Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac pro 3.0 vrs 2.66 Quad?  (Read 2126 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Mac pro 3.0 vrs 2.66 Quad?
« on: March 29, 2009, 03:49:05 am »

This is a question about what to buy. Both are Intel machines
Mac Pro 3.0 Quad 6 gb ram  $3000.00 AUD
Mac Pro 2.66 Quad 3 gb ram $4090.00 AUD EX GST new one

Now I have heard that Photoshop works in a single CPU so is the 3.0 machine faster? I am not concerned about the HDs in the machine & I think the Mac Pro 3.0 comes with a 1.5 TB but is used. We need to step up to the Intel Macs. The new Macs have dropped FW 400 for 800 which I could care less as really USB 3.0 is coming & I think FW 400 & 800 won't be around much longer anyhow.
Denis
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:59:50 am by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 04:38:53 am »

I have the new Octo and am finding out PS is mostly only able to use 1 Core. Some things in PS can use more than 1 core, the new one has 16! (8 virtual ones). As soon as more than 1 core can be used PS is flying but only to drop back to disappointing behaviour once it falls back to 1 core.

As soon as PS can use all cores I reckon the faster processor of the older generation will outperform the newer one but it is difficult to say since the newer version has faster memory and a different architecture which also account for time spent processing.

I have no older version MP to compare it with. I do know for sure it will be a lot faster as soon as all cores can be used by PS. I have seen processor usage up to 1200%  in parts of badges that I have processed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 04:39:14 am by Dustbak »

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 04:43:36 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
I have the new Octo and am finding out PS is mostly only able to use 1 Core. Some things in PS can use more than 1 core, the new one has 16! (8 virtual ones). As soon as more than 1 core can be used PS is flying but only to drop back to disappointing behaviour once it falls back to 1 core.

As soon as PS can use all cores I reckon the faster processor of the older generation will outperform the newer one but it is difficult to say since the newer version has faster memory and a different architecture which also account for time spent processing.

I have no older version MP to compare it with. I do know for sure it will be a lot faster as soon as all cores can be used by PS. I have seen processor usage up to 1200%  in parts of badges that I have processed.

Thanks, I am leaning towards the old 3.0 machine.

Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 04:48:44 am »

I would have bought the old octo 2.8 version if it would have been substantially cheaper over here compared to the 2.26Nehalem. The price difference between the 2 was under 500euros.

If I would have put in a larger drive in the 2.8, more memory and a larger video card (to get the spec's to about the same as the 2.26Nehalem) the price difference would have been virtually nothing. This is why I eventually opted for the newer architecture. Now just praying 10.6 will help with using more cores or that the new 64bit CS5 won't be too long.

I think you will be pleased with eather machine, I know I would even though the word satisfied doesn't seem to exist in my vocabulary when it comes to processing power
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 05:12:04 am by Dustbak »
Pages: [1]   Go Up