Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wacom on 23" monitor  (Read 3254 times)

Mike W

wacom on 23" monitor
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:02:02 am »

Hi everyone,

I just asked my boss to buy a wacom Intos 4 for work. (I'm a graphic designer, btw)

I've got an old A6 sized tablet now, and I'm wondering if the Intuos 4 medium ( active area: 23.5 x 139.7 mm ,8.8 x 5.5 in) is big enough for work on a 24" monitor?
 The medium is roughly the same size as the older intuos 3 A5.

With the smaller A6 version I keep "bumping" into the inactive area on the 23".

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

regards,

Mike

walter.sk

wacom on 23" monitor
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:09:34 am »

Quote from: Mike W
Hi everyone,

I just asked my boss to buy a wacom Intos 4 for work. (I'm a graphic designer, btw)

I've got an old A6 sized tablet now, and I'm wondering if the Intuos 4 medium ( active area: 23.5 x 139.7 mm ,8.8 x 5.5 in) is big enough for work on a 24" monitor?
 The medium is roughly the same size as the older intuos 3 A5.

With the smaller A6 version I keep "bumping" into the inactive area on the 23".

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

regards,

Mike
I have been using an Intuous III 6"x11" tablet with a 30" wide screen monitor and find it works well.  I wondered, when I saw the Intuous IV sizes, why they did away with the extra wide format.  On the other hand, it has always been possible to remap the tablet to the monitor, so unless you will be drawing circles and squares, it should not matter.

My previous tablet was a 12"x12" which was great in theory and not so wonderful for me in practice.  First of all it was so big that I had to use it extending from my lap, resting at about 45 degrees over the desktop and covering the keyboard which was on a sliding shelf lower than the desktop.

In addition, the arm movements needed were so large that when using a program such as Corel Painter to turn photographs into "paintings" took so many strokes over such a great area of real estate that I sold it and got the 6"x11" tablet as a replacement.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:15:09 am by walter.sk »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
wacom on 23" monitor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 12:49:29 pm »

I have the smallest tablet and only use part of the area [>50% mapped down] for use on a large desktop spread across two monitors. That way I could use my hand and minimal arm movement to control cursor. Larger tablet areas will be much better for drawing/painting movements, but for cursor control I find it too slow and clumsy to use anything bar a fraction of the area. I started with an A3, swapped immeadiatey for an A4 and then ended up with an A5 travel version and even then used just part of the area available.
And tablet reduced RSI issues too.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

martijn

wacom on 23" monitor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:53:58 pm »

Hi Mike,

I just got mine today-upgrading from an A6 Artpad...this is a whole new ballgame! If your boss needs some persuasion, you can tell him your productivity will go way up once you have set up and started using those expresskeys and touchring! Zooming and panning and resizing brushes become so much faster and more convenient to to...you can set everything up seperately for each app.

The driver has ample options for mapping the screen-by default the screen is mapped to the active surface entirely, but you can remap the screen to a smaller portion of the tablet-which you will probably want to do unless you're used to making large sweeping expressionist movements (not likely on your old A6 ;-) )-and the high resolution of the tablet (much higher than that of the monitor) allows plenty of precision even if you do remap to a small portion. There is an option for preserving proportions.

Tip: have a look at the driver defaults, even though the pen has 2048 pressure levels it's set at 1024 by default for compatibility with older apps.
I've set up the one of the two functions of the rocker switch on my pen for locking the pressure for when I want to draw lines that are uniform in width.

It's a wonderful piece of kit.

Have fun!
Martijn
Pages: [1]   Go Up