Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DPP giving better sharpning than CS4/LL  (Read 2498 times)

Robin Warren

DPP giving better sharpning than CS4/LL
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:51:38 am »

I have been using CS3/4 and LL with a Canon 5D for a long time with excellent results, But I have just got a 5D 11 and have been struggling with getting sharp pictures in CS4 or LL just by chance I tried DPP and as soon as the pictures came up on my Eizo monitor  I had sharp pictures, even with a lot of processing in CS4 or LL  I could not get them as good as this. I am using the latest Adobi Raw converter. I would be great full  of any advice as I am a dedicated LL and CS4 user and do not want to have to go thought DPP first.
Robin

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:45:41 am »

Quote from: Robin Warren
I have been using CS3/4 and LL with a Canon 5D for a long time with excellent results, But I have just got a 5D 11 and have been struggling with getting sharp pictures in CS4 or LL just by chance I tried DPP and as soon as the pictures came up on my Eizo monitor  I had sharp pictures, even with a lot of processing in CS4 or LL  I could not get them as good as this. I am using the latest Adobi Raw converter. I would be great full  of any advice as I am a dedicated LL and CS4 user and do not want to have to go thought DPP first.
Robin
I had this bookmarked:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/595717

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:02:39 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I had this bookmarked:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/595717

Thanks for the bookmark, quite interesting... too bad the pictures/examples disappeared from the thread in the meantime  

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:22:08 pm »

Quote from: Robin Warren
Robin
Could it be that you are expecting the sharpening in CS4(ACR) or LR to be the final sharpening? Because if you are, then you are missing the point of the sharpening in those programs which is to bring back the sharpening lost for the digital proccess and not for final output. My guess is that you have sharpening turned on in your camera which DPP will read and ACR/LR won't.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Robin Warren

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 03:39:11 pm »

Quote from: KeithR
Could it be that you are expecting the sharpening in CS4(ACR) or LR to be the final sharpening? Because if you are, then you are missing the point of the sharpening in those programs which is to bring back the sharpening lost for the digital proccess and not for final output. My guess is that you have sharpening turned on in your camera which DPP will read and ACR/LR won't.

I am shooting in raw but I have looked and the settings are (picture style ) is standard and the sharpening is set as default to 3.
But I thought that these settings are only for JPGs and not the raw file

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:54:06 pm »

The combination I prefer is DPP unsharpened (0) and then use Nik Raw Presharpener and then unsharp mask as desired. The cleanest sharpening this way. Almost as good as sharpening with Raw Developer but without the fringing issues and CA issue of RD.

Doyle

Pages: [1]   Go Up