Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smaller cut sheets for Z3200?  (Read 2852 times)

DougBG

• http://
Smaller cut sheets for Z3200?
« on: April 03, 2009, 02:28:08 am »

I'm comfortable with my choices for roll paper (18" and 24"). Some of these are available up to 13x19 cut sheets, nothing smaller.  It may sound odd, but I have a need to print not only large format, but smaller as well.  Any thoughts about something that is similar in quality and performance to Pro Satin?  Without breaking the bank would be nice too.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:24:31 am »

Quote from: DougBG
I'm comfortable with my choices for roll paper (18" and 24"). Some of these are available up to 13x19 cut sheets, nothing smaller.  It may sound odd, but I have a need to print not only large format, but smaller as well.  Any thoughts about something that is similar in quality and performance to Pro Satin?  Without breaking the bank would be nice too.

It may be a good idea to first check the minimum sheet size the Z3200 can handle.
Then there is the trick to print an image on half of that sheet and the other half in the next print run without cutting the first half off.
Not that it is economic on time in any way but it makes the smallest prints possible and doesn't waste the 12 mm extra feed margin.
Why not reverse roll a part of the Pro Satin on another core, wait 24 hours and cut it to flat sheets that the Z3200 can handle?
Same calibration, same profile, same print results.
I only print on sheets when I get paper samples  from the supplier or make proofs on leftovers.
Small production prints are nested on the roll width with Qimage.

With a Z3100 I can do this: Cut a paper strip 30 cm = 12" deep from the roll and load and print that lengthwise as if it is a small roll and with a minimum of 14 cm deep the printer cutter will make the smallest print page possible = 30x14 cm from the smallest roll possible, the image 29x13 cm with margins. Saves on loading sheets one after another too. 4 prints that size on a 24" long strip, the last might just print but you have to cut off the trailing edge yourself. Instead of calibrating on the start of a 44" roll I cut a similar strip that deep, calibrate on that and the rest is used like described for proofs, small prints etc keeping the calibration target as the trailing edge. The normal strip that is cut off when calibrating is too small for roll loading. Whether the Z3200 does it the same is something I have to test further.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:26:42 am by Ernst Dinkla »

John Caldwell

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:44:09 am »

Letter size papers are the smallest that can be handled by the Z3200 Sheet "Manual" Feed mode. On a Mac, you need to enter Page Setup to select sheet goods, and can do so for only those paper sizes where sheet media is a selectable option. It is not possible to create a Custom Paper size in Page Setup that relies on sheet goods; Roll Paper will be the only media source for Custom Sizes.

My experience suggests that you can fool the software somewhat. As an example, I have selected 18x22 sheet goods, but actually fed 17x25 Harman Gloss FB in the Manual Feeder, and the machine tolerated that - HP told it it would not print once the Z had measured my media to be dimensionally different from that specified.

Printing from Lightroom has worked very well in my hands to generate small prints from roll paper. As an example, on the HP Professional Satin I commonly print 5 each 4x6 images side by side, after creating a Custom Paper size of 24x7 in Page Setup. I usually do this for print proofing purposes, but cutting the results into individual 4x6 sizes would work. My working style prefers this to the notion of straightening and cutting roll media before printing, but Ernst's method would certainly work.

In Lightroom printing, letter size prints have required some margin changes to center the image in the intended way. Too, I have also preferred to manually correct skew when loading letter size sheets so as to more reliably locate the image on the sheet.

I'll confess that my favorite image results on glossy media have been on the HP Professional Satin material that you describe liking. I don't truly care for the paper in terms of its weight and handling ability - it feels like non-1st rate material in my hands. I'm trying to perfect results with other glossy media like Harman Gloss FB and Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta, but for now those papers are giving me dark prints. You may have seen the other thread on this topic.

Letter size prints on matte media have been very encouraging. Favorite matte papers have been Canson BFK Rives, Crane Museo Max, and the Hahnemuhle William Turner and Museum Etching.

I'm grateful to find other Z3200 users here and look forward to corresponding. HP Tech Support division has been a powerful disappointment to me in our multiple interactions since I received the Z in November 2008, so I value this kind of dialog immensely.

Best wishes,

John Caldwell
Pittsburgh, PA
USA

DougBG

• http://
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:31:31 pm »

Thank you both for the lengthy and informative responses. I'll see what works best for me and let you know.  Right now, I've got to figure out how to profile Moab Entrada Bright Rag and print both sides for a porfolio book.  That will keep me busy for a bit.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 02:32:07 pm »

A little bit off topic, but is there any information out on da internets that suggest we will see a 17 inch printer for the photo market from HP?
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up