Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazing accessory for my H3D  (Read 5622 times)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Amazing accessory for my H3D
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:57:13 pm »

I was recently told about a really cool rechargeable portable battery from a company called big wave power, which can be used to power a H3D when used with a view camera, as opposed to tethering it or connecting it to that overpriced piece of junk the image bank. I just got it today and it worked perfectly. The cost.....$100. The cost of the imagebank..........$2000. The main difference besides the price is that the battery works, whereas the imagebank is good for holding up the leg of a wobbly table. You can power your mp3 player and loads of other stuff off it.
I didn't buy direct because there was problems shipping it outside the US. I couldn't get anyone by phone or email, but I got it through expanseys.com. I'd still use the camera tethered to a laptop when shooting architectural but I'm looking forward to shooting landscapes a few kilos lighter than before.
So you know who you are who told me, Mr. R but you,re a life saver.
Thanks

Nick-T

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:40:38 pm »

Edna tell us what you really think about the Image bank...

Can you provide a link to the unit?

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:46:35 pm »

Quote from: Enda Cavanagh
I was recently told about a really cool rechargeable portable battery from a company called big wave power, which can be used to power a H3D when used with a view camera, as opposed to tethering it or connecting it to that overpriced piece of junk the image bank. I just got it today and it worked perfectly. The cost.....$100. The cost of the imagebank..........$2000. The main difference besides the price is that the battery works, whereas the imagebank is good for holding up the leg of a wobbly table. You can power your mp3 player and loads of other stuff off it.
I didn't buy direct because there was problems shipping it outside the US. I couldn't get anyone by phone or email, but I got it through expanseys.com. I'd still use the camera tethered to a laptop when shooting architectural but I'm looking forward to shooting landscapes a few kilos lighter than before.
So you know who you are who told me, Mr. R but you,re a life saver.
Thanks

there are quite a number of lithium polymer batteries on the market from Asia that handle 5V-19V, and have a multitude of power points to attach to different devices (I use one for my macbook pro)
there's an adapter for Firewire to a more standard power point also which can be used with these devices
and yes they usually cost between $100 to $200

Goooo asia!

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:56:12 am »

Quote from: jing q
there are quite a number of lithium polymer batteries on the market from Asia that handle 5V-19V, and have a multitude of power points to attach to different devices (I use one for my macbook pro)
there's an adapter for Firewire to a more standard power point also which can be used with these devices

Goooo asia!

hi jing, can you post a link for a battery option backup for your macbook pro? cheers paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 05:10:30 pm »

Quote from: paul_jones
hi jing, can you post a link for a battery option backup for your macbook pro? cheers paul

hey, I don't have the exact name on me now but do a google for a "universal lithium battery" for laptops , there are a bunch.
all you need to do is to adapt the power adapter of the mbp to attach to the battery connector

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:35:24 pm »

The link to the supplier is http://www.bigwavepower.com/prod_search/powerall.php
Like I said though I rang and emailed them but got no response. So I don't know what's going on there. I got mine on expanseys.ie. (I live in Ireland) I just checked www.expansys-usa.com and they say it's discontinued. Also it seems to go under 2 names for some reason. On the big wave power website they call it  the EnergyPORT, formerly known as the Titan I. Where I bought it, they called it the Titan I. So maybe they are going under.

Now here's my little imagebank story.
When I bought the whole Cambo Digitar wide DS camera system, which I now use with my H3D I was going to get an image bank. After eventually getting the system delivered after about 5 months from Cambo I was first to be given a trial run of an imagebank. They guy I deal with in the irish suppliers couldn't get the brand new image bank working. I had a whole shoot organised for the next day so I had to borrow a phase one camera for the shoot. My mac book pro was getting serviced. Great fun it was. Different digital back used with a view camera (which I never used before) and new phase one software. Oh ya, and the camera dealer, who was the new agent for Cambo in the country, could give me just more or less incorrect information. For example he neglected to say anything about a little thing called custom white calibration. Of course most of the bloody photos were ruined with the colour cast. The "instruction manual" for the cambo was from memory a 2 page document. So that was full of vital information too. I could not go and reshoot so I had to painstakingly remove a colour cast that goes from greeny cyan to magenta. Oh such fond memories. Hold on till I flail myself.

The second happy memory of an imagebank was when the dealer got in a second imagebank and they again lent it to me to try out. I again went on a photo shoot that was a 3 hour journey from home, spent the whole day shooting, drove back 3 hours, went to check the raw files and oh look what a joy, I couldn't open the files. The dealer tried to recover them and couldn't. They sent it back to Hasselblad and seemingly I dropped the brand new imagebank from a height even though it was spotless and without a mark. They said this never happened before, which I thought was a bit ironic, because they must have forgotten about the other brand new imagebank that hadn't worked either. So for some strange reason, I decided against purchasing the image bank. Have always tethered the camera to my mac book. It's not as much of hassle doing the architectural work and the control you have is to be honest for me at this stage pretty crucial but trekking around the country taking landscapes with a tethered cambo camera and a hasselblad sysetm and a tripod wasn't too good for the mind. The flailing tends to sort me out on that one. But now that I have this handy little battery all that will change. It's literally just the size of an ipod.

Quote from: Nick-T
Edna tell us what you really think about the Image bank...

Can you provide a link to the unit?

