Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you had £5000  (Read 11793 times)

Plekto

If you had £5000
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 05:18:58 pm »

Quote from: yaya
A lamborgini is an Audi, which is a VW, which in actual fact...is a Porsche...this, I think, puts the car analogy more into perspective....
Heh.  Yeah, I know... It's all a tangled mess who owns what anymore.  But with the R8, there's just no reason to spend $250K on the least expensive Ferrari anymore.  25MP DBs are in a similar situation.   While they were plodding along on their own little path, the big companies came roaring up behind them looking to run them over.

What bothers me, is that cameras, at least for pros, should be looked at as Volvo trucks Vs DAF trucks, meaning tools for work and not toys for carrying golf clubs on the weekend....

And anyway even the R8 has 2 wheels too many.....
For most of the industry, I suspect that this is exactly true.  Whatever gets the job done the quickest and for the least money.  But most of them also don't spend time online in forums like this, either.

On bikes?
Yeah - I love Moto Guzzi myself.  Triumph is a close second.  No bike currently, though, as it's insane to ride one in Southern California.  My 4x4 barely keeps me alive down here...

Carsten W

If you had £5000
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 05:46:05 pm »

Quote from: Plekto
On bikes?

Yeah - I love Moto Guzzi myself.  Triumph is a close second.  No bike currently, though, as it's insane to ride one in Southern California.  My 4x4 barely keeps me alive down here...

Ah, Moto Guzzi! I love those bikes. An old 750S or V7 Sport, or the Le Mans Mark I or III, sigh. I love the fact that blipping the throttle causes a length-wise torque reaction. I would love tinkering with a bike like that. No electronics to speak of, just the bare minimum to make it (almost) civilized. A bit like a Leica M6, or even better: a Hasselblad V.

Now, old British bikes I have split opinions about. I don't mind quirkiness, but recalcitrance is pushing it too far, and lighting by the prince of darkness is not my cup of tea. And those weird tool sizes! I still have a set somewhere, having worked on a friend's old Triumph 500. Or do you mean Kawa-Triumphs?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:49:01 pm by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
If you had £5000
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 07:50:43 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
Ah, Moto Guzzi! I love those bikes. An old 750S or V7 Sport, or the Le Mans Mark I or III, sigh. I love the fact that blipping the throttle causes a length-wise torque reaction. I would love tinkering with a bike like that. No electronics to speak of, just the bare minimum to make it (almost) civilized. A bit like a Leica M6, or even better: a Hasselblad V.

Now, old British bikes I have split opinions about. I don't mind quirkiness, but recalcitrance is pushing it too far, and lighting by the prince of darkness is not my cup of tea. And those weird tool sizes! I still have a set somewhere, having worked on a friend's old Triumph 500. Or do you mean Kawa-Triumphs?
This discussion brings back fond memories of my one-time 500cc single cylinder Norton beast. Noisy and unreliable, but great fun to live dangerously on. By contrast, my BMW R26, a bit later,  was undoubtedly the most reliable, well-built motor vehicle I have ever owned. No Whitworth tools needed (back then you could buy American, Whitworth, and Metric socket sets at Sears.)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Plekto

If you had £5000
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2009, 08:00:44 pm »

Quote from: carstenw

The new ones, actually.  Modern re-creations of the originals without the major ills.  The Triumph America is a stunning cruiser, for instance - go figure.  I'd rather have it than anything other than maybe a Sportster(bit of a toss-up, actually).   But it just doesn't have to true classic counter-culture feel of a Guzzi.  

Oh - my top pick if they would bring it over to the U.S. would be the new Guzzi V7 Classic.  Shaft drive, fuel injection(!), good gauges, a nice V-twin, and great to look at.  

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/Motorcyc...V7-Classic.aspx
It's the perfect daily ride that nobody's heard of - and dead-simple reliable as well. Others are getting into the retro look and feel, but this is the real deal.  IF you ever wanted an old classic Honda or Triumph or similar 70s era bike but wanted modern electricals, parts that could be found, decent brakes, and not deadly suspension, here you go

One thing - black.  definitely black.

Anyways - back to cameras.. heh.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up