Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The "dreaded" Lightroom 3.0 wishlist  (Read 29919 times)

Tklimek

The "dreaded" Lightroom 3.0 wishlist
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:47:57 pm »

Ok....so it's a dreary Friday here in Chicago and I'm not sure why but I feel *compelled" to start this silly thread since I don’t recall seeing anyone else that had started it yet.  I’m sure individual bits and pieces are on other various threads, but this may be a place to consolidate those ideas.

Almost feel a bit guilty about doing this too since I in fact am really grateful to Adobe for creating this software for us, but I guess the bottom line is that we are consumers of this Adobe product and well, consumers are hardly ever satisfied.

Based on the very short history of Adobe LR, the initial version was launched sometime around Feb of 2007.  Version 2 came out roughly 1.5 years later sometime around August of 2008.  Using very flawed logic, one can make a half arsed guess (once again, using terrible logic/data) that version 3 might be imminent around January of 2010 (so funny using 2010 in a REAL sentence!!).

I don't really recall seeing this "Lightroom 3 Wishlist" as its own thread, and like I said, since it's a crummy day here in the Windy city I thought I would start it.
So, what would you like to see in version 3.0?

***Note:  If Adobe opens up the program to allow 3rd party plugins/functionality to create non-destructive additions to the RAW workflow (no export TIFF/re-import into LR craziness), many of these might be able to be provided via 3rd party.

My simple starters are included here and are very basic, I'm sure many folks have much better ideas than mine.

• Kick butt soft proofing; much like Jeff Schewe recommends in Photoshop but totally automated and done the CORRECT way
  • Lens correction capabilities – along the lines of PTLens
  • HDR capability
  • Panoramic stitching support
  • Support for picture book layouts
  • Ability to search metadata for any data which exists (such as focal length)…this isn’t possible now…right?

Cheers…
Todd in “dreary” Chicago

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:57:31 pm »

The right place to post feature requests is

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc34322/
Gabor

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:36:40 pm »

It has been a bit dreary here in the south of England today.  Yesterday was a beautiful warm Spring day!

The HDR and book layouts would be good.  How about focus stacking?

I am fairly sure that you can already search for pictures using the lens info, but not sure that you can specify the actual setting
with a zoom lens.

Hope the sun shines for you tomorrow  

Jim

dwood

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:53:09 pm »

Quote from: Panopeeper
The right place to post feature requests is

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc34322/

True, but there's nothing wrong with chatting about this stuff on the forum.

Soft-proofing - yes. What I'd really like to see though is an LR architecture/SDK from Adobe that would provide 3rd party developers the ability to build PI's that could work non-destructively in the LR environment. That would be killer.

Tklimek

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 03:33:40 pm »

I appreciate Gabor's comment as the most "effective" place for this conversation; however there is nothing wrong with meeting at the local pub on Friday (today is Friday after all) for some fun discussion about these issues.  And this forum is a darned good pub!    

Yes, I think the most killer feature would be what you are talking about and what I had mentioned in my original post about letting 3rd party "functions" somehow integrate into the raw processing pipeline in the same non-destructive way that the other internal tools are implemented in Lightroom.

As far as whether or not this is possible from a technical point of view or desirable from an Adobe point of view is not really the point.  Let the folks who use the program have their dreams/visions and the code wizards at the Willy Wonka factory (Adobe) see if they can make those dreams reality.

Everlasting Gobstopper anyone?

Happy Friday!

BTW...seems to have cleared up here in Chicago with sun and blue sky!  Yay!  Although may have snow by Monday...booooo!!

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: dwood
True, but there's nothing wrong with chatting about this stuff on the forum.

Soft-proofing - yes. What I'd really like to see though is an LR architecture/SDK from Adobe that would provide 3rd party developers the ability to build PI's that could work non-destructively in the LR environment. That would be killer.

Panopeeper

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 03:45:23 pm »

Quote from: dwood
True, but there's nothing wrong with chatting about this stuff on the forum
Of course there is nothing wrong with it, except for the effectivity. I don't know if the Adobe LR designers give a fig for those requests, but if they do, then it is useful to post there; if others are requesting the same feature, then the likelihood is greated that it becomes reality.
Gabor

whawn

• The Daily Photograph™
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 04:01:24 pm »

Quote from: Panopeeper
Of course there is nothing wrong with it, except for the effectivity. I don't know if the Adobe LR designers give a fig for those requests, but if they do, then it is useful to post there; if others are requesting the same feature, then the likelihood is greated that it becomes reality.
It is absolutely as effective to post here as to post there.  NIL=NIL
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 04:01:47 pm by whawn »
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 05:12:48 pm »

Add perspective correction to the lens corrections and you'll make my day!
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 05:22:03 pm »

Quote from: whawn

And it's more fun to see it here.

