Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large photo backpack  (Read 14740 times)

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
Large photo backpack
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:14:38 am »

I'm looking for a backpack that can carry all the camera gear I want, and let me take along extra clothing, food etc. for longer day trips. I'm currently using a LowPro Photo Trekker AW II, but are unhappy with it for tree reasons:

1) I don't like the carry system, it's in my opinion not good enough for heavy loads.
2) It holds all the gear i usually need, but there is not enough room left for all the other stuff I want (clothes, food etc.).
3) The backpack itself is a bit heavy for what it can carry at 3.8kg.

So I am trying to look at options that fit my needs. The most promising looking solutions for me right now is:

* f-stop Satori at 1.85kg seems to be very light

* Photobackpacker which is based on the Kelty Redwing backpack at about 2.2 kg. It's made for large format cameras, but I guess I could use it for mu DSLR by adding internal dividers in the boxes.

Have anybody tried any of these systems? I want something that comfortably will allow me to carry 20kg. The Satori look promising, but how good is the carry system on that back pack?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:08:58 am by ronnynil »
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

marcmccalmont

Large photo backpack
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 12:50:11 pm »

quote name='ronnynil' date='Apr 4 2009, 11:14 PM' post='273976']
I'm looking for a backpack that can carry all the camera gear I want, and let me take along extra clothing, food etc. for longer day trips. I'm currently using a LowPro Photo Trekker AW II, but are unhappy with it for tree reasons:

1) I don't like the carry system, it's in my opinion not good enough for heavy loads.
2) It holds all the gear i usually need, but there is not enough room left for all the other stuff I want (clothes, food etc.).
3) The backpack itself is a bit heavy for what it can carry at 3.8kg.

So I am trying to look at options that fit my needs. The most promising looking solutions for me right now is:

* f-stop Satori at 1.85kg seems to be very light

* Photobackpacker which is based on the Kelty Redwing backpack at about 2.2 kg. It's made for large format cameras, but I guess I could use it for mu DSLR by adding internal dividers in the boxes.

Have anybody tried any of these systems? I want something that comfortably will allow me to carry 20kg. The Satori look promising, but how good is the carry system on that back pack?
[/quote]
I have 2 photobackpacker backpacks with dividers that I installed they are real backpacks and comfortable
Marc

[attachment=12762:_MG_0974.jpg][
Marc McCalmont

new_haven

Large photo backpack
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:04:29 pm »

These were introduced at PMA 09.

http://www.clikelite.com/

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
Large photo backpack
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:56:25 pm »

Quote from: new_haven
These were introduced at PMA 09.

http://www.clikelite.com/
That looks very promising! There is more information here, although not an actual in-field review, yet.

RafalA

• http://www.rafalandronowski.com
Large photo backpack
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:31:13 am »

Here's what I use for day trips:

Arc'Teryx Miura 30 with a custom insert made from left-over Think Tank bits

I have two versions, a stripped down one and a heavy-use one:

Light version fits: 1DII, 70-200/2.8, 17-40/4, 1.4x, filters, cards, remote, extra battery
Heavy version takes: 2x 1DII, 70-200/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 17-40/4, 1.4x, filters, cards, remote, extra batteries

Inside the backpack, I also usually pack a small stove, pot, canister of fuel, down jacket, extra gloves, extra hat, extra socks, headlamp, knife, compass, snacks, water bladder or bottle(s) and emergency / first aid kit.

I attached a lot of extra straps to the outside of the pack, and can easily affix all of the following (at the same time): crampons, ice axe(s), snowshoes, tripod or monopod, pad for sitting / kneeling on, extra clothing if needed, rope, helmet, etc. If needed, I can even strap a tent and sleeping bag & pad to the outside, making it an overnight pack.

All told, it weighs a fair bit. But the suspension is comfortable for full-day trips (think 4 am start and 11 pm return) and fits all the gear I would need for a day out in the mountains. Keep in mind I don't usually need any additional clothes except a down / synthetic jacket for rest stops and extra gloves / hats and a pair of socks in case I get too sweaty.

For longer trips, I reconfigure the inserts to fit into my other backpacks. I have yet to find a commercial solution that would do what I need it to. I am considering a custom-made pack from Dan McHale in Seattle, designed for my needs and fitted to my body. But it's an expensive option ($800+) and requires a trip to Seattle.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:32:57 am by RafalA »

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
Large photo backpack
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:12:43 am »

Thank you all! You have just added several more options that I will have to ponder.

The Click Pro Elite looks very promising and seems to have a good carry system.

The Satori looks like it's functionally good, but I'm unsure about how good the carry system is.

And some sort of Photobackpacker with some do-it-myself solutions also look promising. This is probably the safest bet when it comes to the carry system.

Does anybody have first hand experience carrying heavy loads with the Satori or Click Pro Elite?

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Large photo backpack
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 09:49:54 am »

I use an Osprey Atmos 35 pack. It is a technical day and a half pack--not a photo pack.  To overcome its lack of photo gadgetry, I put a Thinktank Urban Disguise 30 inside the pack.  I can carry a tripod with spherical panoramic head, body, lens, 100-400 lens, lots of little photo stuff as well as a jacket, 2 liter water bladder, headlamp, maps, gps and other junk.  

Stay away from the dedicated photo packs for serious hiking with camera equipment.  Get a generic shoulder bag and plan to place it inside a technical backpack that you might get at REI or something.  The shoulder straps and framesheet on photo backpacks just doesn't hold up to the abuse that hiking with a load gives it.  

I also got a $15 closed-cell foam sleeping mattress (about 3/4"-1" thick) and cut it onto pieces to add padding to the equipment.

