Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 4.7 released  (Read 71449 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 03:31:04 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
What does matter is if we ask 7 questions about medium format we also get 4 answers back.  So with that in mind;

You've said this before. Perhaps you could clarify what you are comparing to.

It seems like to me that if you ask Canon or Nikon about future enhancements, features, or product development you get far far less.

Bit Off Topic I guess.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 04:17:48 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Forgot to mention: the new 8-core macs have hyper-threading which allows two threads on each core.

Capture One 4.7 takes advantage of this and is about 60-70% faster in processing large volumes of files as compared to 4.6.3 on these new 8-core macs.

Obviously this will only apply to a small number of users, but those users are the one's likely to be processing several thousand images a week and this means hours less of processing time.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Hi
So Capture One will work faster with the new 2.26 8 core Mac? Reason I ask is I am about to buy one.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

tho_mas

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 04:38:15 pm »

Quote from: mcfoto
So Capture One will work faster with the new 2.26 8 core Mac?
Faster compared to what?
C1 V4.7 adresses all 8 (16) cores equally, yes.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »

if a client asks for a "raw" file, most mean an un-retouched TIFF...so provide 16bit tiffs....

i totally agree that handing over actual raw files is not in the interest of the photographer...at all...

it is funny to read that the last upgrade was just 3 weeks ago....this could be a good sign...but in this case it isn't...i understand that it is hard to keep up with everything and in all fairness phase 1 capture one pro is by far the best software solution out of the MF in house solutions....
but as far as i remember there have been so many issues with the latest upgrades (loosing/corrupting files????!!!!!! that is crazy! please make it crash but PLEASE do not wipe out the shoot!!!)
so anyway....i am shooting with the 5DII tomorrow....on a mac tethering is still not that easy (have to run VMware with XP to get that done)...so i will try C1.....if i have time today to check it out and make sure i won't mess up something else?....that is what i mean....wait with the next update and make sure it REALLY works....it used to be that i could trust C1 to be the most bulletproof solution out there....i would have downloaded, praised the lord and shot tomorrow without even thinking.....i guess we are seeing microsoft's influence.....

gwhitf

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 05:06:38 pm »

Quote from: pss
..wait with the next update and make sure it REALLY works...

If there is money on the table, I have four solid words for anyone: Three Point Seven Nine.

End of story.

Not that that will help you tomorrow with your 5D2.

I still consider Four Point Anything to be Beta, unless you're shooting sunsets or bunnies.

Doug Peterson

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 05:15:27 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
How bout' a firmware upgrade to change the end marker for the previous backs?

When shooting tethered any Phase One Digital back (including the Lightphase, H5, H10, H20, H25... every back inbetween ... P45+ P65+) can shoot to IIQ format. If you are shooting to a card you can use a program like Better Renamer as soon as the card imports to change the file extension to .IIQ from .TIF.

Again, the only difference is the file extension. The file format has not changed.

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 05:31:54 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
If there is money on the table, I have four solid words for anyone: Three Point Seven Nine.

End of story.

Not that that will help you tomorrow with your 5D2.

I still consider Four Point Anything to be Beta, unless you're shooting sunsets or bunnies.

Up until 4.6 I would have agreed with you. But I've had great success with the performance and the stability of 4.6, and now much prefer it to 3.7.9.

I shoot mainly in the studio, tethered to my P30+ or the Canon. The added controls of 4.6 over 3.7.9 (I usually use shadow and highlight recovery, vignetting), the greatly improved previews, and the much faster downloading/processing of previews make it a much more precise and professional tool over the old version.

The previews in 3.7.9 used to freak out my clients all the time. I shoot a lot of fashion, and the previews would often show horrendous moire, even if there was none. It seems like it was an image compression problem, as I almost never get moire in my processed images.

The previews pop up quickly and look great in 4.6. I'm playing around with 4.7 now, and the new keyboard navigation/exposure adjustments are extremely helpful.

No complaints over here.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:38:15 pm by G_Allen »

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 06:33:08 pm »

Why folks think this is still beta is beyond me. Too me the improvements over anything in the past is certainly there . I have yet to lose a file or run into a wall at any time. Improvements are great and as thy are developed and worked on is what we have been getting.    I won't ever complain when a company tries to make improvements on there products. Sure something may slip through the cracks and that will happen with anything. I still think not because i shoot Phase i had C1 when the 1ds came out and it still is the best raw processing out there not only for Phase backs but every camera i owned since the 1ds and there have been many. Main reason i bought the Phase back
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 06:44:30 pm »

edit
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:00:49 pm by Steve Hendrix/Phase One »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

tho_mas

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 07:08:30 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
I personally find this very helpful as I have copies of files across numerous hard drives, I don't always shoot into sessions, etc, and sometimes I've gotten the settings sidecar file separated. Now I don't have to worry about that.
yes, finally now it is similar as it always was in V3... Windows :-) There we could store the settings and LCC files all in the RAW files folder just by command from the adjustment menu of C1. One folder for all files need. Back up... done.
Either way... "eip" is a good option for internal workflow and back up.
If one uses self created icc profiles this should be stored in addition as "eip" does not contain the camera profile used (not yet)... it just stores the setting.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:09:56 pm by tho_mas »

Doug Peterson

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 08:29:03 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
If one uses self created icc profiles this should be stored in addition as "eip" does not contain the camera profile used (not yet)... it just stores the setting.

