Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best full frame portrait lens?  (Read 8589 times)

duraace

Best full frame portrait lens?
« on: April 02, 2009, 02:19:16 pm »

What do people think is the best full frame portrait lens, for use on the Nikon D700?  I have the 85mm f1.4 and the 105mm f2.8 VR.

tetsuo77

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 03:49:40 am »

Quote from: duraace
What do people think is the best full frame portrait lens, for use on the Nikon D700?  I have the 85mm f1.4 and the 105mm f2.8 VR.

Check the Cosina offerings for it [namely Zeiss and the Voigtländer SL I offerings, which are the almost same lenses].

Nevertheless, depending on what your lenses are [age], be carefull about the light bouncing back into the lens from the sensor [were they film era "regular" lenses, you might notice the difference in form of veiling flare. Happens with the FA* 24].

Edit:
Not mentioning the possibilities of "exotica" -Angenieux, Petri- or adapting medium format lenses for it -Pentax 645, Fuji -Hasselblad-, Mamiya-.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 03:52:06 am by tetsuo77 »

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:39:56 pm »

You have two of the best. So which do you prefer?

Jim D T

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:04:46 pm »

Here's a subversive thought:

Portraiture is probably one area where the ultimate in resolution, contrast etc. isn't really all that important.

Sure the old-timers used big view cameras (Yusef Karsh comes to mind), but that was probably more to have a nice big neg for the retoucher to work with, rather than a desire to render every pore, hair or complexion defect in wondrous detail! Indeed, in some circles, lenses with a bit of softness at wide apertures are seen as good for portraiture. One wouldn't want to go too far down that road (that gauzey look is a bit out of fashion) but I'm sure that either of the lenses already in your kit will produce much more detail than any but your yougest sitters want to see!

Jim

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 10:36:47 am »

As always, it depends on what you're trying to do. The 85 f:1.4 is probably the best all-around portrait lens; it provides a nice working distance, mildly flattering perspective, and beautiful soft defocused backgrounds. I really like the way sharpness 'rolls off' at the edges of the frame when you focus on the eyes with such a lens at about f:2 or so.

Probably my all time favorite portrait lens was the Pentax 85 f:1.4, which was beautifully built, compact, crazy sharp with beautiful bokeh. Too bad I sold it when I went digital. Currently I use a Canon Eos-1Ds III, and I have three lenses I routinely use for portraits. The Canon 85 f:1.8 is plenty sharp when stopped down to f:2.4 or so, and it's way, way lighter & cheaper than the f:1.2 version. The 135 f:2 is actually my favorite, as I've gotten used to the longer working distance and its intense sharpness; it's great for extracting the subject out of a busy environment, like a crowded restaurant. Finally I have Sigma's 50 f:1.4, which is great for environmental portraits where I want to show a bit of background or surroundings with the subject. Very sharp, very little vignetting, and nice bokeh again.

Among your above choices, I'd like the 85 f:1.4; the f:2.8 isn't quite fast enough for indoor light, and I like the option of more defocused background.

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 10:51:40 am »

This is a loaded question and very subjective, some people like the 105vr for portraits, I don't. Its not flattering for people but good for counting nose hair and wrinkles, if that's what you want.

The 85/1.4 is good but I still prefer the 135/2DC as the ideal 35mm portrait lens. Its rendering is more special for me, the fl is even preferable for close-ups, and has a beauty that the 85/1.4 and the 105/2 DC lack imo. Otherwise the Zeiss 85/1.4 is also a brilliant lens.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:53:09 am by ddk »
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

MarkL

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 08:10:27 am »

You probably own them both already. I'm not mad on the corner softness on the 85mm f/1.4 though it can work to advantage in some situations. The 105mm DC has a few issues with autofocus so I'd take the VR.

The only other I can think of is the zeiss zf 85mm f/1.4
Pages: [1]   Go Up