Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The "dreaded" Lightroom 3.0 wishlist  (Read 29915 times)

Tklimek

The "dreaded" Lightroom 3.0 wishlist
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 03:49:58 am »

Keith....

I believe in the past it has been made clear that "big" features such as softproofing will not make their way into a "dot" release but are destined for a "dot oh" release.....

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: keithrsmith
Can we make it version 2. something.  If it;s a version 3 we will have to pay yet again.

Keith

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 04:19:16 am »

Can we make it version 2. something. If it;s a version 3 we will have to pay yet again.

Thats the deal.

+1 for Softproofing. PLUUUEEEAAASE  

Also like to see additional local color correction capability. For example - if there is a patch on someone's skin that is to red - it would be nice to be able to use the targeted adjustment tool to locally correct it. At the moment this can only be done with the local saturation adjustment - which typically is to coarse a tool for this type of correction.  Thats a big one for me for portraits - locally correcting patchy skin color without having to round trip through CS4.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 08:21:37 am »

My primary request would be able to import all image and other files relevant to photography inc video and text files[for notes about locations , names of subjects into the catalogue, which I will then use in LR for renaming metadata etc]. A DAM app that is selective is fundamentally useless and also very frustrating for me as many of my PSD images are simply ignored by LR. I do not need to edit them in LR, just be able to catalogue and open in suitable editor, like PS. Every other feature request comes waaaaay below that for me, as until I can get all my photographs into LR it will simply be sidelined as a tool.
Even the fact that the import  from disk ignores some of the data on one's CF/SD card means I daren't use it for ingesting in case there are video files on board. Photography has moved on considerably since LR was envisaged, LR needs to move with the times  and be a proper DAM app , not a half baked one. Some people claim LR is focused, my view is that it's crippled.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 08:23:15 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 08:43:18 am »

Quote from: HickersonJasonC
1. greater stability, LR 2 works about 1/2 speed when iTunes is open on my machine
Isn't that an iTunes issue? iTunes is a dreadful programme anyway, yeuch!

Josh-H

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 10:01:30 am »

Quote from: jjj
My primary request would be able to import all image and other files relevant to photography inc video and text files[for notes about locations , names of subjects into the catalogue, which I will then use in LR for renaming metadata etc]. A DAM app that is selective is fundamentally useless and also very frustrating for me as many of my PSD images are simply ignored by LR. I do not need to edit them in LR, just be able to catalogue and open in suitable editor, like PS. Every other feature request comes waaaaay below that for me, as until I can get all my photographs into LR it will simply be sidelined as a tool.
Even the fact that the import  from disk ignores some of the data on one's CF/SD card means I daren't use it for ingesting in case there are video files on board. Photography has moved on considerably since LR was envisaged, LR needs to move with the times  and be a proper DAM app , not a half baked one. Some people claim LR is focused, my view is that it's crippled.

I respectfully suggest that you are missing the point.

LR is an image editing app designed to make dealing with a large number of files easier than it has previously been - its not a word processor and its not a video editor. There are other applications for that.

Yes - its a DAM. But its a DAM for simplifying photography from shoot to finish - unquote. Again, its designed to come back from a shoot with a large number of images, quickly sort them, process them and export as required. no more, no less.

I spent 8 hours in the studio last Saturday - shooting over 20 gigs of images. I was able to import them, sort them and process them in LR in a minute period of time compared to what it would have taken in ACR or virtually any other application.

It doesnt get more fundamental - shoot images, import, process, export. If you dont understand that was and is LR's mantra then you need to go back and read listen to the shadowland [A.kA LR] design goals.

Who is to say what is relevant to photography? where does one draw the line in the sand? If I used my calculator to work out depth of field for my 355th frame and stored those calculations in a .xls file - is that excel calculation meant to be ingested into LR; if so how is it to be stored, how is it to be referenced to the original file? and to what end? More importantly.. is LR crippled because the engineers didnt forsee my requirement to import a .xls file? *shakes head*

What you are asking for is LR, PS, Word and a Video editor (and who knows what else) all rolled into one - what an ugly monster that would be....
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:36:05 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 11:09:45 am »

Quote from: jjj
Isn't that an iTunes issue? iTunes is a dreadful programme anyway, yeuch!