True, but the new paradigm for ICC Profile editing in Color Editor is to keep one of the standard profiles as a baseline and then add in a set of line-itemed changes. This is FAR more powerful and flexible since once a set of changes have been made you can go back and modify any and or all of those changes without needing to reset to the baseline profile again.

I.E. You now save Color Editor as "presets" rather than a final ICC profile. These "presets" are included in the EIP.

Paul Sumi

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 08:32:00 pm »

Doug,

Slightly OT: is version 4 compatible with the Magne camera profiles for version 3?

Thanks,

Paul

tho_mas

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 08:46:46 pm »

True, but the new paradigm for ICC Profile editing in Color Editor is to keep one of the standard profiles as a baseline and then add in a set of line-itemed changes. This is FAR more powerful and flexible since once a set of changes have been made you can go back and modify any and or all of those changes without needing to reset to the baseline profile again.
I.E. You now save Color Editor as "presets" rather than a final ICC profile. These "presets" are included in the EIP.
That's right. Actually we could do it in V3 as well (as long as the color editor was opened). But now as part of the tools this is more obvious and by far more comfortable to adjust.
In the case that certain high saturated colors (in consequence of the adjustments) will exceed the camera profiles gamut it's obvious that it's better to create a new profile... otherwise these high saturated colors will be clipped. But this will happen rarely.

tho_mas

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 08:49:35 pm »

Quote from: PaulS
Slightly OT: is version 4 compatible with the Magne camera profiles for version 3?
Yes. (possibly you have to rename them according to the naming conventions of the Phase One profiles)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:52:23 pm by tho_mas »

Snook

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 09:14:40 pm »

I'll check.

What would be great would to be able and put a target point like in ACR so you can target the readings to a Point for calibrating skintones right from the get go.

I find that option pretty handy in ACR when I have to do quick conversions on the fly.
Might help other photographers as well.

Maybe a possible option in 4.8?
Thanks
Snook

Doug Peterson

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 04:01:11 pm »

Three free guides have been placed on our website.
Making Small JPGs using Web Contact Sheet
Using the Keyboard Based Shortcuts for Quick Adjustments
An Explanation of the EIP format

I'd be happy to take suggestions on what future guides we can write.

E_Edwards

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 04:38:41 pm »

Well, I downloaded a Demo for the first time and tethered to my 5DII. It tethered immediately, it worked instantly and I found it very easy to find my way around. I liked it a lot. Much better than the old 3x version, much more modern and intuitive. I am used to working with many programs and interfaces, so I found this pretty easy at first glance. I still have to tackle the selective hue adjustments. I liked the standard colour wheel for colour corrections, easy to make changes. The Kelvin and Tint slider would benefit from an indication of what tint or temperature you are sliding towards...like green to magenta or cool to warm, but I don't really need it myself.

The only thing that I couldn't find is a button to open LiveView, presumedly because it's not supported, which is a shame if this is the case, (please let me know if this is not so).

I found it considerably better in the "noise in the dark areas" department than Lightroom.

Also, I haven't tried it beyond 100 or more pictures to see if it freezes due to the USB problem with OSX 10.5.6 and I guess this may still be an issue for the moment until Apple update the OSX.

It processed files really quickly, I was quite surprised,  but I would've liked (as with Lightroom) the Output folder to automatically open and beep when the process is done, though this is no big deal.

All in all, I spent about an hour with it and was impressed so far, with many things left still to discover. I think this is a program that I may be using in the future tethered with the 5DII.

Edward
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 04:52:00 pm by E_Edwards »

Guy Mancuso

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 04:51:56 pm »

I found it considerably better in the "noise in the dark areas" department than Lightroom.

That has been the case with every camera i have run through C1. The noise is far better than Lightroom could ever do.

ziocan

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 05:57:13 pm »

I think that 299 euros or 399$ for C1 pro is definitively pretentious.  
It does a couple of things that are better than LR or Aperture, but also the other softwares do a few things better than C1, it also lacks a lot of features to be priced so high.
Web galleries feature is very minimal, printing module is non existent, slide show PDF presentation..., sorting out files is still not even close to the easy of use  and the possibility offered by the other two softwares.
if I'm not wrong, there is not even an exif editor....  

Guy Mancuso

Capture One 4.7 released
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 06:03:10 pm »

Quote from: ziocan
I think that 299 euros or 399$ for C1 pro is definitively pretentious.  
It does a couple of things that are better than LR or Aperture, but also the other softwares do a few things better than C1, it also lacks a lot of features to be priced so high.
Web galleries feature is very minimal, printing module is non existent, slide show PDF presentation..., sorting out files is still not even close to the easy of use  and the possibility offered by the other two softwares.
if I'm not wrong, there is not even an exif editor....

Two things separate it from anyone else. It works tethered for non Phase backs aka Nikon and Canon and after 8 years of using it I still think without question the best raw converter when it comes down to quality of Image. Having a Phase back is the plus for it
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up