Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance of CF/SD and microdrives in 1DSMKII  (Read 1701 times)

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
Performance of CF/SD and microdrives in 1DSMKII
« on: May 11, 2005, 09:13:20 am »

I am not really much of a data kind of guy, but since I have a selection of cards, I though I would share the results of a simple speed test with you. I shot the same scene handheld (out of my kitchen window) on the 1DSMKII on continuous drive mode as a burst up to the point where the buffer limited the rate of continuous shooting (nearly always eleven frames) and timed from first press of the shutter release until the media LED went out on the back of the camera. My camera is set to preview the last frame for two seconds and I do not know if this has any significant effect on buffer clearance (probably not):
Sandisk 1GB CF card (not write enhanced) burst of just ten frames 127secs
Toshiba 4GB CF card (write enhancement not specified) eleven frames 54secs
Hitachi 4GB Microdrive eleven frames 39secs
ATP 1GB CF card (write enhanced, but multiplication not specified) eleven frames 35secs
Apacer 1GB SD card (60x) eleven frames 29secs
Lexar Pro 2GB CF card (80x) eleven frames 24secs
Sandisk Ultra II 2GB SD card (66x) eleven frames 18secs

Clearly, the Sandisk Ultra II wins here, but what surprised me is that the microdrive performed quite respectably. I also tested a Kingston Elite Pro 66x, but the burst ended after about eight frames and error 02 appeared on the camera. I have only just got this card and it would not initially format in camera and had to be formatted on a PC and then formatted in camera. After the test, it would not format in anything, so it is going back for an RMA as faulty. Obviously, a sample of one tells nothing, but it still makes you wonder as the only other card failure I have had is with an IBM 1GB microdrive and I am fairly certain that this was due to the read head being squeezed (much more difficult to do with the 2 and 4GB microdrives which were redesigned).
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri
Pages: [1]   Go Up