Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 4.7 released  (Read 71450 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2009, 05:08:33 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Well, so far here's what I've noticed:

1) It's faster

2) you now use the tab key to toggle through the tool palette adjustment boxes and

3) when in those little adjustment boxes the up and down arrow keys increase or decrease those respective adjustments by 1 point  

4) you can now adjust basic jpegs or tiffs

5) you can package the adjustment set with the file

6) Oh, and it installed flawlessly right over 4.6 without having to first remove all traces of 4.6   (I'm running OSX 10.5.6.)

Cheers,

Jack,

Now that's what I call a concise and useful review.
You could have become a technical writer or maybe even gone to law school

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2009, 05:18:50 pm »

It's time to upgrade to 4.7

It is vasty improved.  Most of the annoyances are gone.  If you have problems on your system it is easy to uninstall, and move back to an older version.  Phase keeps all the old versions available on their web site....   http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/...rchive%203.aspx

My advice is to read the instruction manual cover to cover.  There are lots of hidden gems that will save you much more time than it takes to read the thing (you will also have better looking processed files, and better organization of them too).

I would also recommend the training classes.  I took the Master class from Capture integration this past week and it was great....  http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/11/...ne-web-seminar/

I can finally really learn the software and move away from 3.7 rather than going through the process of beta testing each new version of 4 that comes out.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:20:07 pm by ericstaud »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2009, 06:38:49 pm »

Quote from: eronald
Jack,

Now that's what I call a concise and useful review.
You could have become a technical writer or maybe even gone to law school

Edmund

Thanks Edmund, glad you found my summary useful.  

Cheers,
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2009, 07:13:01 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Well does anybody have any comments about 4.7 so far??
I have not installed it yet as I am fine with 4.6.3.
Thanks
Snook

Yes one really nice thing that was not there in the past that I know i was asking for. Corner sharpness control for the Mamiya 28mm D lens. Finally 4.7 now has the control for it and it works very nicely. I had to cheat before and copy a 35mm setting and apply it to the 28mm . Now it is supported. Also I found that you can use the Tab key to move around in the adjustments and use the up and down arrow to adjust exposure , contrast and anything else that has a slider attached to it. You can tap or you can hold it down for larger movements. I asked Doug to see if Phase could make a small change to it . Actually two changes instead of it glowing white when you are on the box make it green so you can see it easier and also to eliminate the tab bars in each category just skip those and get to each slider faster in each category. Have to try this to see what I mean. But nice new feature that is very handy and if they make those 2 small fixes, should be very fast for the user.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:15:16 pm by Guy Mancuso »
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

selsoe

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2009, 01:02:25 am »

If you use Shift+up/down arrows to make adjustments, you get larger increments

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2009, 02:54:37 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Thanks Edmund, glad you found my summary useful.  

Cheers,

That 8 line post was a polished gem. If only web site "reviews" were as informative!
BTW, putting your name in the automatic "signature" is a neat timesaver ...

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

R_Medvid

• http://kadru.net
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2009, 03:05:56 am »

Upgrading is good, but I am really puzzled with the way it is being done.

I was an aspiring fan of CO 3.5.x in Ukraine when my colleagues couldn't even pronounce the name of the company (saying something like Faza Vuhn

When I finally bought my P30 and I received the full version of the previously tried PO 3.7.8 I was thrilled, but not for long -- PO started CO4. My local dealer is asking some extra hundred EURs for this version, and I'm still trying new upgrades.

Of course I like a lot of changes: good move from the "garage" design, finally overlay image feature in Windows, more structured approach to files in sessions, etc. But the minor featues and bugs and underthought functions that are still pop up in 4.7 amaze me.

I don't understand it when with minor updates you change this SHIFT key function or add some arrows support. You cannot change the control of the program on the go. Users usually grow to it - it should be thought through in advance, tested and only then presented in big bulks -- making users re-read the manual all over again.

Some of the frustrations:

1. Process. When I do a convert according to 2 recipes: one full-size jpeg and one preview screen jpeg -- the preview jpeg comes out like after the worst algorythm ever [attachment=12775:girl__CO4.jpg].

Have a look and compare to simple PS downsizing [attachment=12774:girl_PS.jpg].

One user used to alert on this on PO user2user forum, but so what?  

2. Color tagging and sorting. After you color tagged some of the pictures and then sorted the images according to the color, the images with the same color come in an order that I fail to fathom. 26, 5, 13, 54, 1.... When I sit with my Client after the shoot and we are looking through the red-marked images, I am speechless to explain to them why the images don't come in the order we were shooting. Client of course think that the photographer is not familiar with the soft.

This flaw comes up only in Windows version, as far as I know. I filed a support case some time ago with PO. Here comes 4.7 - no change. (

Overall, stability of the program is still far below compared to 3.7.8. Same computer, same Windows, same everything...

