Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with my Spectraview 2690  (Read 7837 times)

Etienne Cassar

Problems with my Spectraview 2690
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:40:25 am »

I have purchased a new NEC Spectraview 2690 monitor August last year and was very happy with it until in December I started getting a green line appearing down my screen about 2inch away from the left bezel. This persisted for a few hours and then disappeared and didn't recur again until about a month ago. Only this time it was becoming more persistent and was lasting for a whole day. I contacted NEC and they promptly answered that the monitor will need repair and offered me to either have it repaired or exchanged. I decided to have it repaired because I thought that I wouldn't have known the history of the replacement monitor they will send me if I decide to have it exchanged. I was quite happy with their service because they also paid for the freight (monitor had to be shipped to Germany from Malta and back). All I had to do was place the monitor in its original box and wait for the TNT guy to come and pick it up.
Only problem was that when the monitor came back 3 weeks later, I noticed that it has up to 25 defective pixels. They appear as bluish white tiny spots on a black screen (one of them is red). Also on the left hand side the picture isn't as clear as on the right. When looking closer it seems as if there are horizontal rows of light and dark pixels, One other thing that I noticed is that on a grey screen I can see a wave of flicker going up from the bottom end of the screen.
I have informed NEC support about my issues last Tuesday and up till now I haven't recieved a reply back from them. I cannot understand how they possibly sent me back a monitor in such a state. Wouldn't it have been clear that I will have compained about it and not accepted it? Not even a cheap consumer grade monitor will have so many defective pixels. What do you guys think about it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:43:07 am by ecassar »

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:42:39 pm »

Quote from: ecassar
I have purchased a new NEC Spectraview 2690 monitor August last year and was very happy with it until in December I started getting a green line appearing down my screen about 2inch away from the left bezel. This persisted for a few hours and then disappeared and didn't recur again until about a month ago. Only this time it was becoming more persistent and was lasting for a whole day. I contacted NEC and they promptly answered that the monitor will need repair and offered me to either have it repaired or exchanged. I decided to have it repaired because I thought that I wouldn't have known the history of the replacement monitor they will send me if I decide to have it exchanged. I was quite happy with their service because they also paid for the freight (monitor had to be shipped to Germany from Malta and back). All I had to do was place the monitor in its original box and wait for the TNT guy to come and pick it up.
Only problem was that when the monitor came back 3 weeks later, I noticed that it has up to 25 defective pixels. They appear as bluish white tiny spots on a black screen (one of them is red). Also on the left hand side the picture isn't as clear as on the right. When looking closer it seems as if there are horizontal rows of light and dark pixels, One other thing that I noticed is that on a grey screen I can see a wave of flicker going up from the bottom end of the screen.
I have informed NEC support about my issues last Tuesday and up till now I haven't recieved a reply back from them. I cannot understand how they possibly sent me back a monitor in such a state. Wouldn't it have been clear that I will have compained about it and not accepted it? Not even a cheap consumer grade monitor will have so many defective pixels. What do you guys think about it.

They should definitely give you a replacement. That's poor service. I have had the 2690 for almost 2 years and had a problem with calibrating recently and NEC gave me excellent service. They talked me through some steps to find the problem and finally discovered that my monitor had a bad firmware and sent me a refurbished replacement which works and calibrates perfectly.
The monitor comes with a 4 year warranty. This was in the U.S.

Etienne Cassar

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:26:47 pm »

Quote from: Wolfman
They should definitely give you a replacement. That's poor service. I have had the 2690 for almost 2 years and had a problem with calibrating recently and NEC gave me excellent service. They talked me through some steps to find the problem and finally discovered that my monitor had a bad firmware and sent me a refurbished replacement which works and calibrates perfectly.
The monitor comes with a 4 year warranty. This was in the U.S.
In the EU it comes with a 3yr warranty, but mine is only 7months old.  I cannot understand why they took prompt action when I contacted them about my first issue and now it is already four days and I have no reply.

Etienne Cassar

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:35:28 am »

Finally I recieved a reply from NEC.  They are going to exchange my monitor.  Hope that the replacement will be free from faults.  My only concern now is that they send a heavily used replacement model, because my monitor is only a few months old.  Is there any way to know how old, or how many hours of work a monitor, has recieved?

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:10:03 am »

Quote from: ecassar
Finally I recieved a reply from NEC.  They are going to exchange my monitor.  Hope that the replacement will be free from faults.  My only concern now is that they send a heavily used replacement model, because my monitor is only a few months old.  Is there any way to know how old, or how many hours of work a monitor, has recieved?

When I calibrate my 3090 with SpectraViewII I get information about when the last calibration was, as well as a statement of the total number of hours the monitor has been used;  this is similar to the software that tells how many shutter activations a digital camera has had.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:11:24 am by walter.sk »

Etienne Cassar

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 11:24:53 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
When I calibrate my 3090 with SpectraViewII I get information about when the last calibration was, as well as a statement of the total number of hours the monitor has been used;  this is similar to the software that tells how many shutter activations a digital camera has had.
Thanks for replying.  But that is only true for the US version of Spectraview software.  I have the EU version and doesn't give any info about the number of hours the monitor has been used.

Etienne Cassar

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 04:44:57 pm »

I have just received the replacement monitor after 3wks of struggle with the Spectraview team.  But this unit now has another fault.  When I switch it off and then back on I get strange colourations.  If, for example I set up a black to white gradient in photoshop, then switch off the monitor and switch if back on, I get verticle bands of red and green.  I will have to switch off and then back on the colour comp function of the monitor for them the disappear, only to get them back when I switch monitor off and back on.  I tried reinstalling videocard driver, Spectraview software, resetting monitor to factory default, and also tried connecting it to my laptop, but same thing still happens.  Anyone knows what's the problem now?  This didn't happen with the previous unit.  I am attaching a picture showing the banding.

Etienne Cassar

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 03:59:10 am »

NEC have decided to send me an upgrade monitor (Spectraview 2690 Reference).  I hope that this is free from faults now.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:13:30 am by ecassar »

Etienne Cassar

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:19:56 am »

The monitor doom continues.  I have received the Spectraview Reference 2690.  It is a great monitor, but there is one thing about it.  It is behaving just like a Multisync 2690 v2 not like a Spectraview, meaning that I cannot calibrate it with the Spectraview Profiler software.  The hardware calibration option is appearing grayed out and when I try to calibrate using one of the other options it is asking me for a licence.  I have just been on the phone with one of the Basiccolor technical guys, who agreed with me that the sofware is behaving exactly as if a Multisync monitor was attached to my pc not a spectraview one.  But the label on my monitor reads SpectraView Reference 2690 and the upgrade unit had to be a SpectraView Reference 2690.  I am now helplessly awaiting feedback from the Basiccolor team.  Now I am really pissed off about all this!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:20:30 am by ecassar »

Etienne Cassar

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 02:11:56 pm »

Ok.  I am in for a fourth monitor swap.  At first NEC was insisting that it was an incompatibility issue, and that I had to sort it out with the BasicColor team, but after discussing the issue with the latter, and also trying the monitor with my brother's laptop, with the same result, BasicColor concluded that most probably the monitor was not set to the Spectraview mode.  NEC seems like very convinced that this is not the case but have decided to send me another 2690 Reference unit for me to try.  I just hope that this time everything will work out the right way.

Etienne Cassar

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 02:41:39 pm »

All's well that ends well.  I have recieved another Spectraview 2690 Reference unit, and this time I was able to hardware calibrate it using the Spectraview Profiler software.  Things have been sorted out at last, and I am a happy guy again.  Off to process my photos again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up