

dseelig

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 01:48:45 pm »

I had 2 1d mk 111 and 1 ds mk111 for the latest correction . I know have a pinpoint accurate focus with  my 300 2.8 the lens that Galbraith had the most trouble with. also I can now use center point with assist from the points around them I moved the focus to normal focus speed. I amhappy. Also on one of my cameras the shutter was replaced. I highly recomend the upgrades. David

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:03 am »

Good news on mine.  As I mentioned earlier I called Canon on Friday but didn't get a shipping label till Tuesday.  I immediately boxed it up and took it to a UPS drop off point that same day.  It didn't get to Virginia till the following Tuesday (yesterday).  I received an email yesterday morning saying they had it, I checked yesterday afternoon saying it was complete, and this morning I checked and have a FEDEX overnight tracking number which shows that I'll have it back in my hands today.  Aside from the time spent with UPS this is amazing service.

Ted

Mine went to UPS on Friday afternoon last, it was received by Canon on Tuesday, work completed on Weds, and shipped.  Due back home on Friday.  Thats pretty good service if you ask me.  According to Canon they replaced a washer, adjusted the camera and updated firmware. I'll report on the actual performance this weekend
Craig Lamson Photo

francois

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 06:03:09 am »

Quote from: infocusinc
Mine went to UPS on Friday afternoon last, it was received by Canon on Tuesday, work completed on Weds, and shipped.  Due back home on Friday.  Thats pretty good service if you ask me.  According to Canon they replaced a washer, adjusted the camera and updated firmware. I'll report on the actual performance this weekend
Let us know if you see any difference. I'll call Canon next week…
Francois

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 05:59:43 pm »

Quote from: francois
Let us know if you see any difference. I'll call Canon next week…

Well, the camera is back in my hands.  Its been raining all day so I can't really test. I did check the sensor and it is quite clean except for whatl ooks like a small fliud spot at right at the edge of the sensor.  All of my setting were the same as when I sent the camera in, except date, time and frame number.

Checking the microadjust on all my lenses found them all still very close.  I did change a few, one or two points, but that could have just been user error from the last adjustment.

Visually the autofocus seems superb, and the few snaps I took around the house were spot on.  I'll test more tomorrow when the weather clears.
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up