Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Canon DSLR?  (Read 8458 times)

heavysigh

New Canon DSLR?
« on: June 30, 2005, 05:49:03 pm »

Yes, because as we all know, people always keep secrets. And speculation is always pointless. And whatever happened to fun?

Gary Ferguson

• http://
New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 07:55:46 am »

This is pointless.

No it's not.

Most amateur photographers, and not a few pros, are working on a budget that precludes frequent upgrades. With meaningful product improvements coming thick and fast picking the timing of a digital purchase will remain an issue for some years yet.

With medium format it's worse, not only the model timing but the manufacturer choice is an issue, witness Michael's speculation about Mamiya's financial position...is he talking out of his rectum too?

heavysigh

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 07:41:22 pm »

Michael,
    Funny I never found Jonathan's phrase acceptable nor did I find your endorsement of "Cute". I simply reported what I heard from a reputable photographer on a new Canon camera. I found Jonathan's response rude but not surprising while your's was both rude and surprising.
    I guess what you are saying is that if you speculate on something and provide details to possibly support your hypothesis than that hypothesis is sound.
    But if an infrequent poster (but NOT an infrequent reader) does the same thing, then that hypothesis is deserving of derision.
    Sounds like the old schoolyard "It's my ball and I'm going home". Well, now that I know the rules, I'll make sure to abide by them.

Thanks(?),
heavysigh.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 07:07:50 pm »

Folks, I'm going to go out on a limb here...

If Canon has anything in the works, there is a chance beta testers are aware. Michael is priveledged and trusted to be a Canon beta tester. He is providing you with bandwidth to have this discourse. Canon is aware of that. Even though he is not violating non-disclosure personally, this is making him look bad in the eyes of Canon. They may want this banter, but they may also not want it. He already hinted that its time to give it a rest. Give the guy a break already.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Rob Whitehead

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 10:25:40 am »

Speculation has been rampant about a "digital EOS 3" ever since the 1D was introduced, and so far it has been nothing but talk. Such a camera is inconsistent with Canon's stated intentions regarding DSLR development and production, at least until the 1- series (1Ds and 1D mark whatever) is combined into a single high-speed, high resolution model. Until that happens, the introduction of a model between the 1D-MkII and the 20D is highly unlikely.
Just rereading this thread again - had to laught at this piece of speculation in view of the earlier comments, and the now not very well kept secret of the imminent release of the 5D.

???
Carpe lucem

charles354

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 12:56:41 pm »

My take on this is the 1DMKIIN will be a 12+ meg full chip for $3900.00-4000.00. The 5D will be a 8+meg 1.6 crop body aimed at the Wedding Photogs for $3200.00.
We will see Monday Thanks charles354

heavysigh

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 04:42:38 am »

Okay, first off, please don't kill the messanger.

I was at a convention in San Francisco today and I spoke to a photographer covering the event. This guy was the real deal; I saw his legimate press pass and creditentials.  He was shooting with two Canon 1d Mark IIs which got my attention. I've never shot one before and so I started asking him some questions about the 1d MII.
Eventually, he asked me what I shoot and I told him that I shot a D60 and an 20D. The photographer told me that he was recently speaking to a "Canon R&D guy I know in Europe." The guy works for Canon and told him that Canon's new Autumn DSLR will be a 12 Megapixel camera called the D40. It will be the newest camera in the line of D30, D60, 10D and 20D.
The sensor will "more than likely be larger, along the lines of the 1D MII size." (This would make 12 Meg more feasible)

The photographer proceeded to tell me that Canon always comes out with a rebate on the current model just before they announce the new model. SOP for them. This is to help move a large amount of bodies since people hold off purchasing the current model if a new one is going to be available soon. (And there is $100 rebate on the 20D right now)

Here's the announcement history of Canon DSLRs:

D30 - announced May 17 2000
D60 - announced February 22 2002
10D - announced February 27 2003
20D - announced August 19 2004

You'll note that Canon has announced a new DSLR in this line every year. The only exception was the two years between the D30 and D60. However, the D30 was Canon's first and only DSLR and Canon did come out with the 1D on September 25 2001.

Now, we all know that until Canon makes an announcement, this is simply speculation. But I did have this conversation this afternoon and even if it does eventually proof false, I was very geeked all the way home today.

Anybody else heard any rumours or leaks? Maybe someone who has contact(s) at Canon? Maybe someone whose intials may be M.R.? Even a "No comment" comment?

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 08:56:27 am »

Well, that was a rather rude comment!

If you doubt my observations about Mamiya's financial situation you might ask for its basis rather that thowing gartuitous jibes.

But, so that you can decide if there's anyhting behind it (so to speak), here is what is well known in the industry...

During the past two major trade shows Mamiya's "bankers" have been talking to industry insiders about their impressions of the future of medium format. Indeed Mamiya was a no-show at a major recent trade show, after having reserved a large display area.

I also have spoken directly with someone who has seen their recent financial statements and who has expressed concerns about the companies long-term viability.

Mamiya has another major segment of their business which involves bank note scanners, and which is doing very well. But, the camera business is a drain and has been doing poorly for the past couple of years as analog equipment sales decline and high end 35mm DSLRs (read Canon 1Ds series) take over many aspects of professional photography previously the domain of medium format, where Mamiya had decent market share.