It may be an iTunes issue. But, I never have to shut down programs when using PS3. I simply cannot use iTunes and LR at the same time and expect any kind of performance.

OT, but what is lacking in iTunes? I've got around 10,000 albums catalogued in iTunes at the moment, so I'm not about to switch. What are you using? Seems to me that iTunes is basically the LR of music. It was certainly most people's first encounter with database-driven file management.. .

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 11:12:24 am »

Hi,

One thing I´d like is relative adjustments which can be applied to a set of images on export. Let's say I'm preparing a slide show for an LCD projektor and I want to do some tweaking on all images, so I could just apply a relative preset on all selected items while exporting.

Adding more distortion elimination and perspective correction would also be nice and I see these as good candidates for parametric edits.

A small improvement would be cascading presets. So I could have LensPresets->ZA_24_70->at_24 and so on.

Support for NoiseNinja or similar as a parametric edit would be nice.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Tklimek
Ok....so it's a dreary Friday here in Chicago and I'm not sure why but I feel *compelled" to start this silly thread since I don’t recall seeing anyone else that had started it yet.  I’m sure individual bits and pieces are on other various threads, but this may be a place to consolidate those ideas.

Almost feel a bit guilty about doing this too since I in fact am really grateful to Adobe for creating this software for us, but I guess the bottom line is that we are consumers of this Adobe product and well, consumers are hardly ever satisfied.

Based on the very short history of Adobe LR, the initial version was launched sometime around Feb of 2007.  Version 2 came out roughly 1.5 years later sometime around August of 2008.  Using very flawed logic, one can make a half arsed guess (once again, using terrible logic/data) that version 3 might be imminent around January of 2010 (so funny using 2010 in a REAL sentence!!).

I don't really recall seeing this "Lightroom 3 Wishlist" as its own thread, and like I said, since it's a crummy day here in the Windy city I thought I would start it.
So, what would you like to see in version 3.0?

***Note:  If Adobe opens up the program to allow 3rd party plugins/functionality to create non-destructive additions to the RAW workflow (no export TIFF/re-import into LR craziness), many of these might be able to be provided via 3rd party.

My simple starters are included here and are very basic, I'm sure many folks have much better ideas than mine.

• Kick butt soft proofing; much like Jeff Schewe recommends in Photoshop but totally automated and done the CORRECT way
  • Lens correction capabilities – along the lines of PTLens
  • HDR capability
  • Panoramic stitching support
  • Support for picture book layouts
  • Ability to search metadata for any data which exists (such as focal length)…this isn’t possible now…right?

Cheers…
Todd in “dreary” Chicago
Erik Kaffehr

John McDermott

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 12:44:06 pm »

Quote from: Joh.Murray
Heheh - they ought to!  Maybe Canon et al will notice . . .

Speaking of fun goofy program features - did anyone notice Google's Chrome Browser with 3D?

Did you happen to notice the date on that blog?
John E. McDermott

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 12:50:37 pm »

Remember that Adobe wants to keep people buying LR and Photoshop. I don't think you will ever see LR improved to the point where serious photographers won't need PS, at least once in a while.

Peter

oldcsar

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 04:28:58 pm »

An automated softproofing option would be excellent, but at the very least I would like a small image window in the exportation menu which allows the user to see an approximation of what the output sharpening looks like (and at a magnification which is the best approximation of what it will look like in print). I imagine that softproofing is a pretty complex feature to program, but I think that it is also very important to get an idea of what a print will look like after setting output sharpening settings.

Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

Eli Burakian

• Photogaboutit
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 01:08:30 am »

Quote from: oldcsar
An automated softproofing option would be excellent, but at the very least I would like a small image window in the exportation menu which allows the user to see an approximation of what the output sharpening looks like (and at a magnification which is the best approximation of what it will look like in print). I imagine that softproofing is a pretty complex feature to program, but I think that it is also very important to get an idea of what a print will look like after setting output sharpening settings.

