Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds3 Autofocus Accuracy Adjustment  (Read 17419 times)

Mark F

1Ds3 Autofocus Accuracy Adjustment
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:06:38 pm »

Now that I have had my 1Ds3 back from Canon for a week after sending it in under the Autofocus Accuracy Adjustment program, it seems to me that there is a noticeably increased lag time between pressing the shutter and the body beginning to autofocus.  Has anyone else noticed this?

On the good side, it seems that the AF accuracy has been improved. Also, the total turn around time from when I dropped off the camera at UPS until it arrived back was only 9 days.  Not bad, taking shipping time into account.
Mark

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 03:47:08 am »

Quote from: Mark F
Now that I have had my 1Ds3 back from Canon for a week after sending it in under the Autofocus Accuracy Adjustment program, it seems to me that there is a noticeably increased lag time between pressing the shutter and the body beginning to autofocus.  Has anyone else noticed this?

On the good side, it seems that the AF accuracy has been improved. Also, the total turn around time from when I dropped off the camera at UPS until it arrived back was only 9 days.  Not bad, taking shipping time into account.

Now there is a conformed auto focus accuracy defect in some 1DS3's?

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 05:26:58 am »

The latest recall included the 1Ds mkIII.

dwdallam

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 06:10:09 am »

Quote from: pom
The latest recall included the 1Ds mkIII.

OK that's old info. My camera was made after that problem and has the new mirror. But I did have to get the err 99 problem fixed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:58:32 am by dwdallam »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 06:14:54 am »

Quote from: dwdallam
Wonderful. Where do I get information on this?

Dear <Customer>,

Thank you for using Canon products.

Please be advised of two important Service Notices and a firmware update for the EOS 1D Mark III and EOS 1Ds Mark III digital SLR cameras.

1. We have learned that some EOS 1D Mark III and EOS 1Ds Mark III digital SLR cameras have a problem in the accuracy of the AF (auto-focusing). If an AF point other than the center AF point is used, focus may become soft. For more details, please click here.

Free AF accuracy checks and adjustments will be provided for affected products.

2. We have discovered that abnormal mirror operation occurs in some EOS 1D Mark III and EOS 1Ds Mark III digital SLR cameras where the mirror does not operate even if the shutter button is pressed and the following message appears frequently on the camera's LCD monitor, see below. For more details, please click here.

"Err 99 Shooting is not possible. Turn the power switch to <OFF> and <ON> again or re-install the battery."

Free repairs will be provided for affected products.

3. <snip>firmware update information from Tuesday</snip>

Canon always strives to provide the highest quality products to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience these phenomena may have caused. We appreciate your kind patronage and support.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you reside in the U.S.A. or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Contact Information for Inquiries:

Customer Support Center
1-866-207-9570 (toll free)
8:00 a.m. - Midnight, EST - Monday to Friday
10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., EST - Saturday
E-mail: carecenter@cits.canon.com

CPS serviced my 1DS MK3 as above a few weeks ago - and I have noticed AF is now absolutely outstanding - but I never had any complaints before hand - mine was always excellent.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:31:08 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:36:34 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
CPS serviced by 1DS MK3 as above a few weeks ago - and I have noticed AF is now absolutely outstanding - but I never had any complaints before hand - mine was always excellent.

Same here.

dwdallam

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 07:31:22 am »

I went through all that when I purchased my 1DS3. So I got a serial number that had the problem already fixed. So just out of curiosity, I logged on the Canon website and there was a new firmware update. Of course I downloaded it and installed it, and then when it was finished, I chose OK and the camera turned off. Now it won't turn on! It's totally dead. I mean TOTALLY dead. Took the battery out and reinserted it. Took the cards out and reinserted them. Did it all and it is Fing dead.WFT? lol It just never ends. I'll be glad when someday my 1DS3 is my "backup camera"! I can't believe this.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 12:40:36 pm »

Where can you find the affected serial number list?

I bought my 1Ds3 used a few weeks ago and the AF is fine, even if I use an off-center point or all points. Also, I have not yet seen an error 99 issue in about 1000 frames.  I have installed the latest firmware and it installed flawlessly, and overall I am happy -- and therefore reluctant to send it in for a repair it doesn't need.  I did however have to adjust all of my lenses for best AF using the lens micro AF adjust feature, some by only 1 or 2 points, but others by as many as 15 points.   Any advice is welcome!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:41:18 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

tandlh

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 06:06:33 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Where can you find the affected serial number list?

I bought my 1Ds3 used a few weeks ago and the AF is fine, even if I use an off-center point or all points. Also, I have not yet seen an error 99 issue in about 1000 frames.  I have installed the latest firmware and it installed flawlessly, and overall I am happy -- and therefore reluctant to send it in for a repair it doesn't need.  I did however have to adjust all of my lenses for best AF using the lens micro AF adjust feature, some by only 1 or 2 points, but others by as many as 15 points.   Any advice is welcome!

