Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows  (Read 4030 times)

John R

Windows
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:33:43 pm »

[attachment=12689:NS_old_w..._ptxcopy.jpg]Taken in Nova Scotia and converted to BW. Yes the lines are not straight, but this aspect is minimal, I think. It is the aesthetic appeal that counts for me. Does the image evoke something, like nostalgia or something else?

JMR

Edit- I have added a colour version for anyone interested in comparing.

JMR
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:53:17 am by John R »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Windows
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:48:02 am »

There are some good lines in the image, but the soft focus effect doesn't really work for me.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

dalethorn

Windows
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 05:52:06 am »

Quote from: John R
[attachment=12689:NS_old_w..._ptxcopy.jpg]Taken in Nova Scotia and converted to BW. Yes the lines are not straight, but this aspect is minimal, I think. It is the aesthetic appeal that counts for me. Does the image evoke something, like nostalgia or something else?
JMR

Yes. And it's quite good as is, but it could be extended to all sorts of ideas with an additional prop - something leaning against the wall, etc.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Windows
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:40:09 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
There are some good lines in the image, but the soft focus effect doesn't really work for me.

Mike.

I like the composition but I agree with wolfnowl. I think a gritty/grainy type conversion could work very well, as it will accentuate the texture in the weathered wood.
The soft focus is kind of counterintuitive vs. the rest of the picture.
pieter, aka pegelli

francois

Windows
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:12:24 am »

I'm with Mike and Pegelli, I don't think that the soft focus adds anything to your photo. The weathered wood and windows already create a sense of the past or nostalgia.
Francois

shothunter

• http://
Windows
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 03:35:47 pm »

I agree with the soft focus not adding much to your photograph - but it doesn't keep me from liking the image, makes me curious as to what's behind the window...
"I never bracket (...), bracketing is a

John R

Windows
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 06:46:10 pm »

Mike.
Thanks for the comments. Don't know what to say. On other sites most people like it, even with the soft technique. After I tried it, I realized it conveyed a kind of nastalgia and mystery, which I wanted, so I went with the soft look. I know that you are reader of TOP (The Online Photographer), and you may recall Mike Johnson or someone else (? at least he wrote about it) did an experiment using images from masters. Many people wrote in wanting to correct their images in various ways, citing all sorts of rules or corrections they would make. Not that I want to be compared to the masters, but the point for me is, when an image is reasonably good, one either likes it for various reasons or not. I respect your opinion.

JMR
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:04:17 pm by John R »

John R

Windows
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 06:48:34 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
Yes. And it's quite good as is, but it could be extended to all sorts of ideas with an additional prop - something leaning against the wall, etc.
Thanks for the comments, Dale. Of course I was on Holiday and not shooting with props in mind. I was just drawn to the windows and the shack and the wood and surrounding wildflowers.

JMR

John R

Windows
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 06:51:51 pm »

Quote from: pegelli
I like the composition but I agree with wolfnowl. I think a gritty/grainy type conversion could work very well, as it will accentuate the texture in the weathered wood.
The soft focus is kind of counterintuitive vs. the rest of the picture.
Your point is taken, however, I will submit the grainy, gritty look is not the only possible one in this scene. I did show this image for years as a straight shot of windows, but realized the window through windows evoked much more, at least to me. Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

JMR

John R

Windows
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:54:32 pm »

Quote from: francois
I'm with Mike and Pegelli, I don't think that the soft focus adds anything to your photo. The weathered wood and windows already create a sense of the past or nostalgia.
Thanks, Francois. I can only ask that you look at my pevious explanations. Your way of seeing the image is totally legimate as far as I am concerned. It's just that I chose a different way of looking at the scene.

JMR

John R

Windows
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 06:56:55 pm »

Quote from: shothunter
I agree with the soft focus not adding much to your photograph - but it doesn't keep me from liking the image, makes me curious as to what's behind the window...
Thanks for the commentary. If interested, please see my other replies. As far I am concerned, there is no better version, just what one prefers, and each is legimate in its own right, at least, IMO.

JMR

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Windows
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 02:14:26 am »

Quote from: John R
Thanks for the comments. Don't know what to say. On other sites most people like it, even with the soft technique. After I tried it, I realized it conveyed a kind of nastalgia and mystery, which I wanted, so I went with the soft look. I know that you are reader of TOP (The Online Photographer), and you may recall Mike Johnson or someone else (? at least he wrote about it) did an experiment using images from masters. Many people wrote in wanting to correct their images in various ways, citing all sorts of rules or corrections they would make. Not that I want to be compared to the masters, but the point for me is, when an image is reasonably good, one either likes it for various reasons or not. I respect your opinion.

JMR

Hi John:  It was just a critique, not a criticism!  Go with what speaks to you!!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

John R

Windows
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 07:03:52 am »

Hi John:  It was just a critique, not a criticism!  Go with what speaks to you!!

Mike.
Ok Mike, I see your point.

JMR
Pages: [1]   Go Up