I agree. I know that Lightroom sharpening is pretty much using the same algorithms as Photokit Sharpener.  But with PKS, I can see the output sharpening as well as the input sharpening on layers.  Is there any way at all to see the output sharpening in LR or do we just guess as to what Low, Standard, High will do to the image.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 01:51:19 am »

Wouldn't it be faster to add a good DAM capability to C1 4.7?

Cheers,
Bernard

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 08:57:23 am »

Quote from: GBPhoto
Options in Highlight Recovery to recover to neutral or a selected color
Oh, yes, forgot this one!
This example by Guillermo Luijk using DCRaw HR modes made my jaw drop. Having reset it back in place, I wouldn't want to edit a picture by command line though.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

dbk123

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 09:00:52 am »

I'd really like the ability to simultaneously zoom four photos to 100% view and pan them together to check sharpness.  I can do this in Aperture, but not in Lightroom.

-dbk123

Quote from: NikoJorj
Oh, yes, forgot this one!
This example by Guillermo Luijk using DCRaw HR modes made my jaw drop. Having reset it back in place, I wouldn't want to edit a picture by command line though.

sniper

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 06:31:34 pm »

Softproofing, better noise reduction, more local ajustment options.  Wayne

jjj

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 09:53:23 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
I respectfully suggest that you are missing the point.
No I am not. Just because LR imports the files you use, doesn't mean it isn't crippled.
And I respectly suggest you read posts more carefully before replying in such a patronising manner.  

LR is an image editing app designed to make dealing with a large number of files easier than it has previously been - its not a word processor and its not a video editor. There are other applications for that.

Yes - its a DAM. But its a DAM for simplifying photography from shoot to finish - unquote. Again, its designed to come back from a shoot with a large number of images, quickly sort them, process them and export as required. no more, no less.
And to simplify things, it  needs to deal with all image files not some of them. Duh! As it stands it complicates my workflow and gets sidelined as a result.

It doesnt get more fundamental - shoot images, import, process, export. If you dont understand that was and is LR's mantra then you need to go back and read listen to the shadowland [A.kA LR] design goals.
I have and they were not always perfectly realised and although trying different ways of doing things is good, realising a prior method is more effective is an even better way to improve.  Are you also suggesting should one ignore some work produced previously to LR even exists or ignore the fact that times have changed? Again.
Video, for example is now a important part of many photographer's workflow. The Guardian Newpapers just bought a bunch of 5DIIs specifically as they have video, which they want their photographers to use.

Several of LRs early design desicisions were seen to not work, such as ignoring folder structure and were then  thanfully altered. But LR not moving forward as photography has, will render it as ineffective as the software that was struggling with the change from film to digital. The revolution in photography has not finished yet. If I'm going to add metadata to my stills, why would I repeat the process for say my movieclips in yet another programme which probably has a diferent interface and way of working, when it would be so much easier to do both together in LR? And LR uses sound in the slideshows, yet has a pathtic and very clumsy sound import function. Some Pro Cameras can record sound to makes notes about images, which LR halfheartedly acknowledges.
The fact that the slideshow and Web gallery are part of LR, show that photography is not just about prints anymore and multimedia issues like these need to be addressed. Software can be focused andyet still be open as well. They are not mutually exlcusive.

Who is to say what is relevant to photography? where does one draw the line in the sand? If I used my calculator to work out depth of field for my 355th frame and stored those calculations in a .xmp file - is that excel calculation meant to be ingested into LR; if so how is it to be stored, how is it to be referenced to the original file? and to what end? More importantly.. is LR crippled because the engineers didnt forsee my requirement to import a .xmp file? *shakes head*
LR does import .xmp files and is how it can read changes made to files in say, Bridge. Do you know how to use programme?

