Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new IMAC  (Read 3004 times)

mattpallante

new IMAC
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:41:15 am »

So, I'm thinking of the new 24inch IMAC. My old machine is 2.33 ghz and limited to 3 ghz ram. It's also a 20 inch, which is a little small. I was thinking of the 3.06 ghz, 24inch machine, which comes with 4ghz ram. Apple wants $1000 for that extra 4ghz of ram, to max it out at 8ghz. I have heard you can't get third party ram for this machine yet. Is this true, and does anyone have any idea when 3rd party ram might be available? I would be willing to wait a while for cheaper ram, and who do you think might be first out with the DDR3 ram for the second 4ghz for this machine? Thanks for any help, Matt.

francois

new IMAC
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:44:00 am »

Quote from: mattpallante
So, I'm thinking of the new 24inch IMAC. My old machine is 2.33 ghz and limited to 3 ghz ram. It's also a 20 inch, which is a little small. I was thinking of the 3.06 ghz, 24inch machine, which comes with 4ghz ram. Apple wants $1000 for that extra 4ghz of ram, to max it out at 8ghz. I have heard you can't get third party ram for this machine yet. Is this true, and does anyone have any idea when 3rd party ram might be available? I would be willing to wait a while for cheaper ram, and who do you think might be first out with the DDR3 ram for the second 4ghz for this machine? Thanks for any help, Matt.
Have a look at Macsales.com. They offer a 4GB DDR3 module for $370. I've always found their service to be friendly and fast.

iMac DDR3 RAM: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/DDR3_2009
Francois

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
new IMAC
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:48:09 am »

I just did a quick google and found that its available for around $350-400 per 4gb chip. Not cheap but its out there.
r

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
new IMAC
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:48:40 am »

I just did a quick google and found that its available for around $350-400 per 4gb chip. Not cheap but its out there.
r

Bob Peterson

• http://www.pbase.com/rwzeitgeist/
new IMAC
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:27:15 pm »

Quote from: mattpallante
The Diglloyd blog offers some insight into Mac RAM, and points to OCW as a source of 4GB modules for the new Macs.  The OCW memory does have a caveat: All installed modules must be OCW's, i.e., mixing Apple and OCW modules apparently doesn't work. The upside: OCW sells the modules for about $250/4GB module, a lot less than Apple is asking.

Bob

francois

new IMAC
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 12:44:52 pm »

Quote from: rwzeitgeist
The Diglloyd blog offers some insight into Mac RAM, and points to OCW as a source of 4GB modules for the new Macs.  The OCW memory does have a caveat: All installed modules must be OCW's, i.e., mixing Apple and OCW modules apparently doesn't work. The upside: OCW sells the modules for about $250/4GB module, a lot less than Apple is asking.

Bob
Bob,
The article you mention is about Mac Pro memory… OWC (aka MacSales) sells the 4GB RAM module for 2009 iMac at $369. I haven't read anything that says that you can't combine OWC memory with Apple's (on iMacs). OWC has a great customer support and will undoubtedly point out any incompatibility between their product and OEM RAM.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:47:31 pm by francois »
Francois

mattpallante

new IMAC
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 06:29:16 pm »

Thanks for the info.

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up