Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combining two Raw images for incres=ased IQ  (Read 4165 times)

scott morrish

Combining two Raw images for incres=ased IQ
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:53:20 am »

Hi,

Having learnt a little bit about 'Zero Noise' today (a PC only piece of software that combines two or more images to increase the usable tonal range and/or to reduce noise in high contrast scenes), i wonder if there is any software out there that employs the same simple approach for use on a mac? Working on raw data, especially within Lightroom would be a dream... but is it possible yet?

Regards,
Scott

scott morrish

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:31:43 am »

Sorry about the typo in the title! My fingers got carried away!

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:00:49 am »

You could get an eye on the LR/Enfuse plugin... based more or less on the same principles as ZeroNoise.
Of course it breaks the LR raw workflow.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

scott morrish

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:56:25 am »

Quote from: NikoJorj
You could get an eye on the LR/Enfuse plugin... based more or less on the same principles as ZeroNoise.
Of course it breaks the LR raw workflow.

Thanks Nicolas,

Just taken a quick look at the website, and I will have a go at that today i hope. Do you happen to know if it takes the same simple approach as Zero Noise, i.e. keeping the best pixels, rather than merging all the pixels from both files? I am looking for 'realistic' rather than the 'CGI' look. Hope this simple facility gets added to Lightroom soon.

Thank you,
Scott

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:18:56 am »

Quote from: scott morrish
Do you happen to know if it takes the same simple approach as Zero Noise, i.e. keeping the best pixels, rather than merging all the pixels from both files?
Yes it does, as far as I know.
More on this on the enfuse website...
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

scott morrish

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:26:21 am »

I have taken a look at both enfuse and photomatix now. The results of both programs are not quite what i am looking for yet... although i realise i need to experiment more before i can rule out user error!  In the meantime, does anyone have a quick way of using either program (or any other that will work on a mac?) to simply extend usable detail further into highlight and low light areas whilst minimising noise? Maintaining real tonal relationships and preservation of detail are paramount.

From what i have read, Zero noise (PC only) looks like the best approach, being both simple and logical. If its principles could be applied to two raw files, especially if this could be done within lightroom, extreme contrast would be much easier to deal with.  My biggest problem with high contrast in landscapes, when trying to deal with these issues, is movement: rivers, clouds and trees just wont sit still for me!

markhout

• http://www.markhout.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 04:33:49 pm »

Quote from: scott morrish
In the meantime, does anyone have a quick way of using either program (or any other that will work on a mac?) to simply extend usable detail further into highlight and low light areas whilst minimising noise? Maintaining real tonal relationships and preservation of detail are paramount.
Took up the challenge with a rather mediocre image - this one is from 5 raw files (-2, -1, 0, 1, 2) - in Enfuse through Lightroom. Wanted to try Martin Evening's grayscale mixer as well. Also see here.

Farkled

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:27:51 pm »

Take a look at PhotoAcute - much touted by the Outback Photo folks.

http://www.photoacute.com/index.html

andyptak

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:44:37 am »

I read the "Zero Noise" thread too and for the life of me I can't figure out how to download anything! I went to the developer's site as well and couldn't find anything there either - lots of info, but no "Download Here" button. Can anyone point me to the right place please? Thanks.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield

andyptak

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 01:25:19 pm »

Thanks for the link. I don't read Spanish, but presumed that Donar meant Donate, and that took me to a Paypal option. The sum is blank, so is this a "Shareware Donation" type of thing and he emails back a Link for downloading? Thanks.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 02:00:30 pm »

No, the download was there (top right).  (DESCARGAR ACTUALIZACIÓN V1.04)  No need to donate.  I too have not been able to get past versions to work adequately, but once it's working OK (for me) I'll happily donate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up