Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which printer for me  (Read 8621 times)

Etienne Cassar

Which printer for me
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 04:08:48 pm »

Quote from: hsmeets
How much of an actor are you   you could always act surprised when the printer shows up on your doorstep  

I'm getting in a doubt about softproofing: what do you actually see:

[attachment=12952:Ilford_v..._Apple_1.jpg]

Comparing ICC profiles of iMac screen and Canon 5100 on Ilford Gallery Smooth Pearl (grey is Apple, colored = Ilford) seems like Canon gamut exceeds screen gamut on some colors.....
What I did was download some profiles for the 5100 for a particular Hahnemuhle paper, and then download the profiles for the Z3100, for the 4880, and also for the Pixma Pro 9500 for the same paper.  In photoshop I then compared the softproofs for these different profiles and by enabling Gamut warning, I also had an indication of where clipping was occuring and in which colours.  The 5100 was very good when it comes to red and blue, but the Epson and the HP where clear winners when it comes to Yellow.  I am not sure but there I think there is some difference when it comes to skin tones as well (I like the HP profile mostly in this case), but with a little bit to tweaking using hue and saturation layer I could get a better result.  As for the 9500 the was the worse of them all with regards to clipping of colours.  Having said that the differences I noticed where very minimal and also this is something that I did out of my own curiousity, and I don't know if you can actually compare printer output in this way or not.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up