Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto cleaning on the Epson 7900  (Read 5580 times)

Paul Eby

• http://www.digitalokpphoto.com
Auto cleaning on the Epson 7900
« on: March 27, 2009, 11:13:13 am »

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.
I have the "auto cleaning" function turned off on our 7900 but it still goes through cleaning cycles on it's own. The firmware version installed is 1.1. Is there another menu area I need to change? - Paul

JimGoshorn

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:26:02 am »

Quote from: Paul Eby
I have the "auto cleaning" function turned off on our 7900 but it still goes through cleaning cycles on it's own. The firmware version installed is 1.1. Is there another menu area I need to change? - Paul

I installed the latest firmware version on the U.S. site and have auto cleaning off and haven't had a single cleaning cycle. From what I understand the latest firmware was supposed to turn off the cleaning check when the printer is turned on.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:26:29 am by JimGoshorn »

Paul Eby

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:50:16 am »

Quote from: JimGoshorn
I installed the latest firmware version on the U.S. site and have auto cleaning off and haven't had a single cleaning cycle. From what I understand the latest firmware was supposed to turn off the cleaning check when the printer is turned on.

Jim

Made a mistake on the present firmware version, the 1.11 is the NIC F/W version. I see that the printer version is now HN01692. Is this the latest version? - Paul

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:28:53 pm »

This topic is already being widely discussed in the thread below.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=29823

Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 06:27:13 pm »

Quote from: Ionaca
This topic is already being widely discussed in the thread below.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=29823

This is similar but perhaps not quite the same as what is being discussed in that thread ... that's more about the printer starting an auto clean despite the fact that a nozzle check shows no clogs - a problem with the auto ink detect system.

I guess my question is are these cleanings starting at random while the printer is on, not just when starting up?  That doesn't sound normal, if indeed the auto nozzle detect as been turned off.  You did verify the setting "held" by checking it?  I do believe most printers have some built in criteria for initiating a cleaning cycle as standard maintenance, but these are usually pretty infrequent.

Paul Eby

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 06:11:22 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
This is similar but perhaps not quite the same as what is being discussed in that thread ... that's more about the printer starting an auto clean despite the fact that a nozzle check shows no clogs - a problem with the auto ink detect system.

I guess my question is are these cleanings starting at random while the printer is on, not just when starting up?  That doesn't sound normal, if indeed the auto nozzle detect as been turned off.  You did verify the setting "held" by checking it?  I do believe most printers have some built in criteria for initiating a cleaning cycle as standard maintenance, but these are usually pretty infrequent.

The cleaning cycle initiated just prior to executing a print job. After the cleaning function ended it showed a "fail" message to which I choose not to repeat and continue. Upon finishing that job I started another but the print results for this one showed lines in the print so I did a nozzle check to find 3 colours showing clogs. After doing a "two colour" clean the clogs were cleared with just one attempt.

I am concerned that the printer is clogging after less than a weeks use. Our 7600 was installed for over a year before clogs became an issue.

JimGoshorn

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 10:22:43 am »

The cleaning cycle initiated just prior to executing a print job.

The firmware I installed is HN00902170 which is the latest on the U.S. site. After turning off the cleaning feature, I have not seen any attempts to run a cycle before a print job.

Jim

Paul Eby

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 06:37:30 pm »

Quote from: JimGoshorn
The firmware I installed is HN00902170 which is the latest on the U.S. site. After turning off the cleaning feature, I have not seen any attempts to run a cycle before a print job.

Jim

Interesting...the file I downloaded was labeled HN00902170 and that's what I used for the update. However when I open up "Epson LPF remote panel 2" it shows HN01692.... even after a couple of attempts.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 02:42:46 am »

The cleaning cycle initiated just prior to executing a print job. After the cleaning function ended it showed a "fail" message to which I choose not to repeat and continue. Upon finishing that job I started another but the print results for this one showed lines in the print so I did a nozzle check to find 3 colours showing clogs. After doing a "two colour" clean the clogs were cleared with just one attempt.

I am concerned that the printer is clogging after less than a weeks use. Our 7600 was installed for over a year before clogs became an issue.

This should only happen if you have the Auto Nozzle Detect function enabled.  It sounds like it was, and correctly detected a clog.  As the thread in Ryans link discusses this in depth ... it appears some of the new printers are having problems clogging more than they should.  It took Epson 3 visits to get my 7900 operating correctly.  I've had no clogs for a couple of months now.  It may clear up itself after a couple of cleanings, if not call Epson Preferred support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up