Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on buying second-hand Hasselblad H2D39  (Read 1651 times)

mitts

Advice on buying second-hand Hasselblad H2D39
« on: April 04, 2009, 04:15:45 am »

Hi,

First post here to ask support for a medium format beginner.

I guess I have gone crazy, but a photo studio nearby is closing down and selling a H2D39 with 150mm/3.2 and 80/2.8 Hasselblad lenses for about $8000. To me this seems like too good a deal to walk away from so I would need a bit of advice, well, actually a lot of advice.

First off, sanity check: Assuming that the camera is in good condition (as the seller claims, I will get to try it out before closing the deal), is the deal as good as it seems to me? With local European prices it seems I could get the lenses new for that asking price and not much more.. The seller claims that the firmware has been upgraded to H3D level, and it comes with 2 batteries and a viewfinder as well. The camera has been used in a studio for portrait shoots, at this time I do not know how many shots it has been used for.

Secondly, when I get to test if, is there some specific gotcha to look out for? Like some typical problem that this model tends to develop or similar? I currenly shoot Olympus so one thing I guess I need to check is the sensor status for dust.

Thirdly, except for the very justified questions "do you really need" (the answer is "no") and "can you afford it" (answer is "not really"), what would be typical misexpectations when moving to something like a Hasselblad from a small DSLR? My justification for the purchase is that I have been shooting/writing on a small scale for a boating magazine and seems to me I could improve the technical image quality and hence overall article quality a bit with the Hasselblad for certain kinds of assignments. For others I would definitely still use my old gear.

Finally, the camera has been connected to a Mac, but I run a PC with Vista/CS3. Would I need to purchase some software to workflow-wise connect the camera to PS CS3, could not really deduce that from the Hasselblad site? It seems that once you have registered tha camera you can download some software but not really sure now what I would need at a minimum (convert to DNG to feed CS3) and what it might cost?

Very much appreciate any advice on this one, Håkan

Pages: [1]   Go Up