Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stubborn sensor spot  (Read 3495 times)

Harold Clark

Stubborn sensor spot
« on: April 04, 2009, 12:58:36 pm »

I have picked up a very tenacious speck on the sensor of my Canon 1Ds11. Several attempts with sensor swipe pads and cleaner didn't help. I also put some solution on a Q tip so I could keep the area saturated hoping it would loosen the dirt. I can actually see the speck on the sensor with good light. Any ideas folks?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
Stubborn sensor spot
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:20:02 pm »

Time to go to your nearest Canon service center, I think!
Bill

Panopeeper

Stubborn sensor spot
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 07:36:45 pm »

I have cut a tool (handle and a flat tip, like a screw driver) from hard rubber; I wrap the cloth from Eclipse over it, dunk it in 99% isopropanol and swipe/scrub the sensor with it. This combination can not cause any damage, but it is firm enough; at least, no dirt withstand it in the past years.

I cut the hard rubber tool from a leftover piece of elastic baseboard. It can be cut, sawn, filed, chewed, etc. to the size and shape one prefers.

The most difficult part in my experience is never to touch anything with bare fingers, paticularly not the cloth. I wear cotton gloves reserved for this purpose.
Gabor

OwlsEye

• http://www.btleventhal.com
Stubborn sensor spot
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:22:11 pm »

Quote from: Harold Clark
I have picked up a very tenacious speck on the sensor of my Canon 1Ds11. Several attempts with sensor swipe pads and cleaner didn't help. I also put some solution on a Q tip so I could keep the area saturated hoping it would loosen the dirt. I can actually see the speck on the sensor with good light. Any ideas folks?

Try using a sensor swab designed for a 1.6x sensor. This will give you a little more room to maneuver. I've had similar problems w/ a 1DSII and 5D... big sensors are dust magnets!
good luck,
bruce
regards, bruce
[url=http://www.btleventh

marcmccalmont

Stubborn sensor spot
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 09:46:20 pm »

Scotch Magic Tape (green), green is the non residue type
Put It on and peel it off, no harm and will remove the stubborn ones.
Marc

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=16542910
http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/sensor-dust-clean.html
Marc McCalmont

Harold Clark

Stubborn sensor spot
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 10:33:18 am »

Thanks to everybody for your helpful advice. Canon used to offer complimentary "while you wait" sensor cleaning to CPS members, which I used when in their neighbourhood on the west side of Toronto. Then it was call ahead ( no problem ), then they wanted the camera for 2 days, inconvenient for me as I am not located near them, and don't like to be without my main camera. With the 2 day policy I decided to do my own cleaning.( Now they want 2 days plus $40 ). Eventually I will upgrade to newer equipment, hopefully the vibrating sensor will help a bit with dust.

schrodingerscat

Stubborn sensor spot
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 03:11:18 pm »

Thanks to everybody for your helpful advice. Canon used to offer complimentary "while you wait" sensor cleaning to CPS members, which I used when in their neighbourhood on the west side of Toronto. Then it was call ahead ( no problem ), then they wanted the camera for 2 days, inconvenient for me as I am not located near them, and don't like to be without my main camera. With the 2 day policy I decided to do my own cleaning.( Now they want 2 days plus $40 ). Eventually I will upgrade to newer equipment, hopefully the vibrating sensor will help a bit with dust.

Call around to your local repair shops, many now offer sensor cleaning. I perform this service for the store I contract with and will do it while the customer waits. I l also use a stereo zoom microscope, which helps immensely.

While the the built in sensor cleaning systems work fairly well, they are not completely effective. It's still best to remove material as soon as possible rather than waiting. We are also discovering that the heat from the sensor being on for long periods of time will bake the stuff onto the AA filter. This is going to become more prelevant with the advent of live view and video capability. Best to give it a good blast with the rocket beforehand.

DarkPenguin

Stubborn sensor spot
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 03:50:11 pm »

In 2 years I haven't needed to clean my 400D.  I about a year I haven't had to clean my 40D.  This may not be typical.  Regardless.  Viva La Dust Buster.

My 20D needed a fair amount of cleaning.  (After I dropped it it had about 150 dust spots.  Oof.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up