So there you have it. Talk to photographic retailers who can't get inventory, with little or no explanation of why.

Make your own determinations (including visiting with these retailers and VARs and finding out what they think – as I have), but save the rudeness for somewhere else where it's better tolerated, not here.

Michael

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 12:01:43 pm »

Gary,

I'm sorry, but I can't recall ever commenting on the topic of the next Canon camera as "idle specualtion". I've never commented on this at all.

Bob – yes, there's no place here for rudeness. The standard that I hope for, and try and enforce, is the same as would be found if we were all sitting around in someones living room discussing these topics in person. The name calling and nastyness such that one finds on other forums simply isn't welcome here.

I have no problem with heated debate.

And yes, I found Johnathan's use of the phase acceptable, while I found Gary's not, simply because one was a generalized comment and the other was aimed at an individual, in this case me.

I may have overreacted thiough, and if so I appologize. Now that I re-read the entire thread I see that Gary likely wasn't intending to be rude toward me but was echoing an earlier comment. Mea culpa.

Michael

Andrew Larkin

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 06:50:14 pm »

Getting back to the original post, I too have received rumours about something significant happening from Canon in the second half of the year.

While anything that is from a mate-of-a-mate-of-a-mate-who-knows-someone-at-canon is hardly quality speculation, I am keen to see what develops as I am feeling the need for an upgrade - been hittings some limits in the 10D for about the last six months (mostly to do with buffer size and/or card write speed).

What is slightly interesting is the way that the Canon model numbers are going.  Since the first EOS models were released (650, 620), the lower number has always been the high-spec device.  Seems that with the digitals, Canon is going the opposite way: D60 beats D30, 20D beats 10D, 350D beats 300D, 1DS trumps them all.

What would a 5D or a 3D model do?

Andrew

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 01:55:19 pm »

If the 5D is real, that could be an indication that the unified 1-series body (high speed + high resolution) is almost ready for prime-time as well, which would continue Canon's stated 3-tier approach to the DSLR market. Time will tell.

Multicoated

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 05:57:32 pm »

Andrew Larkin asked:
What would a 5D or a 3D model do?

The 5D adds 5 channel surround sound, using a microphone on each top corner of the body, with the center channel mic hidden in the Canon "o". This will enable enjoying "Sounds of Nature" while reviewing your shots on your home theater/AV convergence system.

The 3D takes two identical shots in quick succession, applying a green filter to the first and a red filter to the second. New Canon software will automatically place these two pictures in horizontal juxtaposition for viewing on the aforementioned convergence system. Cardboard glasses are a necessary option, and approved models containing Genuine Canon Lenses will be made available, at modest extra cost.

Speculating with the brain idling...

Jonathan Wienke

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 10:41:14 am »

This is pointless. Anyone who knows what's really happening is not going to confirm or deny anything due to NDA constraints, meaning that anyone willing to discuss this is by definition talking out of their rectum.

Jonathan Wienke

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 12:32:26 am »

Jonathan – cute!

And correct. ::
I thought you'd appreciate that one.

Bobtrips

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 10:41:05 am »

"but save the rudeness for somewhere else where it's better tolerated, not here.

Michael"

I assume that comment applies to all the posters who made wandered across the line of civility?  

Including the one who you thought "cute".

pcg

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 03:32:58 pm »

I think "heavysigh"s initial post remains interesting. Too bad the discussion devolved into name calling. Discussions about future releases are important, & most of us are wise enough to know that much of the discussion is speculative.

I, for one, love the idea of a "40D" 12'er. Bring it on, Canon!

Jonathan Wienke

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 01:48:52 pm »

Speculation has been rampant about a "digital EOS 3" ever since the 1D was introduced, and so far it has been nothing but talk. Such a camera is inconsistent with Canon's stated intentions regarding DSLR development and production, at least until the 1- series (1Ds and 1D mark whatever) is combined into a single high-speed, high resolution model. Until that happens, the introduction of a model between the 1D-MkII and the 20D is highly unlikely.

Barry Prager

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 03:49:10 am »

Canon, shmanon, where's my Nikon D200!

Tony Collins

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 05:07:31 pm »

So was the original poster privy to a leak?
Accusations of rectovocalisation to be withdrawn with humble apologies Jonathan? (after the official release anouncement of course)

Tony Collins

Jonathan Wienke

New Canon DSLR?
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 09:00:55 pm »

So was the original poster privy to a leak?
Accusations of rectovocalisation to be withdrawn with humble apologies Jonathan? (after the official release anouncement of course)

Tony Collins
The only thing the rumor got right (possibly) was the megapixel count. The leaked PDF indicates full-frame "5D" and the rumor claimed a 1.3X "4D". The alleged 5D is closer in size to the 20D than the 1D-MkII size claimed of the "4D" rumor. If the guy did have inside information, then he most certainly violated an NDA by disseminating such information, which mean's it's highly unlikely he'll ever be offered the opportunity to sign another. The vast majority of those who claim "inside knowledge" while prematurely disseminating details are talking out of their rectum for that reason. On the other hand, given that only the megapixel count is approximately right and the other details were wrong, it could simply be a "even a broken clock is right twice a day" lucky guess. One out of four ain't bad. We'll see tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up