Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limits to Use of Collections ???  (Read 1635 times)

Farkled

Limits to Use of Collections ???
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:54:37 pm »

While I'm not going to completely abandon subject oriented folder structures, I need to get past the limitations thereby imposed.

I intend to use LR Collections as my subject organizer basis, but before I go completely down that road I'd like to know if there are limitations or "gotchas", rumored or real, to the use of collections.  I may well be wrong, but I believe their is a nesting limit of 5 (OK by me).  Is there a limit to the number of collections, images per collection, etc?

If collections are just an alternate form of index, I would expect the only limit to be disk.

I'm using Vista 64 and LR 64 bit version.

TIA

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:45:58 pm »

No effective limit. Just don't use them to the exclusion of other metadata like keywords, and make sure you use smart collections. Notice too that collections quietly save any print / show / web settings - LR remembers the last settings applied to any collection. And remember Delete only deletes an item from a collection, while Alt Ctrl Shift Delete allows you to delete the file from disk.

John

Farkled

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 09:28:51 pm »

Quote from: johnbeardy
No effective limit. Just don't use them to the exclusion of other metadata like keywords, and make sure you use smart collections. Notice too that collections quietly save any print / show / web settings - LR remembers the last settings applied to any collection. And remember Delete only deletes an item from a collection, while Alt Ctrl Shift Delete allows you to delete the file from disk.

John
That's what I needed to know.  Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up