Nick-T

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 07:42:57 pm »

This drives me mental. I have the H3D and Cambo digitar wide DS camera system. And although there are sometimes serious issues with the compatibility between the 2 (as you can see on several posts from various members, I still love this system, but Hasselblad are a bunch of crooks. As you say Jing there are several of these batteries out there, but I was never told that by hasselblad nor the dealer. He was quite emphatic that the only option was to tether it to a laptop or power it from an imagebank. They just want you to to fork out something thats 20 times more expensive and as you saw in my other rant seems unpredictable at the very least.

Quote from: jing q

Goooo asia!

BJNY

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:51:31 pm »

Enda,

How is the universal power supply connected to where on the digital back?

Did you have to order a separate "tip" ?

Thanks,

Billy
Guillermo

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 02:13:12 am »

Quote from: Enda Cavanagh
  This drives me mental. I have the H3D and Cambo digitar wide DS camera system. And although there are sometimes serious issues with the compatibility between the 2 (as you can see on several posts from various members, I still love this system, but Hasselblad are a bunch of crooks. As you say Jing there are several of these batteries out there, but I was never told that by hasselblad nor the dealer. He was quite emphatic that the only option was to tether it to a laptop or power it from an imagebank. They just want you to to fork out something thats 20 times more expensive and as you saw in my other rant seems unpredictable at the very least.

Hi Enda,

I did actually mention the Big Wave solution as long ago as October on this forum (and by others in June) so we have been talking about it.  

As these solutions were yet untested we were cautious in recommending them incase there was a spate of H3D's being fried.  Thats all.

I am sorry you had a couple of duds with the Image Bank but there are many happy users too.

David
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:14:46 am by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

• Capture One
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 02:14:21 am »

Quote from: BJNY
Enda,

Thanks,

Billy

Just to the Firewire port on the H3D.
David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 02:16:15 am »

You could also use Tekkeon...

http://tekkeon.com/downloads/dtasht_MP3450i.pdf

Separate Firewire tip available.

David Grover

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 02:26:16 am »

Enda,

Thanks,

Billy

https://shop.vpost.com.sg/GenericMall/invok...roduct=SNBLBC05
https://shop.vpost.com.sg/GenericMall/invok...roduct=SNBLBC01
https://shop.vpost.com.sg/GenericMall/invok...roduct=SNBLBC04
https://shop.vpost.com.sg/GenericMall/invok...roduct=SNBLBC02
https://shop.vpost.com.sg/GenericMall/invok...roduct=SNBLBC03

the difference between the products apart from battery life is voltage, some of them handle only 5v output, some 9v-12v, and the one I have covers 5v-19/20v output.
Mine is the Victor. Charges my cell phone, runs my MBP, runs my speakers, etc etc..

and yes you need a firewire tip. Leaf provided me one for use with the power adapter when I bought their aptus. so I think you can find one online easily.

As long as you know what the voltage of your product is, then it's basic electronics...(I'm no electrical engineer that's for sure!)

btw not sure about how much it costs in the US but I did abit of scouting and I got mine for about US$170, for a 18,000 mAh battery
similar lithium polymer battery solutions cost about $180 or so, I've seen some really overpriced one from some US sellers so be careful...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:30:37 am by jing q »

Peter Bur

• Professional London Photographer
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 06:40:52 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
You could also use Tekkeon...

http://tekkeon.com/downloads/dtasht_MP3450i.pdf

Separate Firewire tip available.

David,

Could you use the Tekkeon MP3450i battery connected via the firewire port on the back to also power the H3D camera ??

Thanks, Peter
Peter Bur
My Website www.peterbur.co.uk

• Capture One
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 08:33:28 am »

Quote from: meagain
David,

Could you use the Tekkeon MP3450i battery connected via the firewire port on the back to also power the H3D camera ??

Thanks, Peter

As far as I understand, yes.
David Grover

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 11:54:36 am »

There is a usb II and firewire 400 slot on the battery. There about 10 or 12 little adaptors to connect various phones and stuff. For the H3D camera all you need is a 800 to 400 fire wire cable. The firewire 800 end goes into  the camera. Just  have a cable that's long enough to give you a bit of flexibility. The one the comes with the camera is more than long enough. You can slot the battery onto your belt using a little supplied pouch. Although I might just get some way to attach it to the tripod DIY style.

Enda,

Thanks,

Billy

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 06:36:02 pm »

Aaaargh David
I don't know if you can help but I went away for the weekend to shoot landscapes and was looking forward to using the new rechargeable power supply from Big wave power I bought recently. I was having a lot of problems with it when I used it with the H3D back on the Cambo Digitar wide DS
It would work fine for the 1st 30 shots or so but than suddenly it would turn itself off. If I shot 3 photos - one at 2 stops under, one at normal exposure and one at 2 stops over exposure for HDR, than the battery would turn itself off after the overexposed shot . This shot was about 1/4 second. This was also the exposure I had set on the back. Sometimes it would turn itself off and on again and again. Sometimes when I kept pressing the menu button on the H3D back the cycle could be interrupted. The battery was fully charged before I started shooting. Initially I thought maybe it was left on by accident and that it was low on power, but the next day, the same thing happened and under exactly the same circumstances. The 1st 30 shots or so were fine and than the camera just kept turning itself on and off. This time the cycle could not be broken by pressing the menu button.
The firewire cable works fine and the flash sync cable also worked fine when I tethered the camera to my laptop. I am lost as to what the problem could be.
Any help would be appreciated as I ended up have to carry around a ton of gear

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
As far as I understand, yes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up