Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I run both CS3 and CS4 on the same machine?  (Read 7465 times)

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Can I run both CS3 and CS4 on the same machine?
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:57:41 pm »

I was wondering whether I can have the two programmes CS3 and CS4 installed and running independently on the same computer.

I am using PC, Windows XP.

I would like to open my Canon G10 images using CS4 ACR, and I have just become comfortable with CS3 and don't want to have another learning curve or any other teething problems with my printing (as some have been having) with CS4. I know it would be simpler to just do everything in CS4, but I am reluctant to change to CS4 at the moment because I have lots of commitments and can't afford to have any hiccups in my learning curve or printing.

At present I am using DPP but my results are unsatisfactory because I am a newbie with this programme, so I would like to stick with the raw converter that I am comfortable with. I also converted to DNG, but 10% of the files are corrupted with big white rectangles in part of the image. Don't know what's going on there?

So my plan is to open images from my G10 in CS4. save them and then work on them using CS3. Will this work? Do the programmes operate independently or is there common stuff that will make things not operate properly?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Julie
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:02:19 pm by jule »

pindman

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:39:05 pm »

Having just gone through the transition from CS3 to 4, after 2 months I don't look back.  For me, there were two differences.  The overall layout of the desktop, and the layers palate.  

You can set up a custom desktop that is almost the same as CS3 and save it, so it loads when you start PS.  That solved problem 1.

I've gotten used to the layers dialog.  Since I find it slow, I've renamed a few custom keys.  F2 = levels, F3 = curves, and F4 l= unsharp mask (which I still apply to layer masks even though that is now built in.)  I'll occasionally use the new adjustments dialog, and it's only a bit slower.  I think you'll learn it quickly, and it makes far more sense than keeping 2 versions.

Pul

KeithR

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:46:39 pm »

You can have both CS3 & 4 on the same machine but you can only have one running at one time. In other words, If you open CS4 and try to open 3, only 4 will show, and vise/versa.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

jule

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 06:36:03 pm »

Thank you both for your replies. I wasn't sure if having two installed at the same time somehow there would be common files and then neither would work. I can't afford to have any gremlins or hiccups at the moment so I thought better to be safe by asking those in the know. :-)

Julie

Professional

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:08:39 pm »

I have CS2 & CS3 & CS4 all on my MacBook Pro, i can open CS2 and CS4 at the same time, but i need to open CS2 first then open CS4, i worked on both photoshop for some reasons with no problem, but i try to open each one separately and close the other, working on one version is better than two both at the same time as they take a lot of memory.

jule

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 02:58:26 am »

Thanks so much for your replies.

It is reassuring to know that I can safely use CS4 and ACR 5 to open my Canon G10 images and save them as Tiffs, then work on them in CS3, just until I get the hang of CS4. I will take the plunge to work totally in CS4 very soon, but in the meantime I needed a way to get my G10 raw files processed other than with DPP or DNG format.  

Thank you.
JUlie

Harley

• http://www.harleygoldman.com
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:02 am »

You can also download the free DNG converter from Adobe, then use the CS3 raw converter after running DNG.  I have a Canon 5DII, which is not supported in CS3, so that is my workflow.  It will save you some $$$$, is reasonably quick and easy.

Harley

jule

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 10:38:43 pm »

Quote from: Harley
You can also download the free DNG converter from Adobe, then use the CS3 raw converter after running DNG.  I have a Canon 5DII, which is not supported in CS3, so that is my workflow.  It will save you some $$$$, is reasonably quick and easy.

Harley

Thanks Harley, but I have been experiencing problems with the DNG converter. For some reason about 10% of the files become corrupt somehow with big white rectangles covering about one third of the image - not in the same position on the image either - it's quite random. The RAW files are fine, but somehow something is going wrong in the DNG conversion process, and the same has occurred on two machines - my laptop and my studio computer. That's why I gave up with the DNG thing with my G10 files. Haven't had a problem with other camera conversions - just this particular camera and file format.

Thanks anyway.

Julie

sniper

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 06:03:01 pm »

Don't forget you don't need to open CS4 to convert your RAW files, you can do that in ACR from bridge (cs4).  Wayne

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 08:22:51 pm »

If you are working on Windows, the first thing you will want to do is patch CS4 with the latest updates.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up