Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 4.7 released  (Read 71465 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2009, 04:29:50 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
True. Though V4 now runs pretty well in its current state and though there are some very good new features I think everyone still has a list of things to be fixed or improved.

Having spoken with them personally I can tell you no one is more aware of this than Phase One's developers. However, I would point out that it is often a sign that you're doing pretty well when you get criticism. It reminds me of group photo critiques in college. The most criticism was usually given to the best shots because shots that weren't any good weren't worth the time, and no single tweak would have meant much.

I think 4.7 is a major milestone for C1 4.

- no fixed viewing size smaller than "to fit"; the image is always next to the browser and/or the tools.
This distracts from the image as you never have a neutral framing.
And if you hide the browser the image is getting bigger. Honestly reminds me of the interface preset in Photoshop Elements.
Why can't we set fixed 12,5% or even 8% viewing size? I don't get it.

Something likely to be added in the mid-term future.

- still no user preset for the prefered input profile at start. C1 always starts with the "Flash" profile.

Hopefully soon! I'm also waiting for that. Either that or a "import with style" from card which you can set a default with.

- scrolling through thumbnails is still much too slow (even in already created sessions and/or the folders set as "favorites")

They have made great strides here in the last several versions, but I agree it is too slow still and I hope it improves even further.

- stitcher is missing.

This sucks! I would love to be able to stitch in the raw format again. The Photoshop workaround would be much better, but in-raw would be much much better. I know it's on the roadmap; so I hope they get to it soon!

I dream of having my four-image tech camera stitches automatically detected and combined into one large (probably virtual) raw file to allow the full range of processing tools and maintain the same workflow.

- preview on/off for settings. e.g. noise reduction - I'd like to compare my current setting on/off with one click.
There are workarounds of course... safe the setting and toggle between the saved setting and a zero setting (and afterwards delete the saved setting).
Or set a variant... means switching to mulitview, afterwards switching back to primary view and delete the variant. Both... slow. Much too slow.
In addition preview on/off of entire tool panes would be great (so if you have lens correction, noise reduction and sharpening in one tool pane it would be handy to preview on/off the settings in that pane in one step).

I think that's a fantastic suggestion.

[...] In the library, if you right click on your prefered output folder (possibly containing a lot of big TIFs) to set it as output folder... C1 immediately creates a folder and starts to create previews. Funny.
We can set the output folder in the process tool, sure. But why can't we set it while creating a new session? (Or am I missing something here?)
The entire folder structure lacks of flexibility.

In the library view you can right click on a folder and "set as output folder". If you do this a lot you can assign a keyboard shortcut.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

tho_mas

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2009, 04:52:53 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
I think 4.7 is a major milestone for C1 4.
Yes, I think it's running pretty well now. Still trouble with switching to session/folders created on Windows but within their respective systems V4.7 runs stable here.
I think that's a fantastic suggestion.
good that you agree! I put it as feature request at Phase support... month ago :-)
Maybe things change when you are going to double this.

In the library view you can right click on a folder and "set as output folder". If you do this a lot you can assign a keyboard shortcut.
yes, that's what I was referring to - in this case C1 creates a "capture one" folder and starts to create previews... as the output folder already contains (a lot of) TIFs. To avoid this it's better to set the output folder in the process tab. But I don't understand why we can't set the output folder when creating sessions? Is it that extraordinary complicated to code? I don't think so.
Too I am a GREAT fan of the central cache of C1V3 Windows. One folder for all the previews - either way if on local or external drive. And in addition the option in the preferences to schedule the deleting of the previews (after 10 days or whenever). This was always much, much better than on Mac. But I think this will remain unchanged unfortunately.

As to the stitcher - if you agree - you may double my suggestions (feature request) that it would be extremely useful if we could use layers. Because this way we could use the LCC shots as masks to correct vignetting precisely! That's the way I do it in Photoshop but it's a lot of work.

Anyway...

Thanks, Doug!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:54:13 pm by tho_mas »

aaanorton

• http://
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2009, 07:18:49 pm »

Thanks for the rename tip. I wish there were a menu selection for this too, but a contextual item does the trick.

I don't want to start an argument, but their file format is not open. If it were, Aperture would would have access to them directly, without relying on Adobe to provide an open simulation of the original.

Your reply to my processing engine comment illustrates the long standing problem surrounding this issue. I suggested openning it up and you countered that it could never be given away. These are simply not the same thing. There are people (including myself) who think an open and free processor from Phase makes sense in the long run, but putting that aside I'd still like to see it made open and standardized.  

Quote from: dougpetersonci
To batch rename:
1. Select the images to be renamed
2. Right Click (control click on a mac) and select "Batch Rename" from the context menu
3. In the Batch Rename Window note the options by clicking the down arrow in the corner.

The raw format IS open. Adobe Camera Raw (a.k.a. Photoshop and Lightroom), Raw Photo Processor, Irrident Raw Developer, and Capture One can open them natively because those developers have included support. Phase even included output to DNG so that you could use the raw file in programs for which the developers have not included support (e.g. Aperture).

As for giving away the processing engine: you might as well ask Adobe to "open up" their library/keyword engine, web-gallery creator, etc etc. The excellent processing engine is one of the key advantages of Phase One and the fact that Capture One is the only software from a Medium Format Digital Back manufacturer which also has a massive following as a general processing (for dSLRs) says a heck of a lot about the value of that processing engine.

Just a minor point: it's not much I know, but you CAN edit the copyright and caption field which translate through to processed files as universally accessible metadata (in photoshop, the finder etc).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up