Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Desperately need help getting OS X 10.4.11 to work with Epson 3800  (Read 6750 times)

Mike J

Help!  I've been working on this problem since last Wednesday.  I spent an hour on the phone with Epson support without satisfaction.  I followed the instructions here: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....c=28141&hl=  which were somewhat similar to what Epson support walked me through.  However, Epson support wasn't nearly as complete as the instructions listed in this forum.   I have a Mac PowerPC G5 with OS X 10.4.11 and the 3800 is connected with USB directly to the front of the computer (no hubs).  

My issue is that I cannot get the advanced setting for the Epson 3800 in the print dialog box.  I can't see "Print Settings" or other options to select.  This happens in any OS application - Photoshop CS3 and even Text Edit.  I've had numerous people tell me to just follow the manual but I've tried probably 20 times without it working.  I've reinstalled OS 10.4.11 which helped the Add Printers utility see an Epson USB driver (wasn't there before).  However, I still get the same Print Dialog options.  Apparently this indicates the Epson 3800 driver isn't being used but it lists this driver in the "Print & Fax" utility's list of printers.  I've downloaded the latest Epson (6.11 - actually driver 3.57 for Tiger).  

You can see the screen shots at another web site I went looking for help at:  http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00SsIx or I've tried to attach them here.  

I'm tempted to try a desperate suggestion by Epson support to try installing through an Ethernet connection.  I could give this a try with little expense other than more time invested.  If I don't find a solution soon I may have to consider returning this printer.  I can't see keeping something that won't let me access all the capability I paid for.  I saved up for this printer for months so I'm very disappointed.  It printed a color picture fine.  It wasn't until I wanted to try Advance Black and White mode that I found this problem.  I've searched the web many times but can't find something that works yet.  Would changing OS help?  

I really appreciate any advice.  I knew working with this printer would require some investment of my time but I don't feel as I'm making any progress.  

na goodman

Desperately need help getting OS X 10.4.11 to work with Epson 3800
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:47:28 pm »

I have printed with a G4 Powerbook to my 3800 using 10.4.11. So, I know you should be able to get it to work with Tiger with a G5. Go to your home directory/library/printers and delete the epson folder.
Go to your print and fax window and highlight and delete the 3800. I think in Tiger you have to option to reset the printer properties so you could also do that. This will basically be wiping any printers you have. After removing the files empty the trash and restart your computer. Then have your 3800 plugged into your computer and turned on. Reinstall the driver. Make sure you install it under Epson USB when you are in the print and fax window. Also there may be a drop down in the lower right corner to select All for paper options. Do this. You want to make sure you are installing the Epson driver and not the gimp driver that is part of the operating system. I think the summary that a poster was telling you to check is located by going to the apple/about this mac/more info/printers and there you should see your printer listed with driver version. Make sure it is the same driver version that you installed. I hope I explained this well enough for you to give it a try. Your are correct in stating you are missing the printer settings window. I'm on Leopard now so I hope all of my references to Tiger are correct. Hope it works. It is a great printer.

Mike J

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:23:14 am »

I tried your instructions.  It is very similar to what I've tried maybe a dozen times.  Here is the information from the "About this computer" as was suggested.  I've deleted the serial number of the printer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stylus Pro 3800:

Print Server:   Local
  Driver Version:   3.57
  Default:   Yes
  URI:   usb://EPSON/Stylus Pro 3800?serial=**********
  PPD:   EPSON SPro 3800 (1)
  PPD File Version:   1.0
  PostScript Version:   (3011.104) 0
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This time the Epson USB option was missing when I selected the more printers option in "Print and Fax".  However, I selected the SPro 3800 driver from the /Library/Printers/Epson/Inkjet directory just to be sure.  There was no "All" option available for paper sizes.  I picked Letter.  After all this, again, the same print dialog.  This is what really stumped the Epson support.  It looks like it sees the right driver yet the print dialog box doesn't indicate this.  

Mike J

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:37:23 am »

Just to prove that the GIMP driver is not showing up as active.  Here's another screen shot inside the "Print & Fax" window.   I've also shown the paper sizes available.  

na goodman

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:45:27 am »

Ok, it does look like the right driver. I would try switching usb cables and then switch to a different usb port if you can. I know you are probably sick of the routine by now. But after you try a different cable and usb port I would then re add the printer. You could just try deleting it from the print window and not go through the whole thing again but I would at least delete it there and then re add it. I'm wondering since you said Epson USB didn't show up if it might be the cable or the usb port you are using. I'm going to get some sleep now but I'll check in the morning and hopefully you will  be printing.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:28:30 am »

Quote from: Mike J
Would changing OS help?  

I really appreciate any advice.  I knew working with this printer would require some investment of my time but I don't feel as I'm making any progress.

It does sound like you have an issue with the OS.  This can be caused by conflicting drivers - when you are installing the printer, it may not still be finding the correct resources.

I would suggest two paths.  I'm sure you are frustrated, but I do know that the 3800 is a great printer, and works with OS X 10.4 and 10.5 very well.

First, rather than delete the epson folder, I would suggest you try uninstalling the driver - I believe there are some other files that need to be deleted not located in the Epson folder.  Be sure the printer is unplugged, and make sure you have deleted the printer from your print center. Restart the Mac.  Mount the disk image with the Epson driver installer, and select the uninstall option.  You may get an file busy error on some of the files - I think I did, but for me this still worked despite the error.  After the uninstall completes, I would again restart the mac.  Mount the disk image with the driver and install the driver (make sure the printer isn't plugged in yet, or the OS may attempt to locate a driver which might be Apples). After this I would restart the Mac once more, the plug in the printer and create it from the print center.  I don't remember 10.4 much but you may have to choose the More printers option, and select Epson USB to get the driver to load right.

