Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Las Vegas Area In December  (Read 4604 times)

koolk2

Las Vegas Area In December
« on: March 28, 2009, 06:52:42 pm »

I just found out I will be attending a convention in Las Vegas in early December. I'll have 3 days to shoot before the convention starts.  I'm considering Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon, Bryce, and Zion. Is Arches and Monument Valley too far away to consider for this time frame?  Also what is the weather like at this time of year?

Lately I've been more of a macro shooter than a grand landscape photographer. Are there any good macro locations nearby at this time of year?

For research I have Volumes I & II of Photographing the Southwest and the complete edition of Photographing America. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Ken

masl

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:12:05 pm »

Quote from: koolk2
I just found out I will be attending a convention in Las Vegas in early December. I'll have 3 days to shoot before the convention starts.  I'm considering Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon, Bryce, and Zion. Is Arches and Monument Valley too far away to consider for this time frame?  Also what is the weather like at this time of year?

Lately I've been more of a macro shooter than a grand landscape photographer. Are there any good macro locations nearby at this time of year?

For research I have Volumes I & II of Photographing the Southwest and the complete edition of Photographing America. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Ken

So Arches and Monument Valley are out of the question IMO.  Day's ride each way (well 350+ mi, 6-7 hrs non-stop via I-70 to Arches and >400mi >8hrs non-stop to/from Monument Valley and much longer if you use the drive to see some spots along the way).  December can be tough at Bryce and even at Zion but beautiful regardless, be flexible and think about Valley of Fire and Death Valley as possible alternates if the weather isn't cooperating.  I'd probably skip VoF if the weather in Zion is good...

-Mark
[font="Verdana"][/font]Too much gear and

schrodingerscat

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:59:27 pm »

Quote from: koolk2

TIA,

Ken

Considering the time restraints, Red Rock, Boulder Dam, and Lake Mead.  If it's in the budget, rent a boat and spend a day on the lake. Arizona isn't that far either. Lots of nice desert in the area and find maps with the various ghost towns and smaller towns listed. Hell, Nevada isn't too far if I remember. My grandfather worked on the dam project and I spent many summers in Boulder City as a kid.

Days are usually mild, but it can get very cold once the sun sets. Be prepared for anything.

Depending on the vehicle, stay off of dirt roads. And if you see rain clouds anywhere, even on the horizon, stay clear of low spots(washes). Driving to Boulder from Vegas one day we saw three cars disappear in front of us in a flash flood, and it wasn't raining where we were. And when walking around in the desert, be alert for mine shafts. Most are just an unmarked hole in the ground. Very deep holes in the ground.

Even in the winter, when traveling the unbeaten paths out in the desert, carry a days water, some food, and plenty of warm cloths.

Don't mean to scare you, I've enjoyed many trips to the desert, but it's an unforgiving environment.

If you can find a library with back issues of Arizona Highways, it's an excellent resource.

summitgreen

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 01:25:46 pm »

Ken,

Remember in december if the storm hits early you'll have to travel with chains. You really do not want to skip on chains if you are on HWY 9 going through ZION. Switchbacks and cliffs that fall XXXXfeet.  If I were you, since you are a macro shooter. Spend 1 day at red rock. Drive the 13 mile loop slowly and scout out stuff you want to shoot and any macro flowers or what not.. Then you can spend the nite camping nearby.  THen do a a dawn shot then head out to Valley of fire. It's a big state park so lots of driving to do, but check in first to your campsite to see if you can get anything reserved. Then do a sunset shot and a dawn and u can browse around lake mead and hoover dam.

Also last I heard there is construction going on between VOF and Hoover so you might want to check out if it's passable

feethea

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:47:30 am »

A bit late in replying maybe but I would also suggest a trip to Palm Springs and then take the cable car up to Mount Jacinto - beautiful!

Vertigo2020

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 02:44:32 am »

Death Valley is only 100 miles or so.  December would be the pefect time to visit.  Stay away from the Racetrack Playa, I had an usual experience there last Easter Sunday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up