Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Economical Digital Storage  (Read 2511 times)

Bobtrips

Economical Digital Storage
« on: September 22, 2003, 12:29:41 pm »

This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure that it's a feasible idea.

Seems like major modifications would have to be made to each camera so that it could read from a hard drive.  So few people use PHDs that I doubt manufacturers would bother installing this feature into their cameras.

Additionally, the rate of loosing pictures from bad downloads to PHDs seems quite low.  I'd say that the best (cheapest) solution - one cheapskate to another - is, if you are very concerned about PHD failure, carry two.  Double store your images.  

On a long trip stop every few weeks and get some backup CDs made and send a set set home.  Sort of a 'belt and suspenders' approach.

Bobtrips

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 12:07:33 am »

Not a direct download.  You have to remove the card/micro drive and stick in the portable hard drive (PHD) slot.  
-----
It's not clear to me, perhaps you don't know about PHDs (as opposed to external hard drives)?  These are laptop drives in a stand-alone case and have built-in card readers.  They vary from the quite simple (Image Bank and X-Drive) which offer simple storage through other models with various bells and whistles, including viewing screens.  Battery/vehicle plug-in/grid-mains powered.
------
I don't think anyone makes a device that allows direct downloading from the camera.  I can see a big problem with being tethered to a spinning hard drive as you walk around.

Tethering (or just now appearing wi-fi) in the studio is quite doable.  Nice steady surfaces for those disks.

(How does one keep from crashing the head on their in-camera disk?   Just plain caution?)

Cheapskate

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 07:36:11 am »

For the next generation of cameras, how about building in the ability to write to and read from USB devices such as a hard disc in an external drive box. (The latter to allow checking that pics have been safely stored before deleting from the card.)

For existing cameras is it feasible to make a device to connect the camera's USB output to an external drive box to back up images. To check that they are there could this device have an output emulating a flash card so that the camera screen could be used to check the external hard disc's contents. (presuming no camera manufacturer is going to update its firmware to permit this.)

I know there are already storage devices with viewing screens, but for basic storage using the camera screen ought to reduce the price

Cheapskate

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 05:29:39 pm »

Bobtrips, are you saying that it is possible to download from a camera to a hard drive? I have a 10D if that is relevant. If so how?

cheapskate

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 07:19:39 am »

Bobtrips,
Thanks, I am aware of the proprietary PHDs, I was speculating on a device to allow any standard hard disc or other USB input storage device to be used to interface a camera or card reader. As I have the reader and a hard disc in a USB external box I am halfway there. I dont want to tether to a working camera but was theorising on an alternative to carrying a laptop or purpose built PHD, and saving money!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up