Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold lamination, glossy papers?  (Read 6285 times)

Mulis Pictus

• http://mulispictus.cz
Cold lamination, glossy papers?
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:40:45 pm »

Hi,

I am thinking about getting cold laminator, probably JetMounter JM26, and I wonder whether it makes sense to laminate glossy papers like EPSON Premium Luster, Semimatte or Premium Glossy. Compared to always using matte papers when they are going to be laminated. So far I used liquid lamination on matte canvas, where when I need glossy look, I use a glossy varnish and the result seems to be equivalent to glossy canvas.

So my idea is that I will use matte paper and choose which laminating film to use to get glossy, satin or matte finish.

What I am not sure is whether for example laminated Premium Luster will still have deeper blacks (higher dmax) compared to laminated matte paper? Any other differences?

Also, would lamination help with slowing OBA's degradation?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Mulis

tomm101

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 02:23:48 pm »

Laminating any paper with a rough surface can be a problem. It is hard for the film to adhere in the crevasses of the paper. A flat matte paper works best. I used to laminate Epson Double Weight Matte and Archival Matte. You can get the surface you want from the laminate. Glossy paper can give you air bubbles very easily.
If you are having problems with bronzing try to get a better profile, I always found less bronzing with the better profiles on my Canon printer.

Tom

Mulis Pictus

• http://mulispictus.cz
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:03:45 pm »

Thanks for your answer.

Quote from: tomm101
Laminating any paper with a rough surface can be a problem. It is hard for the film to adhere in the crevasses of the paper. A flat matte paper works best. I used to laminate Epson Double Weight Matte and Archival Matte. You can get the surface you want from the laminate. Glossy paper can give you air bubbles very easily.
Do you think that this is caused by out gassing, ie. not completely dried print?

Quote from: tomm101
If you are having problems with bronzing try to get a better profile, I always found less bronzing with the better profiles on my Canon printer.
I am considering it more for protecting the prints for customers who don't like hanging completely unprotected prints on the wall. Another thing I am planning to try is spraying glamour II with HLVP system, like Fuji, described in another thread by bill t. That will only work for matte prints though.

tomm101

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:16:57 pm »

Quote from: Mulis Pictus
Thanks for your answer.

Do you think that this is caused by out gassing, ie. not completely dried print?

With luster papers it is the rough surface that the laminate just can't conform to, a lot of success comes from having a good laminator that can feed out the laminate evenly and give even pressure. With glossy I think it is less than even pressure my Diage laminator gave, but never had problems with a flat matte surface. I have used mostly vinyl laminates.

I am considering it more for protecting the prints for customers who don't like hanging completely unprotected prints on the wall. Another thing I am planning to try is spraying glamour II with HLVP system, like Fuji, described in another thread by bill t. That will only work for matte prints though.

I use an HPLV system, Porter Cable, worked very well. This is how I would work, you can do light sprays on luster or gloss paper. Several coats will alter a finish which may or may not be desirable.
The thing I don't like about laminates is that they alter the surface of the paper, change it to what the laminate is. This is another reason I prefer to use matte paper. Just don't see the point of buying say Harman Gloss Ai and then sticking a laminate on it. Part of the decision I have when making a print is what surface to use.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up