Some of the questions:

1. Web Gallery and small JPGs. Not all your web galleries should be Flashy. Some people like it, some prefer old good HTML. Please.

Also the latest tip from vastly respected CI to produce little JPGs by creating a web gallery is very indicative of the program. You have to trick and hack ))

2. EIP format.

- aware of it or not, PO is doing right from the marketing viewpoint to introduce this format. There is a theory that complementary market segments should de-value each other. For example, SUN (hardware) is de-value-ing the software developers (by sponsoring Linux, OpenOffice, etc). Microsoft and others view hardware as a commodity. So PO is pushing RAW files to commodity segment, implying that now Clients would be wise to purchase CO4 as well ).

- some of the issues with EIP are not clear. Obviously, info packed into the EIP file and info from the Settings folder should conflict. How does CO4 prioritize two sets of settings? If you change the settings of the EIP, both sets of settings change? What happens to the mainstream settings when you unpack (though you might not need it, but you may) the file? All these issues should be clarified -- probably I need to read the new manual book again)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:32:12 am by R_Medvid »
Roman Medvid
Mamiya AFD / P40+
http://kadru.net

selsoe

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2009, 03:31:39 am »

Quote from: R_Medvid
- some of the issues with EIP are not clear. Obviously, info packed into the EIP file and info from the Settings folder should conflict. How does CO4 prioritize two sets of settings? If you change the settings of the EIP, both sets of settings change? What happens to the mainstream settings when you unpack (though you might not need it, but you may) the file? All these issues should be clarified -- probably I need to read the new manual book again)

When you pack to EIP, the settings are moved from the settings folder to the package, so there are no conflicts. When you unpack, they are moved back into the settings folder.

tho_mas

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2009, 04:53:41 am »

underthought functions that are still pop up in 4.7
True. Though V4 now runs pretty well in its current state and though there are some very good new features I think everyone still has a list of things to be fixed or improved.

Here is mine (probably incomplete):

- cmd +/- removed from V3 to zoom in/zoom out (a pain on the mac version!)

- no fixed viewing size smaller than "to fit"; the image is always next to the browser and/or the tools.
This distracts from the image as you never have a neutral framing.
And if you hide the browser the image is getting bigger. Honestly reminds me of the interface preset in Photoshop Elements.
Why can't we set fixed 12,5% or even 8% viewing size? I don't get it.

- the dark interface; I prefer the Windows mid grey or the Mac white from V3.
At length I become tired working with dark interfaces.
But this will remain unchanged. End of subject.

- still no user preset for the prefered input profile at start. C1 always starts with the "Flash" profile.

- scrolling through thumbnails is still much too slow (even in already created sessions and/or the folders set as "favorites")

- RGB chanels missing. According to Phase One chanels will be back.
I put a feature request regarding a fourth chanel for luminance only. I'm curious about it.

- stitcher is missing.

- I'd like to reduce the number of tools. Would be great if we could delete (or fade out) entire tool tabs.
e.g. I combined "lens", "details" and metadata. So I don't need the tools "details" and "metadata" anymore.
As I always use keyboard shortcuts to jump to the next (or previous) tool tab this would be handy for me.

- preview on/off for settings. e.g. noise reduction - I'd like to compare my current setting on/off with one click.
There are workarounds of course... safe the setting and toggle between the saved setting and a zero setting (and afterwards delete the saved setting).
Or set a variant... means switching to mulitview, afterwards switching back to primary view and delete the variant. Both... slow. Much too slow.
In addition preview on/off of entire tool panes would be great (so if you have lens correction, noise reduction and sharpening in one tool pane it would be handy to preview on/off the settings in that pane in one step).

- oh, yes, and all the "capture one" folders all over the computer and the lack of a "delte previews" function right from C1... this is a pain. In the library, if you right click on your prefered output folder (possibly containing a lot of big TIFs) to set it as output folder... C1 immediately creates a folder and starts to create previews. Funny.
We can set the output folder in the process tool, sure. But why can't we set it while creating a new session? (Or am I missing something here?)
The entire folder structure lacks of flexibility.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:57:32 am by tho_mas »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2009, 09:53:36 am »

Quote from: selsoe
If you use Shift+up/down arrows to make adjustments, you get larger increments

When you pack to EIP, the settings are moved from the settings folder to the package, so there are no conflicts. When you unpack, they are moved back into the settings folder.

Selsoe, those are both great tips. I hope you don't mind I've added them to our articles on EIP and Quick Keyboard Adjustments. If you'd rather not receive credit or would like the link to point elsewhere just let me know.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2009, 10:04:32 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Selsoe, those are both great tips. I hope you don't mind I've added them to our articles on EIP and Quick Keyboard Adjustments. If you'd rather not receive credit or would like the link to point elsewhere just let me know.

