Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing new video card, do I have to recalibrate monitor?  (Read 6662 times)

John Schweikert

Installing new video card, do I have to recalibrate monitor?
« on: March 31, 2009, 12:21:46 pm »

---
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:53:39 pm by John-S »

vjbelle

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:31:13 pm »

Quote from: John Schweikert
I am upgrading the video card in my G5 in hopes of being able to run actual video with the larger ram on the card. Installing today.

So does the new video card change anything that requires me to recalibrate my monitor? Is there something that changes in the LUT or something else.

Just curious, no big deal if it is required, but would like to hear from someone smarter.
That's an interesting question and I am no expert here but I would definitely recalibrate and create a new icc profile.  I calibrate routinely - maybe every two or three weeks.  I don't change the icc profile but use the settings that created the profile in PM 5 to bring my monitors back to original spec.

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:52:44 pm »

Quote from: John Schweikert
I am upgrading the video card in my G5 in hopes of being able to run actual video with the larger ram on the card. Installing today.

So does the new video card change anything that requires me to recalibrate my monitor? Is there something that changes in the LUT or something else.

Just curious, no big deal if it is required, but would like to hear from someone smarter.

As far as I can figure it, there are two calibration/profiling paradigms that we use (excluding Adobe Gamma or other "profile by eyeball" techniques).

With monitors that are calibrated/profiled by addressing the LUT in the monitor itself (such as the NEC monitors with SpectraViewII software)  the video card in the computer is bypassed.  However, I would check to make sure that the new video card is not set to influence color management.

The other paradigm concerns profiling/calibration software that changes the LUT of the video card.

In both these cases, though, it would seem reasonable to recalibrate/reprofile the monitor anyway, as it should be done periodically and takes just a few minutes.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:32:03 pm »

If the connection between monitor and video card is digital, changing the video card will have no more effect on the image than copying the file to a different hard drive. But if the connection is analog, you'll definitely want to recalibrate.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:04:27 am »

Digital/analogue- either way changing the card or even just driver versions - you should recalibrate.  I do so every time I make such a change and there are always subtle changes to be made - sometimes just 1-2 RGB ticks, but it's there.  Going to a different card especially - there are always changes.  GPU make/type, manufacturer design differences, etc. - all change the output slightly, even batch to batch.  Yes the data can be delivered digitally, but it's not processed all the same before it gets to the monitor.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 11:40:37 am »

A monitor changes or drifts pretty regularly without changing anything anyway, so it is a good practice to re profile every few weeks regardless...  So I'd definitely re-profile if I changed my video card.

Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up