What you are asking for is LR, PS, Word and a Video editor (and who knows what else) all rolled into one - what an ugly monster that would be....
Try reading posts much more more carefully before replying. I specifically said, it was not important for LR to edit these files, but merely to catalogue them, so I only had to use one DAM app not several. LR simply catalogues all my files relevant to photography and they get opened in the relevant programme, just like it does with PSD files and Photoshop for example. LR is not at present a usuable DAM app, as it can only catalogue RAW, Tiffs + JPEGs.

And although I tend to recommend LR over PS to people these days for most photographic work, I still think LR is deeply flawed and infuriatingly clumsy at times, but it's a lot better than it was. But Bridge is so much faster, less clumsy and more capable for DAM finding/sorting images than LR a lot of the time, so I use that instead. Less clicking and faffing needed.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:59:31 am by jjj »

Tgrain

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2009, 11:35:47 am »

how about the ability to create a multi gallery web page.

Josh-H

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 08:17:12 pm »

And I respectly suggest you read posts more carefully before replying in such a patronising manner.

My post wasn't patronizing - at least I did not intend for it to be. Thats why I said 'with respect'. If it was misconstrued I apologise.

Several of LRs early design desicisions were seen to not work, such as ignoring folder structure and were then  thanfully altered. But LR not moving forward as photography has, will render it as ineffective as the software that was struggling with the change from film to digital. The revolution in photography has not finished yet. If I'm going to add metadata to my stills, why would I repeat the process for say my movieclips in yet another programme which probably has a diferent interface and way of working, when it would be so much easier to do both together in LR?

I agree that being able to do both inside of LR would be a nice function for photographers who also shoot video. My point was - LR is not crippled because it currently cant. Well.. at least it isnt crippled from my perspective since video is not part of my workflow.

And LR uses sound in the slideshows, yet has a pathtic and very clumsy sound import function. Some Pro Cameras can record sound to makes notes about images, which LR halfheartedly acknowledges.

Sound is something I really would like to be able to do more with in LR. It would be great to be able to import and playback the WAV files that I usually record in the field on the 1DSMK3. And there is no question that the sound capability in the slideshow is basic and could do with further development. LR is still only in version 2.3 so I have hope we will see more development in this area.

LR does import .xmp files and is how it can read changes made to files in say, Bridge. Do you know how to use programme?

Thank you - I am well aware of how to use LR. It was late when I wrote my reply above and as a result I typed .xmp instead of .xls [excel spreadsheet files] As you can see above in my earlier post I was refering to saving calculations; which are best done in a .xls file.

But Bridge is so much faster, less clumsy and more capable for DAM finding/sorting images than LR a lot of the time, so I use that instead. Less clicking and faffing needed.

I think that is a matter of personal taste - I find LR less annoying than bridge for cataloguing, sorting and finding. Although I do still use Bridge occasionally as a front end to LR - but not often.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 03:24:51 am »

Here's my top ten wish list.
1. Soft proofing
2. Improved curve option allowing separate RGB channel corrections like in PS, this would also be nice to have available as a local correction.
3. Improved print output to allow multiple sizes/images and the ability to add text boxes to pages. In other words Photo book layouts like iPhoto/Aperture etc.
4. The ability to have keyword sets containing many more than just 9 words.
5. A supplied standard controlled vocabulary.
6. The ability to add local notes to an image in the library and have a flag shown to indicate there is a note for that image. Like a 'post it' note. useful to be able to add this on a folder or collection too.
7. Lens corrections, like PT lens.
8. The ability to build scripts/macros/actions to automate applying presets by metadata. eg applying a specific lens correction to any image shot on a particular lens(as is possible with noise correction now)
9. Wider file format support. I agree that using LR as a DAM is becoming crucial and the ability to add other file formats, like video, for cataloguing, if not editing, will become essential.
10. Better noise correction

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 09:20:44 am »

I have been using the Print feature out of Lightroom 2 for quite a while now and really like in more than Photoshop... Incorporating soft proofing will seal the deal for me at least.

Photo book/album design would be an AMAZING feature to add! Good call on that one Rhossydd!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up