FWIW, adding Shift+Tab moves you backwards through the adjustment boxes...
Jack

Snook

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2009, 10:17:21 am »

A lot of great info here guys..
Thanks
Snook

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2009, 11:23:54 am »

Quote from: eronald
That 8 line post was a polished gem. If only web site "reviews" were as informative!
BTW, putting your name in the automatic "signature" is a neat timesaver ...

Edmund

Yep. And folks don't need a Ph.D to understand what I'm talking about.  As for the signature, I never understood needing to have it appear twice...  

Cheers,
Jack

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:15 am »

Some of the frustrations:

1. Process. When I do a convert according to 2 recipes: one full-size jpeg and one preview screen jpeg -- the preview jpeg comes out like after the worst algorythm ever [

Have to agree here.  The C1 small jpeg rendering is pretty pathetic quality compared to a stepped downrezzing in CS4.  But then so are most other one-shot small jpeg creation algorithms in other raw converters...
Jack

selsoe

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2009, 01:23:01 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci

No problem, I'm glad to help  

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2009, 01:50:26 pm »

Can someone please tell if there's a way to search for a file within Capture One?
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

billthecat

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2009, 10:29:26 am »

After trying to run it in trial mode something called ImgCoreProcess.exe seems to crash everything when it doesn't get Internet access. Is there a work around for this?

Bill

aaanorton

• http://
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2009, 02:40:03 pm »

There's a good amount of info in here so far. Thanks to all contributing.

Here are some of my questions/comments on 4.7:

1. Praise Baby Jesus for the up/down, shift- up/down arrow adjustments (Now if only Apple would get fully on that boat with Aperture...). One small quibble: I wish that upon making adjustments, I could hit Enter and have the setting saved, but also highlighted for further editing or numeric input. It seems to me that hitting Return or Enter could give you either result, i.e. saved and deselected (as it is now) or saved and selected (as I just described).

2. Is there a preview in the EIP format? This might allow basic usage of Aperture or Portfolio for large (20TB +) libraries.

3. Metadata. I'm glad that metadata is no longer nuked (seemingly), but full metadata editing and templating is necessary. As is batch renaming. Am I missing batch renaming somewhere?

4. The multi threading looks great. Any word on 4.7 in a xgrid environment? Would it play nice?

Paul, I'm glad you mentioned the CO as plug-in idea. I've been lobbying Phase people for this since LR beta. Imaging if CO was simply another tab in LR... Nice. This would solve so many problems. Phase' devs are great at coding processing but not so good with organizing, UI, metadata, printing, web galleries, etc. So why not pay them to what they do best and allow Adobe to pay their devs to do the rest?

And since I enjoy repeating myself so much, Phase One, please open up your RAW format and processing engine and compete from there.

Thanks,
-c

selsoe

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2009, 03:42:46 pm »

Quote from: aaanorton

2. Is there a preview in the EIP format? This might allow basic usage of Aperture or Portfolio for large (20TB +) libraries.

3. Metadata. I'm glad that metadata is no longer nuked (seemingly), but full metadata editing and templating is necessary. As is batch renaming. Am I missing batch renaming somewhere?

There is no static preview embedded in the EIP's, however a Quicklook plugin is included in Capture One, so previews can be generated on request in the Finder or other applications utilizing Quicklook. Note however, that the generated previews are of the unadjusted raw files.

There is currently no metadata editing, but hopefully we'll see it in the future.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2009, 04:15:51 pm »

To batch rename:
1. Select the images to be renamed
2. Right Click (control click on a mac) and select "Batch Rename" from the context menu
3. In the Batch Rename Window note the options by clicking the down arrow in the corner.

And since I enjoy repeating myself so much, Phase One, please open up your RAW format and processing engine and compete from there.

The raw format IS open. Adobe Camera Raw (a.k.a. Photoshop and Lightroom), Raw Photo Processor, Irrident Raw Developer, and Capture One can open them natively because those developers have included support. Phase even included output to DNG so that you could use the raw file in programs for which the developers have not included support (e.g. Aperture).

As for giving away the processing engine: you might as well ask Adobe to "open up" their library/keyword engine, web-gallery creator, etc etc. The excellent processing engine is one of the key advantages of Phase One and the fact that Capture One is the only software from a Medium Format Digital Back manufacturer which also has a massive following as a general processing (for dSLRs) says a heck of a lot about the value of that processing engine.

There is no static preview embedded in the EIP's, however a Quicklook plugin is included in Capture One, so previews can be generated on request in the Finder or other applications utilizing Quicklook. Note however, that the generated previews are of the unadjusted raw files.

There is currently no metadata editing, but hopefully we'll see it in the future.

Just a minor point: it's not much I know, but you CAN edit the copyright and caption field which translate through to processed files as universally accessible metadata (in photoshop, the finder etc).

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up