If this doesn't work, you could resintall the OS.  Do an archive and install, but when you install use the custom options and don't allow the OS to install any printer drivers.  This way when you install the Epson driver you know it's the only one the system is aware of.

Good luck.

Mike J

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:26:54 pm »

OK, I've finally managed to try all the suggestions.  I tried uninstalling and restarting several times without success.  I reinstalled the Mac OS with custom installation (no printers & drivers) and still ended up with the same result.  I went and bought a new USB cable and tried it and that didn't work either.  

I'm showing another screen shot to show how the Epson USB doesn't show up in the "More Printers" option.   The Epson SPro 3800 driver shows up but no Epson USB in this window.  The only time I saw it was last night when I reinstalled the OS without custom installation (including drivers).    

I'm getting to the point where I might try installing via Ethernet.   I'm very confused.....

na goodman

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »

Can you click on More Printers and then get the Epson USB drop down. You really need to find that or you're not going to be add it usb.

Mike J

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 07:08:17 pm »

OK, I can get the Epson USB option to appear if I reinstall the Mac OS with basic installation.  I allow the printers and drivers to be installed as part of reinstalling OS.  I went and added the 3800 thru More Printers and selecting Epson USB.  You can see the result in the attached screen shot.  Notice that the printer is now listed as connected via Epson USB rather than just a USB.  However, I'm still not able to get any more options in the Print Dialog.  Also I have the CD for OS X 10.4.3 so I have to download updates to get back to 10.4.11 but I think I use the same driver.    

By the way,  I also tried Ethernet but got the same Print Dialog options.  So that doesn't appear an easy fix either.

Is there anyway some other part of the installation could be a problem such as firmware or the Epson LFP Remote panel?  I wish there was a way to identify the print setting file and try to install that directly.    

Thanks for your help.  I really appreciate it.  This forum has given the best solutions to try so far so I've learned it is a good resource.  Sorry if my frustration comes through at times.  I've probably put about 20+ hours into trying to solve this problem.  I don't claim to be a genius but I've got a Master's degree in Engineering so I hope I have at least a little technical competence.  The worst part is this should be so simple to do but is very stubborn to fix.

I'm afraid neither Apple or Epson is going to want to touch this because they will both claim their part is working.  If nothing improves I'll probably give Epson support another try.  I've got a case number.  If I can't solve anything by Wednesday or Thursday I will strongly consider returning the printer.  If moving to OS X 10.5 might help I might consider it.  However, I've already sunk money to various cables that haven't worked yet either.  

na goodman

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 09:23:27 pm »

So, are you saying that if you try to print from Photoshop or some other application when you click on the drop down menu that Printer Settings is not available.
If you still can't get it I would strongly urge you to call Epson again and ask for a higher level of support. Don't apologize for any frustration coming thru - it is totally understandable. You really shouldn't have to spend all this time and effort to get a print driver installed.

PeterTinson

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 12:30:07 pm »

I have come across a simular problem on OS 10.5.5.
The resolution was to download the driver version 6.10 from the Epson UK web site,
Befor installing delete the printer from the printers & faxes, install the printer driver, add the printer on USB.
Then the driver version shown comes up as 6.11 with all the options available.
Link to driver below.

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/FileDetai...F&id=318949

Peter
PeterT

Mike J

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 08:25:14 pm »

Thanks for the advice.  I tried the European driver with no success.  But it was a new approach that I haven't seen elsewhere.    

I got on with Epson support again.  They were very nice but seemed to rule out any issue on the Epson side.  She walked me through setting up the driver again.  She ruled out firmware issues.  They really believe it is an issue with the Mac OS.  They say the Guten Printer is not even showing up.  

I'm going to start researching issues with Mac OS and see what I find.  I think I've exhausted the issues with the driver installation.  

If I find anything I'll post on it.  

Mike J

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 09:06:29 pm »

Let me add one more weird thing.  When I add my HP Office Jet 4300 series cheapie printer, I am able to get other settings in the Print Dialog panel.  Also when I add the printer there are other installable options available for the HP while there isn't any listed for the 3800.  Maybe the OS is OK?  

francois

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 04:42:03 am »

Mike,
After all the time you've spent trying to troubleshoot your system, you could just spend two more minutes with FixaMac Printer Setup Repair. I don't thing that it'll solve your issue but you have nohting to lose at this point...

Download the demo software from this page: http://www.fixamac.net/software/index.html  (be sure to choose Printer Setup Repair 5.1.2) - The demo version lets you use the software for free for a few days...

You could also look at the console (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) when you try to add your printer and when ou try to print to see if some weird error messages appear.

Good luck!
Francois

Mike J

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 06:12:51 pm »

Solution found!!!

I was in a discussion on the apple.com user forums and someone had the proper suggestion.  In summary the issue was with a corrupted plist file.  By creating another user account and logging in, I was able to get all the features.  Follow the discussion at this link:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...21&tstart=0

Thanks to everyone here who posted suggestions.  You couldn't believe how frustrating it was.  I appreciate that others offered their help.  Maybe I'll come back as I learn the Epson 3800 and how to print!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up