Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Used Epson Semi-Matte Paper?  (Read 2070 times)

JimGoshorn

Anyone Used Epson Semi-Matte Paper?
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:51:30 am »

I was wondering how images look when printed on Epson Semi-Matte paper. Does it have a softer tonal scale similar to matte paper but with better blacks or is it more like Premium Luster with a semi-matte finish? I also haven't seen any info on wether or not it has optical brighteners. Since it only seems to come in 100 foot rolls it's a bit expensive just to try out.

Thanks!

Jim

jashley

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:34:38 pm »

Quote from: JimGoshorn
I was wondering how images look when printed on Epson Semi-Matte paper. Does it have a softer tonal scale similar to matte paper but with better blacks or is it more like Premium Luster with a semi-matte finish? I also haven't seen any info on wether or not it has optical brighteners. Since it only seems to come in 100 foot rolls it's a bit expensive just to try out.

Thanks!

Jim

More like PL but somewhat less blue.  A very nice paper really--used to print with it a lot until the baryta's came out.

I believe Bill Atkinson used it exclusively for a while.

Paul Eby

• http://www.digitalokpphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:44:10 am »

Quote from: JimGoshorn

Thanks!

Jim

While using our 7600 I used it almost exclusively as it did the best job of reducing the 3D/bronzing effect. Also had less curl than the luster and glossy papers. I have some cut sheets I'd be willing to send if you like? - Paul

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 10:26:22 am »

Actually one of their better papers. No stipple like Luster, great for proofing. Now that I own a Canon iPF6100, when I have time, I'll profile the Epson Semi-matte for use on that printer as well -- it's bound to be better than my old Epson 4000 (which tends to gather dust these days). That said, I wouldn't use it for "fine art prints", but it's good for "everyday" kind of use and proofing.

JimGoshorn

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:20:09 pm »

Quote from: nemophoto
Actually one of their better papers. No stipple like Luster, great for proofing. Now that I own a Canon iPF6100, when I have time, I'll profile the Epson Semi-matte for use on that printer as well -- it's bound to be better than my old Epson 4000 (which tends to gather dust these days). That said, I wouldn't use it for "fine art prints", but it's good for "everyday" kind of use and proofing.

What I was hoping for was something between matte and luster which I guess doesn't exist. I like the softer tonal range of matte paper but wish it had just a little better d-max. Maybe Epson's new Hot Press paper will be closer to what I would like.

Thanks Paul for the offer though!

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up