Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any advantage of not converting to DNG?  (Read 37347 times)

Panopeeper

Any advantage of not converting to DNG?
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2009, 11:29:14 pm »

Quote from: Nick Rains
you still have to commit to a manufacturer specific workflow whether you use a camera manufacturer format or Adobe's format. It's this aspect that has people concerned.
This "manufacturer specific workflow" is in truth not a big issue if one is not using LR or Bridge (like I don't). The integration of ACR in Photoshop is miserable; the raw image handling for example in DPP is superior to ACR, and it passes the result to Photoshop if you want it to. I am using ACR because of the better adjustments, but the plugin architecture is a serious impediment.
Gabor

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2009, 11:48:22 pm »

Quote from: Panopeeper
This "manufacturer specific workflow" is in truth not a big issue if one is not using LR or Bridge (like I don't). The integration of ACR in Photoshop is miserable; the raw image handling for example in DPP is superior to ACR, and it passes the result to Photoshop if you want it to. I am using ACR because of the better adjustments, but the plugin architecture is a serious impediment.
It seems one has to choose the 'least bad' option!

"The integration of ACR in Photoshop is miserable" - in what way? It works fine for me, and quite easily.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Panopeeper

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 01:40:51 am »

Quote from: Nick Rains
"The integration of ACR in Photoshop is miserable" - in what way? It works fine for me, and quite easily.
I am sure you know this but simply accepted it as "God given".

ACR is a plugin of Photoshop, with all the restrictions.

- Do you never want to take a look at another image while you are editing in ACR? You can not switch over to PS.

- You can not add or remove a file from those initially opened by ACR.

- You can not process files from several directories together.

- You can not accept the adjustments of some files (i.e. storing the adjustments) but keep some others unchanged.

Unfortunately, the restriction of processing files only from a single directory applies to DPP as well.
Gabor

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2009, 02:03:55 am »

Quote from: Panopeeper
I am sure you know this but simply accepted it as "God given".

ACR is a plugin of Photoshop, with all the restrictions.

- Do you never want to take a look at another image while you are editing in ACR? You can not switch over to PS.

- You can not add or remove a file from those initially opened by ACR.

- You can not process files from several directories together.

- You can not accept the adjustments of some files (i.e. storing the adjustments) but keep some others unchanged.

Unfortunately, the restriction of processing files only from a single directory applies to DPP as well.

1. True, but I use a browser on another computer or monitor to see images.

2. True but it never worried me. ACR only processes the ones that are selected in the ACR thumbs list anyway and ignores the rest. Adding more is OK because you can open more files even after you have started ACR processing and add more to the queue. It's still a bit cludgy in this respect admittedly.

3. Yes you can. Open (or drag and drop) a non-contiguous selection of files from Photo Mechanic or Expressions Media and they all open into ACR just fine.

4. Yes you can. Open the files, adjust the ones you want to and click 'done'. Only the ones you have adjusted will have their adjustments saved.  You can use the reset button to revert to where files were when you opened them so that's much the same thing as canceling or not accepting specific image edits.

Not so bad after all!
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up