Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first portfolio site...need critiques  (Read 3484 times)

nubins

• http://www.lightboxf8.com
My first portfolio site...need critiques
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:02:46 pm »

Hi everyone,

I just finished my first portfolio site and wanted some opinions of my work. Mostly I have not concentrated in one genre but just take pictures of things that interest me but usually have a theme.

My blog has many more photos from a few assignments I have done over the last two years.

Please check it out and let me know your opinion but please take it easy, I am young and impressionable.  

http://www.lightboxf8.com

Thanks for looking,
Jeremy
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:04:58 pm by nubins »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:01:51 pm »

Quote from: nubins
Hi everyone,

I just finished my first portfolio site and wanted some opinions of my work. Mostly I have not concentrated in one genre but just take pictures of things that interest me but usually have a theme.

My blog has many more photos from a few assignments I have done over the last two years.

Please check it out and let me know your opinion but please take it easy, I am young and impressionable.  

http://www.lightboxf8.com

Thanks for looking,
Jeremy

Jeremy, First thing to do is get rid of the elevator music. Then it will be possible to look at the pictures without being distracted. In the length of time I watched before I decided I had to get off the elevator I saw some pretty good pictures. Post when the music is gone and I'll go on through the rest of the site.

One other negative comment, though. The opening is far too complicated and jazzy. What you want is for people to to be interested in your photographs, not in how jazzy you can make your web. Simpler is always better.

Best regards,
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:20:03 pm »

Quote from: RSL
First thing to do is get rid of the elevator music. In the length of time I watched before I decided I had to get off the elevator I saw some pretty good pictures. Post when the music is gone and I'll go on through the rest of the site.
Ditto.

nubins

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:29:08 pm »

Music is turned off. I did not think the music was that cheesy since its Squarepusher and Aphex Twin but if it takes aways from the images then its gone.

I look forward to the feedback.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 04:17:53 pm »

Music is turned off. I did not think the music was that cheesy since its Squarepusher and Aphex Twin but if it takes aways from the images then its gone.

I look forward to the feedback.

Okay. That's better. Unfortunately, when I get to one of your collections I have a choice between a slideshow and no slideshow. If I pick no slideshow I have to use the mouse to navigate. Can't use the arrow keys or page down/page up. It's a minor point but an irritant. You don't want irritants on your web.

I see some excellent pictures in there along with some ho-hum stuff. The second editorial shot is very good except that it looks seriously over-sharpened. Third editorial shot is excellent. The fifth editorial shot is a cliche. Every beginner shoots people on ladders.

The first two still lifes are pretty ho-hum. The third is excellent. That's really original work. Go with that kind of originality.

The first street shot is good. The next two aren't my cup of tea, but they seem well done from a technical point of view. Fourth street shot is another cliche. Both Walker Evans and Brassai did this over and over, to much greater effect. I'm not saying it's not possible to shoot this kind of thing, but if you do you have to be familiar first with what's gone before and do something that goes beyond that. By the way, when you title a collection "On the Street," you usually indicate that you're shooting pictures of people doing interesting things.

The first four Coastlands shots are cliches. The fifth is excellent. That one is an example of something that's been done a lot, but that can always be done so well that the re-do isn't a cliche. Bravo! That's good work.

Keep working at it, but keep it simple. Only show your very best. Be brutal when you cull your stuff. You're on the right track.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 05:12:52 pm »

I did not think the music was that cheesy since its Squarepusher and Aphex Twin but if it takes aways from the images then its gone.

I'm not familiar with Squarepusher or Aphex Twin, but does their music fall under some sort of open source license, or do you have permission or a license to use their music on your site?  

We photographers are so concerned about people using our images without permission, seems to me we should be equally respectful of the intellectual properties of others.

Paul
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:41:10 pm by PaulS »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 05:18:31 pm »

Jeremy

Check out your site in Firefox on Mac. I got a black page with a ring of white dots.

John

nubins

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:34:49 pm »

Firefox on a Mac is what I use for the most part and test. The site is flash based. Do you have Flash installed in Firefox? I have not had anyone else have a problem.

The music has been killed from the site since most people seem to have an issue with it.

I was not really looking for critiques on the site per say. I was hoping for more critiques on my work so I can take the next step as a photographer.

Any comments on the work is greatly appreciated.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 02:54:29 am »

Yes, I have Flash Player 10 on Firefox 3 - how else would I see that ring of dots? It's your call whether you want a proportion of your visitors not to see your work.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 12:39:31 pm »

I was not really looking for critiques on the site per say. I was hoping for more critiques on my work so I can take the next step as a photographer.

These days, presentation is as important as the content (as you found out with the music comments).  You want viewers' first impressions to be as strong and positive as possible.

That said, I reiterate the previous comment to be ruthless in editing your work.   IMO it's one of the most important things any photographer can do to advance his/her craft.  For example, your first 2 "Coastlands" images are very similar. The fact that 2 of less than 20 total images are virtually the same makes me (at least) wonder why you didn't replace one of them with another strong image.

Paul
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 06:14:22 pm by PaulS »

nubins

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 11:03:40 pm »

The fact that 2 of less than 20 total images are virtually the same makes me (at least) wonder why you didn't replace one of them with another strong image.

Point well taken. I will replace with something different soon.

I was just hoping to get more critiques on the work like RSL gave me so I can improve instead of critiques on the website.

I continue to search for critiques from any one who wants to help.

Again, thanks to all who posted.

Jeremy

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 03:36:53 am »

You only got critique on the website from me for the pretty basic reason that it didn't work.

nubins

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 10:03:09 am »

Sorry, I don't know what could be wrong. I did some research on the issue and the only support I received was clear the FireFox cache.

I'm sorry it did not work for you but since I can not replicate the problem and no one else has had this problem then I really can not troubleshoot the issue.

I'll start asking around on some other forums for critiques and hopefully the issue you had does not come up for others viewing the site.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:21 am »

I think asking around other forums is the right answer - if one person has a problem you can bet there will be others.

The comment about clearing the cache mainly applies to you. You may have a working movie / html / script in your cache, whereas I was loading a later version.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up