Cheers,

Jack,
   Just call Canon and have your serial number handy.  They can tell you if yours is in the range that needs to be returned.  I don't know of any published serial number lists that you can check on your own.

Ted

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 07:45:49 pm »

Quote from: tandlh
Jack,
   Just call Canon and have your serial number handy.  They can tell you if yours is in the range that needs to be returned.  I don't know of any published serial number lists that you can check on your own.

Ted

Thanks Ted:

I called and they told mine was in the serial range, but then asked if I had tested the outer points.  I said I had and they all seemed to work fine, and the tech recommended I not send it in.  He said that this type of recall does not expire, so I can send it in any time if I experience problems.

Cheers,
Jack

dwdallam

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 07:58:02 pm »

Update: I wrote Canon and told them I loaded the new Firmware and now my camera won't turn on. Once again, they said I'd have to return it to the factory for repair. This is twice in 7 months. It's a good thing it's still under warranty or I'd have to pay for it.

Josh-H

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:59:54 pm »

Update: I wrote Canon and told them I loaded the new Firmware and now my camera won't turn on. Once again, they said I'd have to return it to the factory for repair. This is twice in 7 months. It's a good thing it's still under warranty or I'd have to pay for it.

Its very odd that it wont turn on - clearly the firmware did not load properly.

May sound like an obvious question - but did u make sure the battery was charged before starting the firmware update?

Wild Nature Photo Travel

Mark F

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 09:45:15 pm »

Based on the replies it seems that no one else has experienced the AF  lag problem that I now have. What's really strange is that it is  intermittent and goes away once the power has been on for a while.

It sounds like you may have a bad copy. I'd make a stink, especially if you're a member of their pro group.

Update:  ..... This is twice in 7 months. It's a good thing it's still under warranty or I'd have to pay for it.
Mark

dwdallam

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 10:19:37 pm »

Its very odd that it wont turn on - clearly the firmware did not load properly.

May sound like an obvious question - but did u make sure the battery was charged before starting the firmware update?

Yes and it won't let you load it if it detects a low battery.

dwdallam

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 10:27:32 pm »

Quote from: Mark F
Based on the replies it seems that no one else has experienced the AF  lag problem that I now have. What's really strange is that it is  intermittent and goes away once the power has been on for a while.

It sounds like you may have a bad copy. I'd make a stink, especially if you're a member of their pro group.

You mean to get a new camera back? I could rewrite tech support and ask if that is a possibility.

I just emailed them back asking if that were a possibility. I also have a problem with the viewfinder right hand, vertical EV control. When I choose an EV setting, the marker will bounce up and down a couple of seconds before settling on the EV I chose.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:32:23 pm by dwdallam »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 10:39:38 pm »

~~~

I also have a problem with the viewfinder right hand, vertical EV control. When I choose an EV setting, the marker will bounce up and down a couple of seconds before settling on the EV I chose.

Settles it...  No way I'm sending mine in until it is really broken!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:40:39 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 11:04:41 pm »

My 1DsMKIII  went in at 1 month old for a problem with a bad sensor and live view.  I was not happy but I had it fixed and its been great.  I did not suffer any viewfinder problems like some other had.  I just sent it in again for the AI servo update.  They get the camera tomorrow.  I'm not a big AI servo user but thet few times I did use it for some fun stuff of the dogs playing its was a mess, very low keeper rate.  Other than that it has been bullet proof and I really love the camera, much better than the 1DsMKII it replaced.

I'll  pass on the results when it returns in a few days.
Craig Lamson Photo

dwdallam

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 11:10:35 pm »

LOL--yeah and don't update the firmware either unless you absolutely need to. Like I said, I'll be glad when I can call the Canon 1DS MKIII my backup camera. I haven't heard of any problems with the Nikon d3X.

Josh-H

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 11:53:24 pm »

LOL--yeah and don't update the firmware either unless you absolutely need to. Like I said, I'll be glad when I can call the Canon 1DS MKIII my backup camera. I haven't heard of any problems with the Nikon d3X.

Well I am defiantely at the other end of the spectrum. I have my 1DSMK3 since january 2008 - so a year and a bit now and have shot more than 15000 frames and havent had a single issue.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

dwdallam

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 03:31:54 am »

Well I am defiantely at the other end of the spectrum. I have my 1DSMK3 since january 2008 - so a year and a bit now and have shot more than 15000 frames and havent had a single issue.

Well that is good to know. I feel like I can't rely on this camera any longer. Everytime I go to a  shoot I worry about it breaking down.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up