Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem w tethered shooting into capture one pro 4.6  (Read 3151 times)

Greg Haag

Problem w tethered shooting into capture one pro 4.6
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:04:47 am »

I recently upgraded laptops to the new macbook pro which only has the firewire 800 and at the same time upgraded to capture one pro 4.6.  So I setup for a test shoot to make sure everything was working correctly and ran into some issues, which are as follows;

1. On almost every other shot the camera would fire but the image was black (this is the case even when triggering the back from Capture One), flash units triggered.
2. On most (not all) of the remaining shots there are 3 verticle red lines on the far right hand side of the image

Here is my setup;
Hasselblad H2
Phase One P20
MacBook Pro OS 10.5.6 w/4gb ram
Capture One Pro 4.6
Firewire 800 cable

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:10:49 am »

Quote from: Greg Haag
I recently upgraded laptops to the new macbook pro which only has the firewire 800 and at the same time upgraded to capture one pro 4.6.  So I setup for a test shoot to make sure everything was working correctly and ran into some issues, which are as follows;

1. On almost every other shot the camera would fire but the image was black (this is the case even when triggering the back from Capture One), flash units triggered.
2. On most (not all) of the remaining shots there are 3 verticle red lines on the far right hand side of the image

Here is my setup;
Hasselblad H2
Phase One P20
Capture One Pro 4.6
Firewire 800 cable

Thanks in advance,
Greg

What did your dealer say?

I would start off by reading our Ideal Tethered Setup guide.  Phase One backs and Capture One are a very robust tethered solution, so please read this guide a troubleshooting aid.

The most likely scenario is that your firwire port is not providing sufficient power. The fix would normally be to set your back to "Menu > Configuration > Power Source > Battery"; however, this is not available on the P20 and P25 non plus models (it is available on every other Phase One model). For those models you would need one of Capture Integration's "Port Isolators" to trick the back into using it's battery power.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:12:10 am by dougpetersonci »

Greg Haag

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:15:01 am »

Doug,
Thanks for your response.  Do you know if the firewire 800 carries less power than the 400?  I can shoot with my old macbook pro with the 400 and c1 db and it works fine.
Thanks again,
Greg

Quote from: dougpetersonci
What did your dealer say?

I would start off by reading our Ideal Tethered Setup guide.  Phase One backs and Capture One are a very robust tethered solution, so please read this guide a troubleshooting aid.

The most likely scenario is that your firwire port is not providing sufficient power. The fix would normally be to set your back to "Menu > Configuration > Power Source > Battery"; however, this is not available on the P20 and P25 non plus models (it is available on every other Phase One model). For those models you would need one of Capture Integration's "Port Isolators" to trick the back into using it's battery power.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:53:58 am »

Doug,
Thanks for your response.  Do you know if the firewire 800 carries less power than the 400?  I can shoot with my old macbook pro with the 400 and c1 db and it works fine.
Thanks again,
Greg

I know it sounds crazy, but it can vary from one computer to the next even if they have the exact same specs, and a specific computer can be fine for a year or more and then suddenly begin to have inconsistent firewire power. In general the firewire power is more consistent while the battery is above 50% full or when it's plugged into the wall. For P21, P30, P45, and all P+ owners this becomes a non-issue because you simply change the power over to "battery" and the back will run off it's own integrated battery. It's only the P20 and P25 which lack this menu option, and our $35 cable is a good substitute for that menu option.

yaya

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 12:01:01 pm »

Here is my setup;
Hasselblad H2
Phase One P20
Capture One Pro 4.6
Firewire 800 cable

Thanks in advance,
Greg

If it's a 15" and it's powering from the wall, try taking the battery out so it won't be wasting juice on trying to charge it and will direct more power to the ports.

Cfranson

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:28:11 pm »

Quote from: yaya
If it's a 15" and it's powering from the wall, try taking the battery out so it won't be wasting juice on trying to charge it and will direct more power to the ports.
Unfortunately, running the Apple Macbooks and Macbook Pros without a battery cuts the CPU speed by half. If it means the difference between being able to run a back or not, I guess that's the option, but it definitely isn't ideal.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 04:42:46 pm »

the cheapest option i found to cut the backs power from firewire with a p25 was to use a FW cf card as they dont supply power.

i find it best to run the back without laptop power as the laptop has stuff all power to last long, but the backs running off its own power run quite a while . its also easier change a backs battery than to restart a computer.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Greg Haag

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 05:59:10 pm »

Here is what I have found so far.  I shot a session today with the approx 24" 800 wire from my card reader and had absolutely no problems.  So it appears that my laptop does not have the power to use the 15' cable.  If anyone has any other thoughts I would love to hear them.
Thanks
Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up