To me backpacks are like shoes...they have to fit just right.  If not, after 5 miles of hiking, you will be miserable.  Those Clik Elite packs look interesting, and I am sure I will try one on, but it will have to fit perfectly.  Some folks will undoubtedly have a good fit with those packs, but don't limit yourself to the one or two decent photo dedicated packs.  Try lots of different ones and adapt it to your needs.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:00:36 am by fike »
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

JDClements

Large photo backpack
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 08:14:20 pm »

Quote from: fike
I also got a $15 closed-cell foam sleeping mattress (about 3/4"-1" thick) and cut it onto pieces to add padding to the equipment.
Good tip! I also like the shoulder bag inside the pack tip. Thanks.

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
Large photo backpack
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 04:15:38 am »

Stay away from the dedicated photo packs for serious hiking with camera equipment.  Get a generic shoulder bag and plan to place it inside a technical backpack that you might get at REI or something.  The shoulder straps and framesheet on photo backpacks just doesn't hold up to the abuse that hiking with a load gives it.  

Putting a generic camera bag inside a technical backpack seems like the way to go when I can't try all the different camera backpacks. Especially since I already have good technical backpacks that fit me. It's more hassle to get to the gear, but is probably worth the hassle. Thanks.

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

jani

• Øyet
Large photo backpack
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 07:19:13 pm »

Quote from: ronnynil
Another net buddy of mine favors the Tilopa.

He was dissatisfied with the old model's color (silver and mud don't go together well) and ordered the new model. You seem to have misread the weight of the Satori by about 900 grams, though.

Here are some (hopefully helpful) pictures of his old Tilopa and himself wearing it. As you probably can guess, he's quite satisfied with it, even while skiing.

It seems like the backpack will lie almost completely flush with your back, with the usual consequences for sweating, but I don't know how much of a problem you'd consider that to be.
Jan

JDClements

Large photo backpack
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 09:02:48 pm »

Putting a generic camera bag inside a technical backpack seems like the way to go ... It's more hassle to get to the gear, but is probably worth the hassle.
I'm thinking that a small chest pack in combination may be a good idea, if there is a decent way to attach it to the backpack. Or perhaps a holster that would attach on the waist belt. That way, when you are walking in the "photo zone", you can deploy the chest pack or holster and carry the camera there.

lightstand

Large photo backpack
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 09:47:39 pm »

Have a look at this modular system designed with the idea of caring photo gear in regular backpacks:

http://www.kGear.com/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:48:05 pm by lightstand »

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
Large photo backpack
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 07:51:11 am »

Many thanks to all!

I see that I have much to ponder about, and that there is more possibilities than I believed there was.

I put up a page describing some of the possibilities that might fit my needs here to make it a bit easier for me to chech out the different options.

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

DaveL

• http://
Large photo backpack
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 02:45:20 pm »

I have done lots of sports photography; much of it skiing.

One of the most comfortable and most accessible ways I've found is to wear a  belt pack, reversed so that it's carried in front. This solves many problems, such as interference with ski lifts when skiing in-bounds.

This worked for me with my Nikon F3 + motor drive, with lenses including an 80-200/2.8 and a shorter wide angle zoom. It would work even better with my nikon d80 + grip and accessories.

I know that it doesn't address issues such as hydration. However, it was important to me to be able to use the camera quickly.

DaveL

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Large photo backpack
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 09:39:58 pm »

I use an Osprey Atmos 35 pack. It is a technical day and a half pack--not a photo pack.  To overcome its lack of photo gadgetry, I put a Thinktank Urban Disguise 30 inside the pack.

This is a great idea.

After spending a while looking for a good technical day pack in the 2000 cubic inch range -- and trying on many contenders -- I purchased a different Osprey pack, the Kestrel 32. It is very similar to your Atmos 35, but it has a more traditional internal frame that doesn't take up as much room inside the pack as the highly curved Atmos frame. I point this out only because every outdoor shop carries the Atmos line, but almost no one carries the full range of Kestrel packs. (I found it at Footsloggers in Boone, NC. They carry every Osprey pack I've ever heard of.)

When I read your post, I went home and tried to put my TT Urban Disguise 40 inside. No luck -- the camera bag is too wide. I'll need to see if the TTUD 30 or the 35 fit. Instead, for now, I built a pretty good interior compartment from old bag inserts using the Velcro attachments. Holds my big 80mm spotting scope and my 300/4 lens, and not much else. (Did I mention the scope is *big*?) The Manfrotto 190CX3 hangs on the outside of the pack. Camera and standard lens go over my shoulder. Binoculars around my neck. Birding field guide in my back pocket. Food and water and maybe a rain shell fit inside the pack. All set for a long day outside.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
Large photo backpack
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 07:24:04 am »

Just to update you on what I ended up with. I bought the Kinesis Photo Gear V090 and V092. I plan on putting these inside one of my regular technical backpacks that I already have (and that have a good carry system). The V090 opens to the top and can be put inside on the top of the pack. And the camera can be accessed from the top without having the V090 to be taken out of the backpack.

The V090 have ample room for my Canon 5D MkII with a EF24-105L f/4.0, the battery grip and a RRS L-plate, and my EF70-200L f/2.8. In addition to memory cards and extra batteries. This gives me easy access to the camera and my most used lenses.

The V092 is used to hold all the other lenses and stuff I want when I need all my gear.

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Large photo backpack
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 08:23:00 am »

Just to update you on what I ended up with. I bought the Kinesis Photo Gear V090 and V092.

Thanks, I hadn't seen those before. The V090 is exactly what I need (and it's half the price of the Think Tank bag.)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up