Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG Files in lightroom  (Read 2349 times)

ederecat

DNG Files in lightroom
« on: March 27, 2009, 07:21:33 pm »

When I make adjustments in Lightroom on DNG files, the changes do not show in the original file when I open it in photoshop CS4.

colinb

DNG Files in lightroom
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:28:27 pm »

Quote from: ederecat
When I make adjustments in Lightroom on DNG files, the changes do not show in the original file when I open it in photoshop CS4.

depending on exactly how you're opening the files in CS4, this is expected behaviour. When you make changes in LR, it doesn't alter the DNG file. It just remembers the instructions for making those changes so that it can render a changed version of the file every time you look at it in LR. To see those changes in a program other than LR, you have to bake them in by exporting the file, or opening in CS4 with LR adjustments.

One way to think of it is that looking at your image in LR is like seeing it through a bunch of optical filters [a bit of +exposure here, a little -saturation there etc]. The thing you're looking at is unchanged until you tell it to glue the filters down onto the image.

This is the whole business of non-destructive editing. LR allows you to experiment freely with different permutations of settings without ever changing [damaging] the underlying image file. Once you hit upon a set of settings you like, you can bake them in [export them] and see the modified result in other programs.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
DNG Files in lightroom
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:47:24 pm »

That is not correct.

When you choose to edit in Photoshop, you absolutely should see the DNG file with ALL your LR adjustments. If it is not coming in that way, something is wrong. Not sure what... is there a configuration setting?

Edit: On second read, I misunderstood the question. The response is correct. Instead of trying to open the DNG directly with PS, just send it over directly from LR, and you will see all of your adjustments.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 07:51:33 pm by JDClements »

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
DNG Files in lightroom
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:49:57 pm »

Quote from: JDClements
That is not correct.

When you choose to edit in Photoshop, you absolutely should see the DNG file with ALL your LR adjustments. If it is not coming in that way, something is wrong. Not sure what... is there a configuration setting?
Check your LR settings and prefs, the DNG file will only update if set to do so, both for the embedded jpeg and the xmp metadata.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica
Pages: [1]   Go Up