Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Franke & Heidecke  (Read 25191 times)

Carsten W

Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 03:27:51 pm »

I am not sure that the savings from going from 79.2mm (6x6, or 56x56mm diagonal) to 70mm (645, i.e. 56x42mm) makes enough of a difference in either size or price to be worth the risk of not being able to cover the 6x6 sensor, if it comes one day. Maybe just for the very widest lens.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 04:48:31 pm »

I'd rather see a 6x6 sensor than another me too 645 camera.   The Rollei/schneider lenses are excellent why not use them rather than invent a replacement?   IMHO  Franke and Heidecke only need to keep making what they are now or have planned.  But if they wanted to improve something - how about selectable focus points?    And I don't care what the back makers do in terms of size or format  if they could just figure out how to give us better high ISO performance.
Rolleiflex USA

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 04:59:18 pm »

Square format was developed for the Rolleiflex tween lens reflexes so to use the waist level finder, but it is not the most efficient format. Let me make clear that it is an attractive format, I shot with the Mamiya 6x6, Bronica 6x6 and now I got a Hasselblad 500 C/M from eBay to shoot with film (full frame !).

Mamiya was gaining grownd in the days before digita, with the 6x7 format because most applications have this proportions. Hasselblad used to say that the square format was the best in the world, but now that they went 645, as you say: "me too 645" they are quiet about the topic.

A square format at a premium price would have a much more reduced market potential than the now standard rectangular sensor, but I may be wrong...  

Quote from: EricWHiss
I'd rather see a 6x6 sensor than another me too 645 camera.   The Rollei/schneider lenses are excellent why not use them rather than invent a replacement?   IMHO  Franke and Heidecke only need to keep making what they are now or have planned.  But if they wanted to improve something - how about selectable focus points?    And I don't care what the back makers do in terms of size or format  if they could just figure out how to give us better high ISO performance.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:00:06 pm by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 05:06:14 pm »

I have to admit that I was a bit harsh on the Schneider 40mm.
However,I did find the Schneider 55 PCS to be sharper and less barrel distortion.
Also less CA.
The 55PCS is huge and weighs in at 1.6 KG,if I can remember.

Best,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 05:49:10 pm »

Quote from: rethmeier
I have to admit that I was a bit harsh on the Schneider 40mm.
However,I did find the Schneider 55 PCS to be sharper and less barrel distortion.
Also less CA.
The 55PCS is huge and weighs in at 1.6 KG,if I can remember.

Best,
Willem.

It is a lot bigger than either of the 40's that's for sure....  But what a nice lens!
Rolleiflex USA

Geoffrey

Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 07:36:54 am »

It is a lot bigger than either of the 40's that's for sure....  But what a nice lens!

Curiously, the Schneider 40 is smaller than the Schneider 60, and almost the same size as the 80. How they did it remains a mystery.

The Zeiss 40 is (I think) still modelled on the older Hassy version and rather sizable.

the 55PCS won't work well for handholding, but for tripod work is a far better lens than one might first imagine. I haven't found any CA, barrel distortion, dropoff in corners, etc. Routinely run it right up to max shift, no problems.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 10:57:50 am »

Quote from: Geoffrey
Curiously, the Schneider 40 is smaller than the Schneider 60, and almost the same size as the 80. How they did it remains a mystery.

The Zeiss 40 is (I think) still modelled on the older Hassy version and rather sizable.

the 55PCS won't work well for handholding, but for tripod work is a far better lens than one might first imagine. I haven't found any CA, barrel distortion, dropoff in corners, etc. Routinely run it right up to max shift, no problems.

Yes the 55mm PCS works great for hand holding - I do it all the time!

Rolleiflex USA

Carl Glover

• http://www.alephstudio.co.uk
Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 11:14:00 am »

Yes the 55mm PCS works great for hand holding - I do it all the time!

Me too!

luxferous

Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 02:54:27 am »

Any news or updates?

ThierryH

Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 06:40:58 am »

None, so far, but many discussions going on.

Thierry

Quote from: luxferous
Any news or updates?

Leonardo Barreto

Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 06:44:42 pm »

by the time there ARE news Nikon and Canon will have taken over MF. News seam to come mostly from them even in this forum lately...

Quote from: ThierryH
None, so far, but many discussions going on.

Thierry
[font=Comic Sa

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 01:57:58 am »

Quote from: Leonardo Barreto
by the time there ARE news Nikon and Canon will have taken over MF. News seam to come mostly from them even in this forum lately...

Leonardo,
Don't you shoot Mamiya?   I don't get why you put so much time into the Rollei/Franke&Heidecke threads.  Are you not satisfied with your set-up? or do you have stock in Nikon or Canon?    

