Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson HDR grey inks  (Read 2565 times)

Enrico PA

Epson HDR grey inks
« on: April 02, 2009, 04:34:58 am »

I have a little doubt about HDR's grey inks.

What's the raw color of these two inks?
Are they warm as the original Epson K3 greys, or neutral as the Canon Lucia greys?

Thank you
Enrico

Enrico PA

Epson HDR grey inks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:23:03 am »

Quote from: Enrico PA
I have a little doubt about HDR's grey inks.
What's the raw color of these two inks?
Are they warm as the original Epson K3 greys, or neutral as the Canon Lucia greys?

Really nobody can help me about this question?
Thank you !!

Enrico

Ernst Dinkla

Epson HDR grey inks
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:33:04 am »

Really nobody can help me about this question?
Thank you !!

Enrico

No idea, if you have that printer print a neutral greyscale stepwedge, take a microscope and check whether there is color ink used to make the print neutral. If not and you consider the print neutral then the 3 Grey inks are neutral. As far as I know the HP Zmodel have neutral grey inks as the only wide formats and will lay down only grey inks when they get a neutral B&W image to print.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Enrico PA

Epson HDR grey inks
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:45:00 am »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
No idea, if you have that printer print a neutral greyscale stepwedge, take a microscope and check whether there is color ink used to make the print neutral. If not and you consider the print neutral then the 3 Grey inks are neutral. As far as I know the HP Zmodel have neutral grey inks as the only wide formats and will lay down only grey inks when they get a neutral B&W image to print.

Thank you very much, Ernst.

No, I'm not an 7900 owner. I have to decide which printer to buy between the x900, Canon ipF and HP Z3200 series.
I think that neutral grey inks are better manageable in BW printing, because of less coloured inks needed to reach the desired tone (neautral or cold). This can determine an higher lightfasteness and less problem due to pigment settling.

The 7900/9900 grey inks color can be observed in a nozzle check test or similar ....
... even better printing a 21-step chart from QTR, selecting ONLY a grey channel.

Enrico PA

Epson HDR grey inks
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 04:31:12 pm »

To all owners of an Epson 7900/9000....
.... please please please, can you check the color of light-grey and light-light-grey inks ?

It takes only few seconds ....  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:31:51 pm by Enrico PA »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Epson HDR grey inks
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 07:27:44 pm »

I have a 7900 but cannot answer your grey color ink question. The output to my satisfied clients is all that matters.
Have you tried calling Epson? They are very good and will want to help you with your questions if they can.
Dan Berg
Bergs Canvas Gallery
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:33:36 pm by Dan Berg »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Epson HDR grey inks
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 03:28:34 am »

To all owners of an Epson 7900/9000....
.... please please please, can you check the color of light-grey and light-light-grey inks ?

It takes only few seconds ....  

mmmm  ... few seconds? doubtful.  I read something about using a microscope?  Not sure where I put that thing ...

While neutral can be measurable, in practical use it seems to be 'subjective" ... what may be neutral to you may not be to someone else. I don't do a lot of black and white, but as Dan mentioned, B&W looks great .. and most of the time I'm not trying to get a 'neutral' rendition ...

Enrico PA

Epson HDR grey inks
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:08:18 am »

Quote from: Dan Berg
Have you tried calling Epson?

Yes, I do, but at the moment I have not received answers.

However, thank you for the replies.
It is not so easy to judge* the ink color from the nozzle check pattern and I was wrong about QTR, at the moment it has no support for Epson 7900/9900.

*) probably it is possible only by direct comparison of two tests, one printed with "old" K3s and the other printed with the new HDRs...

Enrico
Pages: [1]   Go Up