Good list, by the way.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

KeithR

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 05:25:48 pm »

Quote from: Tklimek
Ok....so it's a dreary Friday here in Chicago and I'm not sure why but I feel *compelled" to start this silly thread since I don’t recall seeing anyone else that had started it yet.  I’m sure individual bits and pieces are on other various threads, but this may be a place to consolidate those ideas.

Almost feel a bit guilty about doing this too since I in fact am really grateful to Adobe for creating this software for us, but I guess the bottom line is that we are consumers of this Adobe product and well, consumers are hardly ever satisfied.

Based on the very short history of Adobe LR, the initial version was launched sometime around Feb of 2007.  Version 2 came out roughly 1.5 years later sometime around August of 2008.  Using very flawed logic, one can make a half arsed guess (once again, using terrible logic/data) that version 3 might be imminent around January of 2010 (so funny using 2010 in a REAL sentence!!).

I don't really recall seeing this "Lightroom 3 Wishlist" as its own thread, and like I said, since it's a crummy day here in the Windy city I thought I would start it.

***Note:  If Adobe opens up the program to allow 3rd party plugins/functionality to create non-destructive additions to the RAW workflow (no export TIFF/re-import into LR craziness), many of these might be able to be provided via 3rd party.

My simple starters are included here and are very basic, I'm sure many folks have much better ideas than mine.

• Kick butt soft proofing; much like Jeff Schewe recommends in Photoshop but totally automated and done the CORRECT way
  • Lens correction capabilities – along the lines of PTLens
  • HDR capability
  • Panoramic stitching support
  • Support for picture book layouts
  • Ability to search metadata for any data which exists (such as focal length)…this isn’t possible now…right?

Cheers…
Todd in “dreary” Chicago
There are a couple of LR plug-ins for HDR, LR/Enfuse and Photomatix Pro 3.x. But it requires the round trip like the softproofing we have to do in PS.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 05:38:43 pm »

LR 2 is just about perfect for me in terms of features. But. . . in order:

1. greater stability, LR 2 crashes on me every other time I use the grad filter (and works about 1/2 speed when iTunes is open on my machine)
2. lens correction module a la DxO (that works with DNGs)
3. an "advanced" curves option with points in RGB a la PS
4. soft-proofing in Print module

I would not need PS at all any more if this list were realized in LR3. Which almost guarantees they won't be ; ). I would personally rather LR NOT support HDR, image stitching, focus-stacking, book-binding, espresso-making. . . but I think we'll probably get some of these features before we see all of the above.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 06:30:41 pm »

Quote from: whawn

If what you want to do is talk about LR 3, yes, I suppose here is as good as anywhere. But if you want to have any real impact about the 3.0 development, posting here won't do much good. You would be better off posting where LR engineering and product development people will see it.

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 07:30:09 pm »

One word. . . .
tetheredness
please
and make it stable and foolproof
thanks

Tklimek

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 07:31:03 pm »

Understood.....just a Friday discussion at the local pub for now.

Maybe when this thread has run it's course I could post the end results to the other forum mentioned; for now...just friendly discussion over a coupla virtual beerz!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: Schewe
If what you want to do is talk about LR 3, yes, I suppose here is as good as anywhere. But if you want to have any real impact about the 3.0 development, posting here won't do much good. You would be better off posting where LR engineering and product development people will see it.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 07:37:05 pm »

Quote from: HickersonJasonC
 I would personally rather LR NOT support HDR, image stitching, focus-stacking, book-binding, espresso-making. . . but I think we'll probably get some of these features before we see all of the above.
I'm not sure about the espresso-making, but I agree with the other points. How about a mirror lockup button?   

I guess an automatic Jolt dispenser could eliminate the need for the espresso maker. Pass me another virtual beer, will you?

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 07:52:14 pm »

Quote from: Tklimek

At the top of my wishlist is improved stability and performance.

--Joe
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

Eli Burakian

• Photogaboutit
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 12:34:06 am »

I concur about the soft-proofing.

I also think it'd be nice if it could at least be able to view CMYK images. I just put together a book, and for most of my images, I wouldn't have needed PS if it weren't for the need to soft-proof CMYK images.

I definitely agree that there is no harm in having these discussions here. Conversation spurs innovation, and it seems prudent to take the output of these talks and send them adobe's way, but not burden them with chit-chat. Also, I sometimes find out about features I didn't even know existed through conversations such as these.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 12:48:42 am »

Quote from: EricM
How about a mirror lockup button? 

Heheh - they ought to!  Maybe Canon et al will notice . . .

Speaking of fun goofy program features - did anyone notice Google's Chrome Browser with 3D?

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2009/04/introdu...me-with-3d.html

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 01:08:48 am »

Quote from: EricM
How about a mirror lockup button? 

But then where would the LR engineers put the Direct Print button?

keithrsmith

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 03:19:34 am »

Can we make it version 2. something.  If it;s a version 3 we will have to pay yet again.

Keith
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up