I shoot with now three older Rollei's ...  2 6008 AF cameras and one 2.8F TLR and couldn't be happier.   If F&H did anything wrong, they made their cameras too good - and too reliable.   Nothing wrong with the older stuff - I've had no reason to upgrade to the Hy6/AFi.  

Eric

Rolleiflex USA

paratom

Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 03:48:06 am »

I have purchased recently something from them and it worked out without any problems. Quick respond.
If we talk about news - maybe its not everybodies taste - but as far as I see it the Hy6 is still the neweset/latest MF camera body overall (until the S2 appears)?
What I would wish for is a 6x6 sensor- but this should not be the task for F&H but for Dalsa and Kodak.
Personally I would be more concerned of the long time future of Leica but not so much of F&H (they have a good product range and covered that part allready).
I admit that I am a fan of both though.

Leonardo Barreto

Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 08:19:03 am »

I shoot Nikon, Mamiya, Sinar and Hasselblad, but who knows, I may one day shoot Franke&Heidecke. Is this an exclusive thread for owners of one particular brand and only that?

I am curious about the news. It was Thierry who said there was 'no news', so I took it as it may be news latter.

Regarding 35mm, no, I don't work for them (Nikon Canon), but I see the trend of MF loosing market share to them.

Also PENTAX and Leica are going with the smallest increment in sensor size to fight them, de facto creating another format, one that fits between Nikon-Canon and full size 645.

Meanwhile Hy6 is waiting for a LARGER size sensor chip.

Leica is a complete newcomer to MF and with decreased market share they will have to take it from someone....

Who will blink or hesitate?  

Leonardo,
Don't you shoot Mamiya?   I don't get why you put so much time into the Rollei/Franke&Heidecke threads.  Are you not satisfied with your set-up? or do you have stock in Nikon or Canon?    

I shoot with now three older Rollei's ...  2 6008 AF cameras and one 2.8F TLR and couldn't be happier.   If F&H did anything wrong, they made their cameras too good - and too reliable.   Nothing wrong with the older stuff - I've had no reason to upgrade to the Hy6/AFi.  

Eric
[font=Comic Sa

Geoffrey

Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 09:30:50 am »

Quote from: Leonardo Barreto
I shoot Nikon, Mamiya, Sinar and Hasselblad, but who knows, I may one day shoot Franke&Heidecke. Is this an exclusive thread for owners of one particular brand and only that?

I am curious about the news. It was Thierry who said there was 'no news', so I took it as it may be news latter.

Regarding 35mm, no, I don't work for them (Nikon Canon), but I see the trend of MF loosing market share to them.

Also PENTAX and Leica are going with the smallest increment in sensor size to fight them, de facto creating another format, one that fits between Nikon-Canon and full size 645.

Meanwhile Hy6 is waiting for a LARGER size sensor chip.

Leica is a complete newcomer to MF and with decreased market share they will have to take it from someone....

Who will blink or hesitate?

Old paradigm. That game is long over.

New one: quality MF makers struggling to survive. Some may make it, many will not. They make a product out of sorts with our current "instant, disposable, modest priced, here today....gone tomorrow" culture.

Some of us with to encourage that notion of higher quality, longer lasting - others see the flaws in it. THat it is flawed is without question - F&H is undercapitalized, trying to juggle pieces and parts and yet hold to their notions of ergonomic camera design and top quality.

Another way to look at it is how they do so much with so little.

paratom

Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 10:23:31 am »

Personally I think it is hard to judge about the real factors/reasons for the financial situation of a company.
Is it the cost structure. Is it the marketing concept. Is the problem cause only by certain products in the range and others are good to make money.
Is it the wrong bank? All speculation if we dont know the real facts.
The biggest question: can the factors, which caused the problem be changed?
My believe (and speculation) is that the Hy6 system/product range itself is not the reason but other things, and my hope (and speculation) is that these things can be changed.

One day Porsche buys VW and the next day its the other way around.

jing q

• we are super
Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 10:31:52 am »

let's see
a company announces insolvency
and doesn't bother to update on the situation

as far as I'm concerned the AFi and Hy6 system are a no-go zone.

Graham Mitchell

Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 11:30:19 am »

Quote from: jing q
let's see
a company announces insolvency
and doesn't bother to update on the situation

How can they give an update when nothing has changed? The company is still operating, and creditors and investors are still talking out a deal, afaik. I'm sure we will hear news when there is some.

ynp

• http://
Franke & Heidecke
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 11:55:52 am »

I have just received my Hy6 after the repair at  Franke & Heidecke  in Germany (I damaged the grip). The turnaround time (From Russia to Germany and back to Russia) took 20 days.  Keep in mind that there was Russian Customs in between.
Yevgeny
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up