Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop spooler error  (Read 1640 times)

sniper

Photoshop spooler error
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:41:53 am »

I'm running CS4 on WinXP and everytime I try to start CS4 I get a spooler app error and photoshop then puts up "photshop has encountered a problem and needs to close" error message, any ideas how to fix it? I tried starting the spooler manually but it closes again.    Wayne

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Photoshop spooler error
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:51:47 pm »

Wayne:  Just PS?

Something is bringing down the spooler service - without it, Windows, nor applications can enumerate available printers.  

Start | Run | eventvwr.exe

Look at the system log ....specifically for a 1068 RPC failure...

If you see it - it's likely a print driver issue.  If HP - goto their site and download their uninstaller utility - does a great job of cleaning leftover bits out.  If not HP  Google "1068 error" for your specific printer ....

hope this helps . . .

edit:  I remembered running into this issue in a differnet situation some time back - try this at a command prompt:

sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

Note that there is a space between the = and RPCSS.  This will reset the dependency of the Spooler service to *only* the Remote Procedure Call Service - this should stop the Spooler crash, but *might* require a printer driver re-install ....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:26:08 am by Joh.Murray »

sniper

Photoshop spooler error
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:34:36 am »

Thanks for the reply John, I can't see a 1068 anywhere but theres lots of 7023 and other 7 series numbers with error by them.  CS4 is the only thing (other than my printer) that I have noticed a problem with, couriously CS3 still works but gives a windows spooler sub system application error warning when starting up, I do have a HP printer on this computer, should I try the command line prompt? I am happy to reinstall the printer.
I had a problem getting it to boot up today, it just went to a black screen and stayed there, it took several attempts to get it going, time for a reformat? or something more serious do you think.
 Thanks again  wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up