Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Canon DSLR?  (Read 8455 times)

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 12:06:31 pm »

Jonathan – cute!

And correct. ::

Michael

howard smith

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 12:43:13 pm »

Mark Felt (a.k.a. Deep Throat) knew some stuf fthe general public didn't know and that perhaps he should have kept to himself, but didn't.  Maybe he got his nickname because he was talking out his rectum.

Industrial espionage is alive and well, and a "leak" may be good for business.  How naive can one be to think Nikon is clueless about Canon's secrets?  If Nikon can find out, why not someone else?

Gary Ferguson

• http://
New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2005, 10:36:37 am »

Well, that was a rather rude comment!

Don't take it that way, that wasn't the sentiment.

But here's the thing. Comments about Mamiya's financial security (which is a very different thing from comments about divisional underperformance) is considered legitimate journalism. Comments about a replacement for the 20D (a banker's bet, the only question is the "what" and the "when") is dismissed as idle specualtion.

How's that work?

duranash

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 05:52:52 pm »

"Most amateur photographers, and not a few pros, are working on a budget that precludes frequent upgrades."

Amen.  I can only afford one DSLR in the relative near future (and given my age, most likely my only one).  I am still shooting film and scanning and just bought a Canon A95 digital P&S to play with on vacation.  I'm thinking I'd like to transition to a DSLR within the next year and would hope to get the most bang for my buck.  So I keep reading these "pointless" discussions.

joedevico

• http://www.photographicdesigngroup.com
New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 09:47:13 am »

Boku - and all...

Although I agree (in this case with Jonathan) that speculation is not necessarily going to help anyone. I read Michael's first response as a sublte acknoledgement of the original post's information. Of course - I could be wrong. That's the problem with the internet or any text based information. If often loses it's implied meaning without being to hear the inflection provided by the writer's own voice.

I for one just upgraded to a 20D and RebelXT a few months ago and was happily rewarded with the $100 rebate that was made available the day after my purchase. I don't care about what upgrades Canon has in mind for two reasons.

I don't make the majority of my money from photography, therefore I don't need the latest and greatest equiptment. Just stuff that lets me make great images. If I did I'd have no real problem staying close to the cutting edge of gear and would have a suitable budget for a smart upgrade path, not just buying the next "best" thing. I've had a D30 and Elan7 since December of 2001. I've made many 12x18 prints from my old D30 that still look great. Not as good as scanned 35mm, but at a fraction of the cost. The 20D and RebelXT combined were less than the original D30 alone. Forget about film costs. I guess my point is that if you really "need" the resolution of the unrealeased camera which will of course be here at some point. Then you certainly have the cash to go out and get something right now that will do the job. The problem is that so many people "want" stuff they don't really "need."

I "want" a 1DsII - but will never make a print large enough to justify the resolution of the camera - nor spend the money on the required accessories to make the camera really shine. I upgraded only because I now have the flexability to crop more and get equal or better resolution than the D30 could ever give me. If it weren't for that and better autofocus/shooting speed - I'd still be happy shooting with the D30. That camera made me fall in love with shooting all over again.

I don't know why I wrote all that - but whenever I see people getting concerned over the next release of a camera - It makes me think that they are either gear crazy or living beyond their means. I mean no offense to anyone - I've just gotten past all that in my life. I used to be exactly the same way.
Joe DeVico
the PhotoGraphic Design Group

lester_wareham

• http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/
New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 06:17:46 am »

There will be a new camera soon like any other modern electronic product.

If you constantly try and second guess you will end up never getting anything. Or make oneself neurotic when you do when the camera is no longer the latest model. The lens and the photographer's method and vision are probably the limiting factors from now on.

My approach was to jump in when certain minimum criteria were met. I will upgrade when I think there is a significant delta in performance or an obsolescence issue (wife permitting!)

I use this strategy with computers. It is probably even more valid for DSLRs.

jani

• Øyet
New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 05:57:30 pm »

So was the original poster privy to a leak?
The OP was privy to one part of a well-placed marketing campaign from Canon, which we've all participated in. We should charge royalties.

We've had this at least two times before already, with the 350D and the 20D. Very droll.
Jan

Big Bird

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2005, 01:13:46 pm »

I have to believe that these "leaks" are deliberate marketing ideas. There never seem to be "leaks" when a model is a long time from release, just when it is a few months away(at best). I think it is done to generate excitement about a release, and possibly so that the manufacturer can get feedback about what their customers desire or do not desire before they have committed themselves with a product release and specs.
The amount of anger and lack of civility that rumours generate continues to surprise. I am following several different threads in different forums, and almost without exception people get insulted at some point because they dare to post what their "sources" have told them. All rumours are just that, unsubstantiated, but as we have seen in the past. "Some" of the information IS correct that we have heard, we just don't know for sure which part. Kind of like the JFK asassination, there are many theories, and we most certainly have the truth in front of us, but we have no way of knowing what the true parts are.
For me , give me a MII "N" that does 12.8MP at 8fps, FF or not, and I will have to cash in an RSP!  :D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up